Pepper's Medical Thread

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Just want to vent. The last 6 mos. have been stressful for the pigs & us. Pepper's surgery in Jan. Then introducing Clemmy a few months later (so glad we did though). Then Pepper's bumblefoot that is much better (knock on wood) after 2-3 mos. Figuring out how to use fleece.

Then in the last month, Nutmeg died, then Clemmy had the beginning of GI stasis last week - doing ok now, and the night before last we're seeing blood on the fleece, even some clots. We figure out it's Pepper & rush to the emergency vet which is luckily about 5 min away. Bladder infection, which I suspected, & confirmed by our own vet the next day. Huge storm was in progress when we left the emergency vet. I was having trouble seeing the road & staying in my lane. Then close to home nearly ran into a downed tree limb. Whew.

I'm starting to get confused about who's been spayed & who's sick with what, etc. And my daughter's the one who's managing most of the care. Good thing she's the one administering meds - not sure I'd trust myself to get the right med into the right pig.

But with Clemmy on the mend and Pepper hanging in there, I can only be thankful we have both of them.

OK, I'm done. For now.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm sorry for the stress! I hope you have a decent time of happiness and healthiness for all. You have a good daughter.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:35 am

Guinea pig illnesses/surgeries/problems/intensive care always seem to come in waves. May you have some peace, quiet, happy and healthy pigs, and smooth sailing here for a while now.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks guys. Don't know how I'd manage without your support & my daughter careful pig care.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:48 pm

It sounds like you could use a good night (or 2+) of sleep.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:23 am

Much ditto. ;-)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Pepper might be having problems keeping warm. I turned up the heat, but I am wondering about a heating bag. I searched for it but couldn't find anything. Any info on how to implement that?

She hasn't been drinking much, but we've found she loves warm water syringed. And we need to keep her hydrated because of stones & uti's.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Is the room temperature okay? I worry about pads with electric heat combined with the reactions from illness (not moving as much, sleeping more, getting overheated).

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Legitimate concerns, Lynx. I was thinking more about hot (warm) water bottles. The room temp feels fine to me, but maybe not to an old lady like Pepper. Aside from increasing the whole house temp, I've put cardboard barriers up on one side of the cage to prevent cold drafts from coming through their cage. We have a folded over fleece mat that Pepper favors & defend from interlopers. :) I'd think it's pretty cozy in there, but we're wondering if she's not coming out as much into the cage proper.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:21 pm

Warmed rice bags (this is a "thing") might also work. They would start out warm and cool slowly.

I often feel like tucking animals in with blankets. You could place her near a corner and drape some fleece from the corner to cover her body but perhaps not her head.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:34 pm

You can put a small hidey in the cage, not much bigger than she is, and cover it except for the hole. Her body heat will keep it warm.

But don't forget that unless they're skinnies, they're not likely to be cold.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks for the input. The folded over fleece mat ought to be pretty warm once she's been in it for a bit. We'll see what the weather does - maybe the bitter cold is over.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Here's what the bitter cold did in my covered pond!

This is water coming off the filter spillway:

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 am

Wow. Cool pics. How cold did it get there? Hope it's over now.,

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 pm

It got to about 6 degrees F, one night. A couple other nights in the single digits, never getting above freezing. This happened despite my green-housy type cover on the 8'X8' pond.

55 posts