Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 am

We stopped handfeeding Jan for today because of her rapid breathing but even though she is eating 90% of her food she lost 40grams today so now it's back to handfeeding at 11.00pm tonight. She ate two pieces of banana and she put on 18grams. Which surprised us! Thanks again for your replies in advance, keep your paws crossed!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Paws crossed here!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:04 am

Well it never rains but it pours. We are now having problems with Jan's sister Joy. She ate breakfast yesterday, all was well. Then come lunch time she refused to eat, same with tea time and breakfast this morning. She does how ever eat the Timothy hay. At present can get no grass from anywhere seems the council poisoned it all in preparation for Summer.
My husband has been syringe feeding her every 4 hours and can only get 3 or less syringes into her. Took her to the vets this morning and what a waste of time that was! Carol looked into her mouth-teeth was fine. I told her a piggy needs to be sedated for one to look at teeth but she insisted she could see all her teeth.
She listened to her heart which was 217, Checked her ovarian cyst which Joy has had for over 2 years they seem according to Carol to come and go. The left one was the only one she could feel and this was 3CMS. Jessie had cyst which were 2CMS and she was put onto hormone treatment. When I mentioned this to Carol she just said she can see no reason why Joy should be on it as the cyst were too small to cause her any problems.
We were told to take her home and watch her and bring back in a week for a weighing. Back in January she was 1156grams now only 907grams.
I thought maybe the move upset her and when we moved in there was a faint smell of paint. This was 2 months ago.
So for now we syringe feed and watch closely. Why are all vets here clueless? I am not on the Internet as PC is in a packing box out in the rain and I have no idea which box. But I do pop into the library 3-5 days a week. Thanks for reading any advise much appreciated.
Good news (touching wood) Jan is hanging in there, her weight going up and down. She still has the rapid breathing but Carol was happy with her and said the rapid breathing was nothing to worry about and yet sometimes Jan can hardly stand or support her head!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:53 am

You are very knowledgeable. At least she is with someone who notices when something is wrong and does something about it. Not eating isn't always teeth (though not eating does aggravate issues and can create dental problems) so there may still be something wrong your vet is not considering. It might be worth your while to glance over the emergency page and note if there are any other signs of illness that might help you figure out what is wrong.
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:56 am

I'm with Lynx. At least you are aware of the problems and can possibly steer the vets to them and the solutions. Print off whatever you find for the vets to read and learn from. Try to get them to check this website since there is so much good stuff on it.

Good luck with Jan. Give her a kiss from myself and my crowd - Fuzzbutt, Dusty, and Belle.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:52 am

Thank-you Lynx and Grannyju1 for your replies, NOT sure if it is the meloxicam or whether she is feeling better but Joy has started eating BUT she is still losing weight! She was 907 Monday on our scales and today she is down to 847grams, a lost of 60grams in 2 days. NOT sure what she was when she went to the vet. We are also hand feeding her getting 2-5 syringes into her every 4 hours and zonking her out as like Jan and Jessie she loves it so much-massaging her either with fingers or toothbrush-if Jan will let her have it!

Joy is also getting Protexin due to giving her the pain med. I did find 3-6 syringes full of Meloxicam BUT the date was September last year nearly 12 months ago! Is this alright to give her? It has been in the fridge the whole time. The only time fridge was switched off was when we moved and this was only for 30-60 minutes. Please advise. NOT on PC as can't find it. It is out in the rain somewhere in a packing box and I am guessing with the boxes now like soggy paper the PC will be fried and anyways I would be too scared to plug it in incase it caused a fire. I can use the syringes or throw them out? DON"T want to make either sick! But am worried and unsure as the date is nearly 12 months old!

Maybe the vet can talk with Dr Vella concerning Joy? NO offense tot he vets ability BUT thanks to him suggesting the Zantac syrup Jan is still with us today. It would NOT hurt to get a second opinion? Since Kirsty left I feel Carol is not listening to me or reading anything from this site! And because of this we lost Jemma, Jasmine and Jupiter! Which makes me sad and angry too!

I will end this post now as time is running out for the library and when that happens it just shuts off and I lose everything. Hoping someone has ideas and thanks!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:55 am

I'm sorry, I have no idea if those out-of-date meds are still good. Maybe bpatters or one of the other medical workers would know.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:44 am

I added a space between your paragraphs because I was having trouble reading your post. If you'd add spaces, I would be very appreciative!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:52 am

I doubt that the out-of-date medicine would hurt the pig, but it might not be very effective.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:07 am

Sorry Lynx, but am at the library and I was in a hurry to post my post before library time ran out and I lost everything. Really sorry will try not to let it happen again!

Joy is eating 90% of her food, getting syringe fed, eating Timothy Hay and Oxbow pellets but still losing weight. Have No idea why? Neither does the silly vet! Makes me so mad and frustrated! Poor piggies have to suffer because of stupid vets! Lost many piggies because of this! No Knowledgeable vets here!

Won't be on PC next week as car will be in for repairs for the week so will be back on the 27th. Thanks for the replies! can always count you both!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 am

I am sorry you are not yet set up with a computer at home. Makes a world of difference.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am

It does!

How old is Jan?