Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 29, 2019 3:36 pm

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL USING EPSOM SALTS ON THE BACK FEET.

If she pulls her foot out of solution and scratches an itch on her head or face, and the solution gets into her eyes, it will SEVERELY damage her eye.

I prefer to use chlorhexidine gluconate (human Hibiclens, there is a veterinary version at half the concentration of the human solution), and follow up with silver sulfadiazene cream.

Epsom salts work and work well, but make ABSOLUTELY SURE she cannot scratch her face or head while using the solution, even a very dilute one.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 29, 2019 7:07 pm

The concentration Talishan mentions is 2% chlorhexidine gluconate vs. 4% in human-grade Hibiclens. I'm also a fan of silver sulfadiazene, and more recently have found Lantiseptic to be remarkably effective at clearing up skin irritation on the feet.

Looking at the image you sent, there is a fairly large pocket of gas. Has this guinea pig had any history of bloat?

Did they take any other views? Hard to tell much about the heart, and it's not the best quality image.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 pm

Thanks for helping out sef1268 and bpatters. I encourage you to post yourself, daisymay. If you write a post in an email to yourself, you can copy it to the posting box here to post (then you won't time out). All caps are so hard to read so just write normally. I am sure it took sef forever to edit the email I forwarded to her. (thanks sef!)

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 30, 2019 3:40 am

Thanks for helping out sef1268 and bpatters. I encourage you to post yourself, daisymay. If you write a post in an email to yourself, you can copy it to the posting box here to post (then you won't time out). All caps are so hard to read so just write normally. I am sure it took sef forever to edit the email I forwarded to her. (thanks sef!)

My lap top has bitten the dust and will only do capitals now and half the time I lose what I type. I guess I can go to the library and use their PC's. again thank-you sef for your help!!!!! I am currently at the library.

Paid $700.00 for X-rays but this is the only one the vet will give me. She says this is the main X-ray and the best of the two.

Jan who was Joy's sister had X-ray around November 2017 and her tummy was 10% tummy and 90% wind. Carol told me Jan would not see Christmas 2017. Jan lived for another 12 months. Jan was put on Zantac Syrup 0.2mls twice a day on advise from Dr Vella, a tenth of a Metomide tablet once a day, Protexin once a day, and Meloxicam when needed with loads of tummy massages with toothbrush.

In September 2018 Joy was just put on same medication, no x-rays nothing. Just cause she was Jan's sister was the only reason. NO history of bloat. BUT back in 2017 we noticed after eating by herself or syringe fed her tummy would become rock hard.
If she pulls her foot out of solution and scratches an itch on her head or face, and the solution gets into her eyes, it will SEVERELY damage her eye.
We syringe fed Joy on a cushion on a table. We soak her foot in the bottle cap whilst she is getting fed and are very careful her feet stay in the cap. Back feed have no idea what to soak them in so will just use cotton tip as back feet aren't too bad.

Since Tuesday, Joy has lost 29grams on Tuesday and 60 grams yesterday. So now she is back to her normal weight of 780-800grams. So far she is still eating after 4 doses of the Baytril, so we have our paws crossed this will continue.

Thanks for replies bpatters, Tailshan, and lynx(plus apologises) and Sef(big thanks for posting my post and picture too!!!!!!). Will keep you posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 30, 2019 7:47 am

Daisymay, it may be that something is lodged under your caps link key. I remember once finding part of a staple under a key that was preventing it from working properly. Perhaps you can stop by a big chain store with electronics that services computers and see if they could at least use some compressed air to blow out your keyboard (they get dirty). One of the first things recommended is to shut everything off and turn the computer over to see if anything can be dislodged from the keyboard. I haven't lifted off a key for cleaning, but someone who knows what they are doing could do this for you. I once had to replace the keyboard part of a laptop because something was stuck badly (I get used ThinkPads which are user friendly as far as repairing parts - lots of videos online).

More about soaking feet on the antiseptic solutions page and the pododermatitis page (it has the warnings about using Epsom salts).
https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:14 pm

It was suggested to me to get CHLORHEXIDINE-GLUCONATE-SOLUTION-0-1 by Tailshan. I have asked her many times if this is good for the swelling of the front feet but do not get an answer.

One of Joy's front paws is swollen and hard and I am looking for something to take the swelling down. This is why I was soaking her paws in Epsom salt as ot states this helped reduce swelling.

Joy had been on Baytril now for near on 2 weeks with no change in breathing. The sores on her paws have nearly gone. It is the swollen paw and her breathing to deal with. Thanking you in advance. I bought some of the CHLORHEXIDINE-GLUCONATE-SOLUTION-0-1 but can't see how this will help in swelling?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Might help if we can see the foot. Have you posted a recent picture of it?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:46 pm

When I googled it, every hit I got said it reduces swelling. But aside from that, I would take Talishan's advice any time, on any subject relating to guinea pigs.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:42 pm

I would take Talishan's advice any time, on any subject relating to guinea pigs.
Agree!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:47 am

Just an update, seems Joy had loose skin on swollen foot and this has got caught in the vet/dry bed and ripped skin off in two parts causing foot to bleed.

Have bathed foot in water and salt as this is all I have at the moment. When other foot was swollen it seemed to just be swollen with blood. Once foot bled it went back to normal though deformed in the toes.

I have ordered the solution Tailshan suggested. She said to soak Joy's feet in a saucer or plate, could be diluted a bit but as it is 0.1mls not much. Once a day and make sure foot is covered. Make sure 100% dry before going back into her pen. when it comes in the mail I will do so.

As to breathing after nearly 2 weeks on Baytril no change. Just thankful it hasn't gotten worse! Especially as we are in Winter. As usual vet not willing to try anything else.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Well I am officially looking for another vet! After I complained about Jan and how the head tilt, high temp, fast heart rate were not picked up(hard to miss the head tilt). Then I complained heart and paws were not in the X-ray I was told they would no longer treat any of my animals and to look else where!

Truth be known if I had the money I would take them to court over the deaths of Jan, Jemma, Jupiter and Jasmine. But then here guinea pigs don't matter here.

Seeing another vet today, have paws crossed better than the last. Joy is the same, BUT has lost 40 grams even though she is eating. So have put her on Meloxicam in case her paw is sore. Keep you posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:01 pm

I hope you are more satisfied with this vet.