possible urine scald

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Yeah, i was just saying, again,- as in reiterating- that she is on a low calcium diet. I was just listing it in case someone was like, 'but is she on a low calcium diet?'

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:14 pm

So, i've kind of dropped off of the face of the planet. I'm back on now because Ginger has started pawing at her mouth---pawing like she has something stuck in her mouth. and She's a glutton, like all guinea pigs, but she started last night biting off pieces of red pepper and just dropping them. She'll eat-but only if i rip off little pieces of their dinner(green leaf lettuce, red pepper, cherry tomatoes)but not anywhere near the amount she needs or used to eat. She will gingerly eat hay, small pellets, but not like she usually does. My exotics vet isn't in until this next monday, and i've already called and set up an appointment. 1. do you think it maloclussion, that's where i'm leaning, or maybe hay poke in the mouth 2. any tips to get us through the weekend(feeding her, ect.) Thank you guys!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Sounds like malocclusion to me. You need to hand-feed her, either Critical Care or pellet slurry. See https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Ginger over the last few months has really been struggling with calcium. I'm at my wits end. I only give them 1/4 cup of pellets a day(for 4 pigs) to give them a taste. I feed them green leaf lettuce, red pepper, and a whole cherry tomato a day. Is there anything i could start eliminating? We buy jugs of water, as we have a well, and send that water through a brita filter.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:15 pm

What kind of pellets? What kind of hay?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm pretty convinced that calcium metabolism is a genetic issue, and other than controlling diet, there's not a whole lot you can do. Exercise helps, because it keeps the calcium suspended in the urine where it can more easily be peed out.

meganmarie

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Kms hayloft pellets and KMS timothy hay. I tried to give them bluegrass, but there was zero interest. She's my baby...I hate watching her cry when she pee's out calcium. I hate it.