Zoe's Medical Thread

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:37 am

Here is a picture I just took of Zoe munching hay.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:49 am

She's looking well and quite alert. When my sow had her spay, I kept her separate for about 1-1.5 weeks so I could monitor her food and hay in take and make sure my other girls weren't stealing her vegetables etc.

I also had her in a 2 by 2.5 CC hospital cage but she wasn't that active initially post her surgery.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:15 pm

GP_mum It is easy to keep an eye on her bodily functions and food consumption when she is separate but I am concerned she is not moving enough.

How long was it before your sow started to move around more? Right now Zoe seems quite content to go from her house to the hay pile. I am hoping I will see the signs that she needs more space.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:31 pm

A week of relative inactivity won't hurt her as long as she's moving around the cage.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 pm

bpatters She is moving around the cage. Do you think I should make a small run and sit with her for maybe 5 minutes a couple of times a day? I have a closet full of extra grids. Maybe the exercise would encourage her to drink some water??

If I don't see her out every hour or so I remove the house for a little while to get her moving.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:10 pm

I'd just let her be, if it were me. Mine had a stone removed, and I left her in a cage the size of yours for about three or four days, then starting moving the grids out a bit.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks bpatters: I want to do the very best for Zoe and I can learn from others experiences. What you said makes sense and sounds like a good plan.

The small cage is convenient for so many reasons. One of the reasons I haven't mentioned is cleanliness. I have many, many fleece pads with a flannel center so I can change her bedding every hour to make sure she is always kept spotless. I wouldn't have the same control if she was in her regular cage with Abbey.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:28 pm

I am so relieved. I heard the water bottle and expected to see Abbey drinking, but it was Zoe. She came out of her house and was drinking from her water bottle!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:39 pm

We had recommended 2 or three weeks alone (perhaps nearby but smaller cage) and restricted movement after major surgery to help prevent adhesions (tears at the incision site - scarring). I would leave her in the small cage.
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:39 pm

My sow was pretty inactive after her spay. For the 1st day back she was very dopey as the vet had prescribed a stronger pain med. I discontinued after 1.5 days and moved to the other pain meds. This was after she had ended up sleeping in her pellet dish while eating her pellets and generally alseep more often than awake.

After the surgery, she just moved a short distance from her hidey to the hay pile and her water bottle.

I agree with bpatters that the limited activity for a week or so should be ok.

She sounds like she is recovering well as she's eating, drinking and moving about.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:01 pm

I am relieved to hear that everyone that has replied is on the same page. That gives me the confidence to continue on with what I am doing. Thank you.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:29 pm

When I asked Zoe if she was hungry and wanted her supper she started wheeking. A definite "yes".

Here is a picture of Abbey visiting her sister during floor time.