possible urine scald

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Cranberry pills for pigs? Useless, in my opinion. It may prevent infection in humans, but human urine is acidic, and guinea pig urine is basic. That means that what reacts in one will react differently, or not at all, in the other. And they're no good, even in people, if an infection is already present.

You only picked up the Bactrim yesterday, right? Give it time to work. If it's not an infection, it won't work, and then you can try something else, or see the vet later.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Okay, thank you, Bpatters. I didn't know that it didn't work in humans if something was already present, either. Interesting.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:17 pm

"Also...I panicked, and i just took all of their pellets out of their cage. Will that be bad for them? I'm scared to take away something right now that is food because she needs all the padding she can get right now."

I think they may be better off to continue with these pellets until you can replace them. Just make sure that she is getting enough fluid to flush out the excess calcium and salt. Maybe syringe some water to her. Also make sure that your water is not also high in calcium. You are right in that she will need her extra padding, especially if there is an illness.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Okay, thank you, PinkRufus...

I'm going to look at our water and i'll look at the minerals in it. I have city water...so hopefully it wont be so high.

EDIT:...i have no idea what i'm doing. How do you find out if your water is high in calcium?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:59 pm

"How do you find out if your water is high in calcium?"

Your best bet would be to use a Brita filter first, then it won't be too high.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:23 pm

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:44 pm

Try this:

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:49 pm

This one is better?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:13 pm

Call your local water authority and ask what the calcium levels are. Some cities put that information online. You may or may not need a filter.

And I'm not real convinced that a Brita filter will do anything for calcium.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:35 am

Re: your water -- as a very rough rule of thumb, what kind of rocks do you have in your area?

Hard, marbly rocks => granite. Not much calcium.

Soft, white, sometimes even crumbly rocks => limestone. VERY high in calcium.

I know nothing about the geology of your area, but if you go online and find something out about it, in general (and this is NOT a hard and fast rule by any means, but in general), areas of the country that are high in limestone (Chicago area, Austin, Texas area) will have municipal water high in calcium (actually, calcium carbonate). Areas underlain by granite (like Atlanta) have much less calcium carbonate in the water.

Ditto the advice you have received. Don't pull the pellets until you can replace them.

meganmarie

Post   » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:45 pm

I have yet to call them because they are usually in only on weekdays(that's what the voicemail says, at least). It is only the 2nd full day she has had medicine(friday and saturday, 1 dose so far, today), and i'm pulling out my hair. I hate seeing the pee on her. I keep wiping it off of her with a washcloth, but just the thought of it on her making her uncomfortable is stressing me out. I'm also scared the medicine wont work, and also the what if's, what if's, what if's. *sigh* My head's gonna pop off.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:48 pm

It will most likely take more than two days to see the med work. Breathe. You're doing a great job. Really. (Better yet, have a beer. :-)

If the stuff you are wiping off is making HER uncomfortable, that's one thing. If the stuff you are wiping off doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest -- if she is behaving, eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally -- even if it makes YOU feel bad for her -- then don't worry about it (have a beer! ;-) and call the vet this week.