RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:21 pm

You're doing a great job!

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:24 pm

Thank you, Lynx! : ) Means a lot.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:27 am

Jeeze. So I am up late and i was watching tv with Ginger on my chest. I had her on a maroon towel, and she pee'd. It had a fair amount of calcium in it. For the past few days, they've only been eating green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, and sweet peppers(My grocery store that i get produce from has had sub-par cucumbers recently, so i'm staying away from them.). I don't even know how she'd even still be producing excess calcium. We also only give them brita water. *sigh* I hate calcium.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:25 am

What kind of pellets? You might want to increase water intake too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:35 am

It's not just diet. It's also the pig. And, as Lynx says, the pellets and the water.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Lynx & bpatters:I have Kms pellets. For 4 pigs a day, i only give 1/2 cup. I also have 3 different water bottles on the two different levels.

I'll be giving her some water, then. She just hates drinking from a syringe. It's always a battle.

I know it can be the pig, but...i'm hoping that's not the case.

How bad is it to see calcium deposits in their pee?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Supposedly if they are powdery and not gritty, it's not as much of a problem. I think part of it depends on whether or not the guinea pig is prone to stones.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Well, it was gritty... : ( so, not a happy piggy mom.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Try offering her some unflavored Pedialyte (infants' electrolyte solution). Many pigs love this stuff and will readily slurp 10, 20, 30 cc's out of a syringe at one time.

Is she a fairly active pig? If not, if you can possibly get her to move around a little more, it will help. Easier said than done, I know, but it'll help her pee sludge out before it can coalesce into a stone.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Piggy floor time. We are doing floor time Saturday, Sunday, Wednesdays, and sometimes Friday.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Also, excuse my SO in the picture. He wasn't aware I was taking pictures(I didn't exactly tell him).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:11 pm

That should help. The more moving around, the better.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:18 pm

She is looking better and better. She finishes up her meds on the 6th(last full day of meds). I am so happy, I have not(knock on wood) seen any calcium deposits in her pee, and she has been happier, popcorning more, and she's actually lost a little bit of weight(she was a little overweight; she's still plump, but she's sleeker, and just looks healthier).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Excellent. Carry on.

meganmarie

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Question I thought of last night: Should I carry on with the probiotic for about 2 more days, just to make sure she's regular? Or is that going over the top?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:15 pm

Keep it going imo. Probiotics do no harm and may help complete the stabilization of her GI (if that makes any sense).

daveandtiff

Post   » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:14 am

She is very cute, Megan! Looks very similar to our little girl, with the darker left nostril and all!! I hope you will continue to see her have clearer urine. I haven't had a chance to read far enough back, but have you tried holding water bottle to her while she is on your lap, or finding a different water bottle to try? If she has a fave fruit or veggie (low in calcium), you could minutely flavour the water as well (very watered down version of juice), or suck up plain water first into your syringe and a bit of watered down juice into the latter part/nozzle end of syringe if she seems to be showing more interest with accepting a diluted juice. Some thoughts to get a bit more fluid into her. The floor time is great, the more exercise the better.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:51 am

We try multiple water bottles; different sizes, different heights in the cage, and different heights of water in the bottle.

A surprising number of our pigs drink best when the water level in the bottle is low. The pressure is lower (water pressure varies by height only -- how big the bottle is doesn't matter). If you find this works for you too, just be sure to check the bottles more frequently to make sure they don't run out.

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:35 pm

She's been fine until recently. She's been continuously having gritty calcium discharge around her vagina. Ugh, so frustrating. I'm worried it's almost verging on becoming a UTI again. I'm giving her a butt bath either tonight or tomarrow, but her pee is a little smelly and she is having *slight* leakage with the gritty calcium. I just syringed her about 15 ml of water, which she took like a champ, with bites of cuties(mandarin orange) in between. She's on low calcium everything again: KMS pellets, 1/4 cup a day for 4 pigs, unlimited hay(timothy), clean water bottles, only a leaf of lettuce, 1 cherry tomato, cucumber, and 1/4 of a whole red pepper. I think now i'm more just bitching for my own mental health. It's crap having a pig that has calcium issues. She's such a good girl and doesn't diserve this. blech. Crap, crap, crap.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:38 pm

You said, "low calcium everything again." Usually when a pig has calcium problems, the low-calcium diet is lifelong. I wouldn't ever increase it.

223 posts