possible urine scald

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Yes, he is. : ) He'd do anything for the pigs. And Lynx, i don't know if you were a part of the cavy health record book, but i wanted to thank you, anyway. It's an awesome tool and it's great to give to a vet that your going to. I can just hand it to my vet and he can see dates that things went wrong and everything.

Also, she is disturbingly fine. The blood cleared out of her urine after only 24 hours, and the incontinence in 48. I'm scared how...okay she is acting. Even now, she is laying in the hay rack(bad girl) lazily eating hay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:48 pm

I designed and wrote the book so yes, I had something to do with it. Several people gave me feedback before I settled on the final version. Glad you find it helpful! People could also use a notebook to keep track of these things but the record book is awfully handy. There are also free pages to download and print if you want. www.guinealynx.info/.html

I am very happy to hear her urine is better and the incontinence is gone. You might want to weigh her daily for a week and a maybe twice a week thereafter.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:31 pm

Oh, haha. I'm so sorry Lynx! Well, then, thank you so much! : ) and Thank you for those printables, i'm already pouring over them.

Okay, thank you for the advice. Getting the scale now! She's seemed a pretty stable weight, but that doesn't mean she is. :)

meganmarie

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:21 pm

Well, I've been home for a while, relaxed a little, and decided to post. My vet said Ginger looks to be in tip-top shape, but asked me if i'd still like to get a uranalysis done. I said yes, so it may be in Monday or Tuesday. He said that since the blood went away within two days, it does seem some kind of infection was present, but (of course) he can't tell now. Just to make sure the whole infection is gone, i asked for a little more antibiotic(bactrim), because before when she had a UTI, two weeks medication wasn't enough to kick it, and i don't need this thing coming back with a vengance. I also met a wonderful vet-tech that i've been working over the phone with, who has a 2 pigs also! She was wonderful, and she has a pig who's been damaged with some type of inner-ear infection as a baby. She's been hand feeding it every day with Critical care for 1 and a half years! Its a sweet baby(i met her!) But she is losing weight, even with proper amount of Critical care. As soon as i left, I was kicking myself for not mentioning Guinealynx! I think i'm going to call on Monday or Tuesday for her and mention it. So, i'd say things went really well today!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:01 am

Keep us posted. I think you're wise to ask for a bit more Bactrim to be sure.

Do call the vet tech and tell her about us. I give her tremendous credit for sticking with the little one for a year and a half. Maybe we can help her get over the hump here.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:20 pm

So, I just got a call from the vet. Ginger has high calcium crystals in her urine, about 6-10 per. She also has epithelial cells in her urine, which the doctor said makes him think there are stones. They are also still seeing blood in her urine(microscopic), but no infection. Well...now i'm worried.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:20 pm

Could still be an irritant vs. stones.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Oh, i didn't know that...Do you know what kind of irritant it could be? Or could it be a lot of things...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Irritant as in sludge vs. stones. Increased fluids could help. Read up on interstitial cystitis.

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=21

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Ditto Lynx. Depending on the shape and form of the sludge crystals, it could be the sludge alone that is irritating her bladder lining, to the point of blood and epithelial cells appearing.

Without reading back, did the vet do an x-ray on the 11th?

meganmarie

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:19 am

No, he didn't. We are going to go back in about a month to get x-rays. I'm kind of dissapointed he didn't, and i knew i should've asked for them. Hindsight is always 20-20...

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:47 am

Keep us posted. You already know this but you may need that x-ray sooner than a month from now. :-( In the meantime, let us know how she's doing, and best to you both.