Zoe's Medical Thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:27 pm

I think (I do not know, just think it logical) that inflamed bladder tissue from crystals, and blood in the urine, can cause a funky smell even without infection present. It won't be the same smell as infection, but I could imagine bloody urine on fleece funkifying.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Love the word "funkifying". I do find if I can keep Zoe well hydrated and dilute her urine the smell is better.

I am trying to find new ways and products to wash the fleece to try and eliminate any residual odor without irritating their feet. bpatters starting me thinking maybe the fleece has something to do with the smell.

I change out the pads in their houses and cuddle cups two to three times a day depending on how much time they spend in them and the main fleece every day so it doesn't hang around very long in their cage. I use incontinent pads under the main fleece which gets throw out daily.

I use a natural unscented laundry soap so it might not be the best for the smell. I washed the last load with some vinegar and was wondering if oxi clean or borax in the wash would help. Any suggestions?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:39 am

OxiClean, or something like it will help.

I think natural soaps are just not strong enough to get the job done. I wash with strong detergent, hot water, and plenty of bleach. I use only fleece (no padding, as I use pellets underneath), and have no trouble with the fleece smelling at all.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Thanks bpatter. I have Oxi Clean and will try it on my next piggy wash. The odor is better since adding vinegar to the wash cycle.

The other thing that crossed my mind is bladder tumor. There was a faint something in Zoe's bladder on her X-ray when her vet magnified it. I asked if it could be a tumor and she didn't think so. It was nothing obvious but it left me wondering.

I think there was a thread lately on a pig that had a bladder tumor but I can't seem to find it. Anyone recall this and know where to locate it? I have hunted a couple of times.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:37 pm

You have a better memory than I do! I wish I could find it for you.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:37 pm

The key word Lynx is "think". I am getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be so I could be wrong. If I remember correctly it was a thread on blood in urine, urinary tract infections that ended up being some kind of growth or tumor in the bladder.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:36 pm

I found it Lynx. It is an old thread and I forgot I found it through google. So I guess my old mind got it half right. It was on Guinea Lynx at least.

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=209

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:51 am

No wonder you couldn't find it in this forum! (it's in the Records forum). Google does good things :-)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Pepper had a bladder polyp removed in Jan. Don't know if that's a possibility.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Bookfan, anything is possible. She is eating well and active but she is having some slight weight loss. She is almost 5 1/2 so not old but at an age where things can start to happen health wise. Still blood in her urine but it could be due to irritation from the calcium crystals. I am monitoring her for now because the last two urinalysis were normal and there is no indication of stones on the X-ray so not sure what else to do. She also has no pain or discomfort when urinating.

Does Pepper have a thread with information on her symptoms? I will go right now and see if I can find it. Thank you.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Piroxicam, a relative of meloxicam, has some anti-cancer properties. It might be worth asking your vet about.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 847#943847

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 863#951863

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:37 am

Here is Pepper's thread in case you didn't find it:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ght=pepper

It starts at 12/31/15.