Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:08 am

I will get some. Won't hurt Jay? They feed together. Can any vitamin C supplement do? Just a pinch once a day?

With Jessie she would get a pinch once a day, we'd add a little water and syringe it to her. We got it from a health food shop, think it was around $20.00, lasted 12 months I think.

Thanks for the reply bpatters and self1268. I have put her on Meloxicam incase it is her teeth again. She keeps biting her front toes like her sister Jan did. It's amazing she doesn't chew them off! Carol gave no explanation. Now that Kirsty has left surgery I don't even get listened too just shot down.
Keep you posted. Get some tomorrow before Easter. Any recommendations? I think you mentioned kids vitamin C like this one? https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/sear ... y=PriceAsc They all seem to have Zinc in it. I think Jessie's was just abscorbic acid vitamin C. The third picture was the one we got Jessie the orange and pink one. https://www.google.com/search?q=absorbi ... =firefox-b Thanks again.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:40 am

OK bought the one we used for Jessie very generously it is 125g and has 1g of ascorbic acid at every gram. It says Melrose the whole body health co. 1005 pure ascorbic Acid easy to use powder. Prevention/treatment of Vitamin C deficiency. Relief of mild URI's. GMO free.

Adults 1 to 3 grams (1000 to 3000mgs) daily in water or juice. Stir till dissolved. Children over 2 years half adult dose.

So is this the correct one and would one pinch be enough once a day? Joy is on 0.3mls Meloxicam twice a day, 0.2mls Zantac Syrup twice a day, quarter sachet Protexin once a day, 10th of a tablet of Metomide once a day.

Thanking for for any advise in advance. Keep you posted. With Easter coming up not looking good as emergency vets are useless. All you get is PTS why bother, just get another. Just breaks my heart. Heard this so many times when Jan was ill 5 months ago. Many refused to see her!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm

You want to aim at 30-50 mg of vitamin C per day.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Jay is full of hormones at 10 weeks old and at food times she terrorises Joy and won't let her eat. So am going to start feeding them with a barrier up and see if that helps Joy. At 6 years old she doesn't need this!

Now 100mg equals a gram? I think I will just start off with a pinch a day and see how we go. Thanks for the reply bpatters.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it. Stay safe and happy. Piggies and slaves.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 pm

1000 mg = 1 gram.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 2:30 am

Okay, Joy got teeth filed today. Top were good, bottom needed a few mls filed off. The question I have is like with a few of our other piggies who have now passed Joy has dry feet.

They are also a pinky red in colour the rear ones. Unlike the others she has little round sores on her rear feet. Front feet are good, now hay seed was removed. The bedding is hard floor then a insulated mat, then insulated pet mattresses, then a plastic tarp, then fleeced blankets, towels, fleece blanket, then vet/dry bed and lastly hay.

So safe to say bed is soft, was told paws go red/pink when piggy doesn't move much. But what causes the sores and dry skin? Any advice much appreciated. Thanking in advance! Tried ointment from Pampered Piggies on Zoe and Jessie and it did nothing! Hope to get someone I can get here in Australia. Thanks.

Now as you know Joy lost her sister Jan November 2018, Joy was sad, depressed but otherwise normal. In February 2019 got Joy Jay, first 3-4 weeks Jay was lunch being snapped at all the time. But now Joy has gone back to being sad and depressed. Eating, peeing, pooping but sad.

When Jessie was alone she was happy but when we got Jemma and Jasmine for her it was like her little eyes lit up, she was happy excited and maternal instincts kicked in. I know every pig is different but why isn't Joy happy? Not in pain as been on pain meds-Meloxicam, it made no difference.

Again thanks in advance. NEVER seen Joy biy rear paws but front ones she tears into them, just like her sister Jan use too. Off to make tea. Thanks guys.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 6:13 am

Did the vet check molars? Very often, incisors won't wear or align normally when there are other dental issues going on.

When you say that she's "sad," what do you mean exactly? Lethargic? Not eating? Have you ruled out other possible health issues?

Redness and sores on the feet can be the start of pododermatitis, also called bumblefoot. See: https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html. How severe are the sores? I'm not sure what you mean by "tears into them" on her rear feet. Do you mean that she's chewing on them?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 6:37 am

Did the vet check molars? Very often, incisors won't wear or align normally when there are other dental issues going on.
Yes it was the molars that were done. She was knocked out, top were good bottom needed a little off.
When you say that she's "sad," what do you mean exactly? Lethargic? Not eating? Have you ruled out other possible health issues?
All our girls just lay around, not much energy. What I mean sadness is she sits in a corner or under the hay.
How severe are the sores? I'm not sure what you mean by "tears into them" on her rear feet. Do you mean that she's chewing on them?
She just chews on her front feet and licks the toes. But ONLY the front feet like sister Jan did.
How severe are the sores?
It's like when you cut yourself and get a scab on the cut. The redness is not bad and the sores don't seem to be bothering her. They are like the pictures of the spurs but go in a circle and have a circle inside it. Sorry can't take a picture either, camera not that good. Thanks for the advise sef1268. I will try and find pictures tomorrow similar to her feet.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 6:49 am

Here are the images. I wasn't able to re-size the last one:

She states this one is not of her guinea pig, but is a clearer photo that resembles what she's seeing on the back feet:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 7:32 am

That last one looks particularly painful. I trust you have read all the info on pododermatitis?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 am

She states this one is not of her guinea pig, but is a clearer photo that resembles what she's seeing on the back feet:

No it is not Joy's foot the last picture. Thank-you sef1268 for posting pictures for me. I have sent another picture which resemble rear feet at their current stage. They NEVER get as bad as last picture(NOT as red or anywhere near it). I choose it cause it showed the shape and position of sores.

Carol the vet and I feel Joy's problem with rear feet is urine scald. She has suggested putting Vaseline on the feet. What do you think? The paws get a small light red circle on them, this forms a scab, then after a while scab comes off then it repeats the cycle.

Joy shares a pen 4ftX4ft with Jay, this gets cleaned every 2nd day, top layer of bedding is vet/dry bed which draws moisture away.

I trust you have read all the info on pododermatitis?
Yes we did, we feel Joy had this in front foot-well she had a hay splinter and this caused a blister type thing on front paw(2nd to last picture). Formed a scab(where red)and then scab fell off and now foot is deformed and dry/crusty. Carol said to keep an eye on it. She was on Baytril for 7 days for front foot and bathed in salty water. This was in January, it was healed(front) by March.

Thanks again sef1268 and for yours and lynx's replies. Keep you posted. It is only the dry crusty paws and scabs on rear paws we are now concerned w\about. Will Vaseline be ok to use?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 5:31 pm

I have used Burt’s Bees Original Beeswax Lip Balm on my piggy’s feet when they were dry or had a spur. There are no petroleum products or sunscreens in it, just natural oils. It works well because the shape of the balm fits in her little feet. Then I just massage it in.