Nebulizer experience

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Rescue pig has pneumonia. She's been on and off abx for URIs for the past several months. But it has now turned to pneumonia. We have started nebulizer treatment. How long before we see better breathing?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Should be pretty quickly. I've not nebulized anyone but from what I've read here, she should be breathing better, at least, very quickly.

How often are the treatments (x per day)?

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:02 pm

My sow's breathing improved a few hours after the nebulization session. All the best with the rescue piggy.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:41 pm

She is gettng treatments twice a day. Still not tons better.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:49 pm

What's in the nebulizer (i.e., what AB(s))?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:45 pm

I don't remember a dramatic change in Lucy with nebulizer treatments. We started nebulizer & antibiotics at about the same time, though, so it was hard to tell the effect of one from the other. She got an injection of the antibiotic at the vets to kick start the process & the worst of her breathing sounds went away.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:29 am

She is on albuterol (sp?) in nebulizer and Baytril orally.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:55 am

So they're not using an antibiotic in the nebulizer? If she has pneumonia, I'd expect them to do that. Albuterol dilates the lung passages, but that's about all it does, as far as I know.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:03 am

See here for detail of our pneumonia treatment for Lucy:

http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=214

We added Acetylcysteine to her nebulizer saline. I don't know what that is, though.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:25 am

Acetylcysteine dissolves/softens mucus so it can be expelled.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:06 pm

I guess she figured since she was on Baytril it wasn't needed in neb? This may be a situation where she has not seen or done much with gp's and nebulizers. She has an appointment on Saturday since she's not much better. I will have foster mom print out Bookfan's experience and take it with to vet.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:10 pm

I know there have been several ABs that have been nebulized for guinea pigs. The only one I remember at the moment is gentamycin, and maybe doxycycline. Maybe someone else will remember whose pigs got those treatments and you can look up some more information.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:49 pm

Is this Dr. A.? Tell her the tribe has spoken and maybe print out some of the nebulizer threads/instructions here.

http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=58

Also ask about a Baytril/doxy combo. Those two together can work as more than the sum of their parts in knocking out a well-set-in URI.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:56 am

Yes, Dr. A. We have a chamber built so I guess it's the contents being used in the treatment that we need to tweak.

I'll have Tracey mention the AB combo too. She's done it before in some pigs at my house.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:18 am

Baytril + doxy is what both the emergency vet & my regular vet used for Lucy. But neither suggested putting AB in the nebulizer.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:08 pm

If you use the search function and look for gentamycin in the Emergency and Medical forum and have it return posts instead of topics, you'll find a bunch of hits about nebulized gentamycin.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:10 am

I will read through those when I dump this medicine I'm on & start feeling like a normal person again, which is hopefully soon.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:02 am

So, Monk isn't much better, still. We are about to ask once again for gentamycin for her neb. Does anyone have the dosage information? I really don't have time to weed through 20 or so pages of search hits.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:14 pm

When I was prescribed Gentamicin for my sow's nebulization, it was 1ML to 4MLs of saline to make a total solution of 5ML. Not sure of strength of the Gentamicin as the bottle is wrapped in tape by the clinic. My sow was 750-770g and I nebulized for about 15mins+/- with 5mls.

24 posts