Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:10 am

Is still still on Flusapex? I don't see the point of putting her on yet another antibiotic. She has just gotten off several rounds of Baytril, correct? Without any clear evidence of infection, I don't think a different antibiotic is going to help anything and could make her gut problem even worse. Just my opinion. At this point, I have to wonder if you'd be better off just taking her off everything other than a good probiotic and letting her body try to naturally heal. She has been on multiple meds for a prolonged period of time, any number of which (or in combination with one another) could cause stomach upset.

I don't mean to sound critical; I know you're just trying to help your pet. But at some point you have to ask yourself if all of the meds and vet trips are causing more stress to her (and you) than it's really worth--especially when none of the vets can determine what the problem is or how to fix it.

As a side note...you have talked about suspected heart issues with other guinea pigs, I think. Could there be something environmental causing it? Mold in the house, for example (which I know can cause respiratory and even heart problems, in severe cases), or some other irritant to the lungs? It's just a thought.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:15 pm

We suspected Jemma, Jupiter and Jasmine may have had heart issues, but this was in our old house. We moved 12 months ago.

She will be staying on Zantac as when off it she stops eating. She will be staying on Flusapex as she still has fluid in lungs.

Jaffa was the first pig we tried on Doxycycline and it worked a treat. Joy will be only on it for 5 days so we don't see any harm in trying it.

When Joy went to vet there was not irregular beating just rapid beating. The vet in question is less than 5 minutes away.

I'm sorry but if Joy hasn't given up on life then we won't give up on her! With bad vets we have had 10% pass 2 years old or younger, 30% passed between 3-5 years and 50% pass 5 years and older. So we will continue as we are.

Thank-you sef for your reply and opinion. Much appreciated! Protexin is also the best Probotic that can be giving to grazing animals, dogs, cats and birds and 80% of vets stock it!

especially when none of the vets can determine what the problem is or how to fix it.
How are vets to learn? Hardly any vets knew about guinea pig dental till Jessie. Vets and I wish to learn and it has to start some where! I will be discussing with my vet the possibility of talking to a overseas vet or local exotic one.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:00 pm

Is Convenia deadly to guinea pigs? Vet just gave Joy an injection. He said he has used it many times with no worries. But a Google search has me so scared and worried now. Have I signed Joy's death warrant? Am I a bad piggy Mum?

Also given Lectade sachets are these safe? Please keep Joy in your prayers. Promised Jan we would look after her sister Joy and we have failed her. Thanks in advance.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:06 pm

Here's what I can find on it. It's from the European Drugs Encyclopedia (https://theodora.com/drugs/eu/convenia_veterinary.html)
Convenia should also not be used in dogs or cats of less than 8 weeks old, or in dogs or cats with severe kidney problems (renal dysfunction). It would be dangerous to use Convenia in other animals such as guinea pigs and rabbits (it is not licensed for use in these species).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:39 am

Never heard of it. I thought the vet was putting her on Doxy. What infection is supposedly being treated?

Looks like "Lectade sachets" is some sort of hydration product.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Never heard of it. I thought the vet was putting her on Doxy. What infection is supposedly being treated?

She was on the Doxy for 3 days and it turned her poops to much sometimes very runny. Took her it and upped the Protexin from once a day to twice a day and cut out the Flusapex. Alsao Doxy got rid of the fluid in lungs and heart rate back to normal.

After 5 days poops still mushy, so booked her into see vet. the night before this I kept collecting the mushy poops. Vet looked under microscope and said bacteria there so hence the AB.
Looks like "Lectade sachets" is some sort of hydration product.
Yes that is what it is. One packet in two halves-one salt the other sugar. Suppose to in 250mls cup put in 1/3 teaspoon of salt and 1teaspoon of sugar and mix in warm water. We have decided to hold of on this until more stable.
Thanks for replies sef1268 and bpatters.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:45 pm

Okay, time for an update on Joy. For no reason her normal poops turned mushy so was on Flagyl for a week. It is 95% true that she maybe blind-hence the reluctance to move. Hence the reason her hind legs are not working properly and she is very unsteady in herself.

I have tried to massage her legs and muscles. Her legs(hind) when sitting are splayed out not tucked under her. This we noticed yesterday, we have vet appointment today. Not sure what they can do if she is not willing to move. Not sure whether swimming would be good for her when weather warms up?

Would it be a lack of vitamin C? She is eating her food and also being hand fed. She has lost weight due to the mushy poops. Any help much appreciated. Not sure she may have got her feet caught in hay or in bedding-vet/drybed. Will keep you posted. Both legs are the same.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:57 pm

What medications is she on currently?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:01 pm

What medications is she on currently?

She had last dose of Flagyl this morning at 4.00am she was on this twice a day at 0.4mls for 5 days but poops still mushy so went to 7 days.
Zantac Syrup twice a day at 0.2mls twice a day. Due to tummy and wind.
Protexin quarter of sachet twice a day.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:29 pm

We had a paralyzed pig and the cause was never really known. Paralysis can be from a stroke, tumor, arthritis or other issues with joints or the spine. Older guinea pigs sometimes do have a decreased ability to metabolize vitamins and nutrients, so I suppose Joy could have a vitamin C deficiency.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:21 am

If she’s eating well, will she move more if you make a trail of food for her to follow? I scatter food for mine so she has to forage, but if yours is having vision issues, maybe a trail of pellets and favorite veggies.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for the reply sef1268 and ItsaZoo. Joy is a little of her food, whether she is pain or eye sight problem not sure. Her poops have returned to mush so she is back onto Flagyl-0.4mls twice a day. Back to poop soup too.

My question is can she be on Flagyl which has anti inflammatories in it and Meloxicam which also has anti inflammatories in it. Don't wish to make her bowels worse than they are. If she was on it she would get 0.3mls twice a day. Any advice much appreciated. Thanking you in advance.