Zoe's Medical Thread

Post Reply
User avatar
Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2017

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:18 am


Wow, that's a great price on a spay. I was quoted $304 - $472, depending on how complicated it ended up being. On the flip side, I called around for the price of an ultrasound and was quoted $125 to $225 with the higher price being if they had to do the chest cavity, too. Another good reason to go ahead with the spay now is Zoe's age. She's in middle age now and it will be harder to do as she gets older. Hope Zoe is still rumbling for you. :)

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:54 am


I appreciate your input Catie Cavy. It is such a good feeling knowing others understand what we go through with these little guys. I have one good friend with two sows who is a great support. I actually met her on Guinea Pigs Cages forum. She only lives 45 minutes away and uses the same vet. What are the chances of meeting someone on a forum that lives so close.

I agree with you about Zoe's age. Both my sows turn four on March 26th. If I am going to do it now is the time.

How is Fluffy doing?

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:58 pm


Help! The surgery is scheduled for Tuesday and Zoe is doing so well right now. The odd little short rumble maybe once a day but she should be going into her regular heat cycle about now. We are doing the spay based on the long heat cycles and tenderness when having her ovaries examined. Is that enough?

Do I book an ultrasound and spend the $300 plus, go ahead with the surgery, or just take the wait and see approach? I booked off work already and I am not sure if I can do that again until the end of June.

She probably has a very good chance of making it through the surgery because she is healthy and in great shape but do I want to take the risk if it isn't necessary? Oh how I hate grey. If only I had been able to get the surgery done a week ago when it was black and white.

I put a call into her vet and hopefully she will call back tomorrow morning.

Is there any other reason besides ovarian cysts that could cause a sow to rumble as if in heat and try and mount her cage mate for over a month?

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:40 pm


Could a small cyst form on her ovaries, burst and be reabsorbed? I know this happens in women. That may explain what is happening.

User avatar
Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2017

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:42 pm


I remember this thread from not too long ago in case it helps.

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71258&highlight=

If you do cancel the surgery and then want to reschedule before June, could you do it on a Thursday or Friday? That way perhaps you could take less time off from work since you'll have the weekend to be home. Sorry I can't be more help. I'm not good with grey areas either.

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:46 pm


That thread was helpful. Thank you. Just being able to brain storm with others helps with my stress level which is very high at the moment. So maybe small cysts can form, break and get reabsorbed.

I asked the vet clinic to have Zoe's vet call me and I also e-mailed her. I will let you know what she says when I get an answer.

My friend said when she had an ultrasound done only on her sow's ovaries and uterus it was $70 which would be worth it.

I will wait until I hear back from Zoe's vet before making a decision.

Her vet only operates on Tuesdays. She is the only exotic vet there and that is all she does. I think she is supposed to be spaying 4 rabbits on the same day as Zoe is scheduled.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:55 pm


This is one of those things that if you went ahead with it, you would only in retrospect be able to say it was a good or bad choice. Hopefully your vet will help you make a decision you end up being happy with.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:55 pm


We've had females that I swear developed cysts (based on behavior and the appearance of their flanks), and they either drained internally (slowly, not bursting), were reabsorbed, or something otherwise not harmful. At the time our vet did not have ultrasound (and the pigs were otherwise well), so I never had it checked out, but on the basis of behavior and body shape fluctuations, that sure did seem to be exactly what happened.

That said, I can guarantee you the minute you cancel the surgery, she'll go on another 4-week tear of bad behavior and misery. Guinea pigs' cycles are 15-17 days, so what essentially is happening to her is that she has (effectively) two cycles in a row without her body getting a break.

Catie's suggestion is a good one, with the only exception being that if anything goes awry, then you can't access the vet. I try not to schedule surgeries for a Thursday or Friday (and certainly not right before a holiday) if at all possible. My work hours are flexible, though, and if work scheduling is an issue, Catie's suggestion may help.

At this point I'd want the ultrasound first. MHO only.

Do let us know what the vet says.

User avatar
Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2017

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:10 am


How are you and Zoe doing? Did she have an ultrasound yesterday? Is surgery still on for today?

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:03 pm


Zoe was back rumbling again yesterday so I went ahead with the surgery. She had her surgery about noon today and when I phoned at 2:00 pm they said she was doing well and as soon as she wakes up they will offer her food.

