severe mites--need Dex dose quick

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:52 pm

Plant a kilo of coke in his house, and then call the cops?

Teresa

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:54 pm

Any way to get the ac to practically guarantee taking them?

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:55 pm

Is just seeing the state of the ones currently in your care enough evidence or whatever?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:01 pm

No, the ones she has already saved ac can't do anything about. I don't think there are any guarentees.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:02 pm

Drat.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:13 pm

Get the pigs out. Figure out some way to threaten him with continually reporting him to ac if he ever gets more animals. Don't know how realistic that is. But, if there's a chance of working that angle, maybe WITH ac, that's what I'd go for. How close by are any neighbors?

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:23 pm

He's in an affluent suburb.

I figure we had best get the pigs out (if we even can--still trying to find out if I can get enough volunteer help to cover all these sickies) and forget about prosecuting. I don't know how good AC out here is.

But if he won't turn them over you had better believe I will call.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:09 pm

That was going to be my advice also, get the pigs out who are at risk. I understand that it does nothing for future problems, but I live in the moment, anyway.

Save the ones you can.

LindsayMarie

Post   » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:13 pm

I do realize how important it is to get the remaining piggies out of the house. However I am a firm believer that people must take responsiblity for their wrongful actions or in this case, lack of needed actions.

Everyone is right in that if this man is "relieved" of all the sick piggies and suffers no reprecussions for his pathetic care for them, then he and his family WILL acquire more animals and they too will suffer.

At least if he is reported and animal control is sent out to their place, then their names go on file and if an animal or more needs to be seized then often in many states, if not all, they will be unable to own anymore animals for many years, even for their lifetime.

Yes you could just get the pigs out and be a great person that way. Unfortunately though, that wont cure the problem in my opinion. As long as he goes "unnoticed", he will continue to care for all future animals in this manor.

Often if one animal, in this case 2 piggies (very sick) were removed. The females remaining at the home are probably not in any better shape or in any better of an enclosure then the 2 removed. If animal control goes out and sees this, I doubt they will let them remain in the home. Of course this is if you have a good animal control center around you!

I am sure this is a very hard decision for you. No one should have to make it. It makes me sick to see and hear of what people do to animals and even humans. I feel there needs to be rougher laws and penalties for one. Also more people need to get involved. What I mean by that, is you would be surprised by the number of people that live by or stand by and watch an animal get abused and say nor report anything. In a way those people are no better.

For example: Last week I was at a local grocery store 12am in the morning trying to do some last minute shopping. As my spouse and I went to our car, we saw a family, husband, wife and 2 kids in the parking lot, having a GOOD time. We noticed them poking and flinging around a turtle, a fairly big one. We continued to put our groceries in the car and even got in the car. We were so angry but unsure what to do. My blood was boiling, in this time another family walked right by them, not even 1 foot from them and just watched as they spinned the poor turtle on its back like spin the bottle or something. Everyone laughing and having a good time while the turtle struggles to breath and get free. Everytime the turtle tried to walk away in any direction the guy would stomp his foot in front of it, even accidently stepping on the turtle once. I finally got out of my car and asked if that was their pet. Whether I handled this situation correctly, I have no idea. In less then 5 minutes, the confrontation turned into a screaming match that I ended by leaving because he was obviously intoxicated or on drugs and pretty ignorant and it could have gotten real nasty. Unfortunately in the end they took the turtle. After that I cried over an hour on my spouses shoulder. I felt like I had done no good and probably made it worse on the turtle.

But now when I think about it, at least I didnt stand by and watch and do nothing. At least I cared and tried. At least someone told this man that what he was doing was wrong and harmful to the turtle and yes his kids heard me, so maybe they will learn that this is not the right way to treat an animal.

Anyways, I know I am way off subject. Just mistreatment of animals is a sensitive subject for me as I am sure it is of everyone else as well. I wanted to add a different view and opinion. Whatever decision you make, it has to be the right decision for you and the situation. As only you are the one in that specific situation at this time. I wish you luck and I will pray for the piggies. I wish I lived closer and could try to help. I hope this is not taken the wrong way as this is not an attack on you or anyone else here. But I am sure you understand that :) Take care, LindsayMarie

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:43 pm

I spoke with Jim yesterday and it looks like he may voluntarily surrender the pigs. Fenella in San Diego has offered to take them on Sunday, in which case we will send them along with donation money and some Ivermectin for her trouble. I'll talk to Jim later to see if he has made up his mind. If not, I will call AC back.

I took some more pictures of the boys so that you all could see their progress. The bigger one has lost almost all of his hair all of a sudden--not sure if that's normal. If anyone knows please enlighten me.

Sorry I can't resize the photos. I don't have the software to do it:

http://nikspiggies.org/itchyscratchy1.jpg
http://nikspiggies.org/itchyscratchy2.jpg
http://nikspiggies.org/itchyscratchy3.jpg
http://nikspiggies.org/itchyscratchy4.jpg

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:48 pm

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:59 pm

Fenella is a saint for taking the females. Their little spirits look better.