possible urine scald

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:27 pm

She's straining while peeing and pooping, and she is bleeding. A lot. I think she may have tried to/ is passing a stone, and i'm trying to get into my vet, and, if not, an emergency vet. this is the brightest and most blood i've ever seen. i'm so freaked out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Hoping for the best for her!

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:49 pm

Thank you, Lynx. She passed a stone at the emergency vets. it was scary, and ginger is exhausted. She is okay right now, but again, she is really tired. She came home with metacam and baytril. I'm giving her medicine and passing out, because that was very stressful and tiring for me, too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:57 pm

Glad to hear she passed it!

What is the Baytril for? Is there evidence of infection, or is it precautionary?

Keep a small bottle of orange juice (ours prefer pulp-free) in the fridge. If you don't normally drink it, just note the expiration date and replace it as needed.

PinkRufus first posted on here to give orange juice to a guinea pig who's experienced/is experiencing significant bleeding. (It's the same concept as when the Red Cross gives you orange juice and Nutter Butter cookies after donating blood.) We've needed it several times at our house and it has made a *big* difference in helping pigs who've experienced significant bleeding recover. Most pigs like it and will take several cc's readily from a syringe.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:53 pm

Oh, i'm so sorry. I was writing this late and on very little sleep. She is on baytril, and has been for about 2 weeks now. A few weeks ago she started with symptoms of a UTI, and so i was told to start her on baytril. I have been giving her good water, KMS pellets and hay, and mostly low calcium food(their lettuce((spring mix)) i get has spinach in it), which i am going to have to find some other lettuce to give. She was really lucky to pass this stone.

I always have orange juice in my home, because i drink it for breakfast every day or make breakfast smoothies with it. But i am worried about the calcium that is present in the orange juice i have on hand right now, so i'm going to have to look into a better type.

Also, any suggestions for a stone pig? I recently read something, somewhere, about a no pellet diet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 pm

Review the stones page for more info.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Bactrim works better for UTIs. If you find her appetite is deteriorating or her poops are getting mushy, it may be due to the Baytril.

www.guinealynx.info/_advice.html

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Thank you, Lynx. I will.

Bactrim wasn't working with her, so i took her to get a urine culture. My vet said with the type of bacteria that was in her urine, that she should be on baytril. She always does pretty well on it, as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:37 pm

I am glad to hear that! Do you recall what bacteria it was that wasn't responding to the Bactrim and that the vet felt Baytril worked better on?

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Not at all. In fact, i don't even recall him telling me the name of the bacteria. I was just worried about how long we were there and she hadn't eaten anything.

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:05 pm

So, these are the things that I am doing for Ginger. I am
1. Brita filtering her water. Our water has a ton of calcium in it(I think the guy called it hard water?)
2. I am changing lettuce from spring mix to red/green leaf lettuce.
I feed KMS hayloft pellets and hay, the pigs only get low calcium veggies(cucumber, lettuce, cherry tomato, carrot, peppers, occasional apple slice). I'm not sure if I should do something more, but that's where I am right now. If anybody has any other ideas, the ideas would be very much welcomed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:44 pm

Plan to go outside and pick some nice fresh grass when spring shows up. Introduce slowly. Most guinea pigs really enjoy fresh, clean grass.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

meganmarie

Post   » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:56 pm

okay, awesome. : ) Thanks Lynx!

huh. We actually pick dandelion leaves to eat in my family. We have a spot we always pick at. That's awesome! Also, would the forages count as veggies for the day or as towards hay consumtion?