I am going to see her about 5:30 or 6:00 when she will hopefully be more awake and see if she will eat. Our vet office is open until 7:00 pm today.

It is a 45 minute drive to our vet and I was amazed how Zoe did without Abbey in the car with her. She was eating greens, munching on hay and totally relaxed even when we got to the vets. I took her in her 1 x 2 C & C travel/hospital cage so I could put a house at one end and a canopy over the hay at the other end. I left her with hay, pellets and a water bottle at 7:30am and headed off to work.

Our vet doesn't fast guinea pigs at all so she was able to have food right up until the surgery which would be a comfort to her. They flush out the mouth and throat just before the surgery.

I will let you know how she is doing after I see her. She has to stay overnight and if all goes well I will pick her up tomorrow morning.

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:43 pm


I haven't talked to Zoe's vet yet but apparently there were no cysts on Zoe's ovaries. I haven't asked about the condition of her uterus yet.

So.....Now that I am getting over the shock what was causing all that rumbling? It will be very interesting to see what the future holds.

Is there anything other than reproductive issues that could cause these symptoms?

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:06 pm


The rumbling sounds like it was definitely hormonal. A spay will take care of all those hormonal causes - still very worthwhile.

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:20 pm


Thanks Lynx. I have been feeling bad wondering if I made the right decision. When I think about it logically and not emotionally I realize Zoe can't go on with back to back heat cycles. It is too hard on her and Abbey.

I thought Abbey would miss Zoe but she is loving being an only child. She is bouncing around and out and about much more with Zoe out of the cage.

I will be picking Zoe up in a couple of hours. I had a visit with her last night and she ate all the greens I offered her. When I phoned this morning they said she is eating more greens and some hay.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:03 pm


That sounds very encouragin!

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:22 pm


I have Zoe home and she is doing remarkably well. I just gave her a dose of Metacam. The vet office measures out the dose in individual syringes.

I am lucky to have such a good vet. The night techs not only monitored her all night they took turns carrying her around in her cuddle cup so should would get lots of love and attention. They encouraged her to eat hay and greens and drink.

When I picked her up she was munching on hay! There were lots of normal poops and wet spots of pee already. I hope I can do as good a job as the techs.

I take in cuddle cups for vet exams and surgeries. After the surgery they put Zoe in her cuddle cup. My vet and the techs love them because it is so easy to pick them up and check on them without hurting them.

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:56 pm


I take back the normal poops. They must of been the ones she did before the surgery. The ones she is passing are sticky and misshapen which makes more sense after all the drugs she has had. They are firm and not loose so I am just happy to see them. I am sure them will normalize by tomorrow.

User avatar
GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:14 pm


Glad to hear she is doing well after surgery. Eating and pooping (although misshappened and soft) are good signs post surgery. Continued good wishes that she has a quick recovery.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:21 am


Ditto. Keep us posted.

You may have some more ups and downs before she stays up for good. Be prepared for that.

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:32 am


Thanks everyone for your support. It is a bit stressful. She is doing okay but I was wondering if she needs more pain medication than I was given for her.

This morning she would walk a couple of steps and then lie down on her side, walk and lie down as if she was trying to take the pressure off her tummy. She couldn't settle on her breakfast. I took her out and checked her wound (which looked good) and put her in her cuddle cup and proceeded to feed her. On my lap she ate all of her greens and took her vitamin C. I put her back in her 1 x 2 C & C hospital cage and she is now eating hay.

She is producing lots of "almost" normal poops and pee. I haven't seen her drink any water yet but I did syringe a small amount to her last night and I really wet her greens.

She is getting 0.07 mls of metacam once a day and is not due for her next dose until noon (4 1/2 hours from now). Do you think she needs pain medication more often?

User avatar
Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 am


I also have a question about exercise. I was told that I could put Zoe back in her normal cage with Abbey as long as Abbey wasn't bugging her. I tried but Abbey was pestering her and I didn't feel good about it. Zoe needs to eat and rest so I put her back into the 1 x 2 cage.

I know they try and get humans up and about soon after surgery. Is the 1 x 2 too small for a healthy recovery? Should I get her out in an enclosed run for a few minutes every day to gain strength?

Post Reply
267 posts