Emergency: Vet wants to give penicillin!!

Pitzotl

Post   » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:02 pm

I gave Freya the probiotics plus poop soup for two days. I think it helped because her appetite increased a little bit (although she is still not eating completely by herself). It's been the 8th day on critical care (40-50g daily). Also, her bactrim dosage is 0.6ml and she is taking megadoses of Vit C (as instructed by the vet).

Freya doesn't have diarrhoea but her poop changed a bit to bigger softer lighter coloured pellets that are really smelly(for the record, last week her poop wasn't exactly normal pig poop because she was on CC and wasn't eating by herself). They are formed but have more water and unlike the usual pip poop and they smell a lot. She is eating some of them.

I don't know whether this change is cause by bactrim or the probiotics or the Vit C.... All these 3 can cause poop to be softer and smellier to my knowledge. I will ask the vet tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:36 pm

It may be she is not able to form her cecal pellets in the same way that is partly responsible for the added smell.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Ditto Lynx. If she is clearing some ileus (stalled digestive material, or pre-cecotrope) material from her GI, it could be that. If she's eating some of them, that would tend to confirm that guess.

Probiotics and vitamin C generally won't affect feces, except beneficially. Baytril and Bactrim can cause loose, smelly stool.

Pitzotl

Post   » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks a lot!!! I really appreciate it!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Keep us posted!

pig party

Post   » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:04 am

Sorry, I missed this post earlier, but just incase you need any advice about meds available in greece in the future, I am on Rhodes and may be able to help advise you what you can get and where or what meds are called here.

I had the same problem getting Bactrim as it is not available here as a syrup, but did treat sucessfully using tablets correctly dosed.

Unfortunately I don't have a full time internet connection but get on the forum as often as I can.

Pitzotl

Post   » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:03 am

Luckily, I was able to find bactrim in syrup form. Bactrimel was discontinued by Roche for commercial reasons but you can find it as Cotrim E by Ratiopharm (cotrimoxazole). Thanks for the help again. I will keep you posted.

Pitzotl

Post   » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:20 pm

Hello, everyone.

Freya passed away 2 weeks ago. The vet did an autopsy and it pointed towards bladder cancer (which the vet had suspected since the beginning because Freya wasn't responding to a combination of 3 antibiotics). Actually, she got a bit better but never completely well. The autopsy findings were calcification and thickening of the bladder (with minimum sand and no stones) and an overall bad condition of her bladder. Additionally, it looked like the cancer metastasized to her lungs.

It took me really long to write back and, frankly, I didn't want to do it but I thought that I should write about this matter. It turns out cancer is more common that some might think and that we should consider it as a differential diagnosis.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:35 pm

I am so sorry to here you lost Freyda. Thank you for adding the information on her necropsy. If more necropsies were done on our pets, we would learn more about the illnesses they suffer.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:39 pm

Godspeed and safe passage, Freya. You are very much loved and will always be remembered, by a lot of people all over the world.

Hugs and comfort to you, Pitzotl. Know that you did everything you possibly could for her. There is nothing more you could have done that would have made her right. You loved her and cared for her well, and that counts. That counts for a lot.

Thank you for the update. We all understand how hard it was for you to write, but it's very valuable information that may help another pig down the road.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:26 am

I am so sorry to hear you lost Freya. Sounds like you did everything you could for her, and loved her very much.

Pitzotl

Post   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:29 am

Thank you all for your support and advice. I really appreciate it.