Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:36 am

Ditto. Supplementing with Critical Care and/or pellet stew is the only reliable way I've found to help increase weight, or maintain it in an older piggie.
I didn't think 3 was old? Have been hand feeding for last week and Jan hates it. Can't wait for Winter and loads of grass again.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:47 am

No, 3 isn't old. I phrased that poorly -- would have been better to have said that CC and pellet stew are the only ways I've found to help any pig gain or maintain weight consistently or reliably (and even then it's a struggle).

Once in a great while (like every few years :/), I'll get a batch of really, really, REALLY great hay that they love and devour in mass quantities. That works better than anything. Unfortunately that's something that you can't get on demand when you really need it.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:04 am

Anne too was concerned that Jan dribbled when eating so Jan will be seeing Carol May 16th to be gas sedated and back teeth looked at for spurs.

Will NEVER take anymore pigs to see Anne. Carol and Kirsty may not know much about pigs but thet're honest about it and are willing to learn. Better the devil you know. The most dangerous vet is the one who claims to have knowledge.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:02 am

I forgot to mention Anne gave me some Clover pellets. She said they're very good for piggies and high in vitamin C. Has anyone tried Clover pellets? I do not know the maker.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Clover would be high in calcium. See if there is a nutritional breakdown for them.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:34 am

Ditto Lynx. The pigs would likely enjoy them, but clover hays are very high in calcium.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:07 pm

The pellets are made by Passwell and thankfully the free sample was only 50grams. And 4 of the piggies didn't like them anyways.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:23 am

Our Jan will be 4 in December and she is eating, being hand fed, doing all things normal but is losing weight. She has always been on the small size think she was the runt of the litter. 2 weeks ago she was 840grams and this week 800grams.

She has been to the vet and been checked out by Carol who found nothing. She did say Jan had a lot of cheek/skin in her mouth. No X-rays were took even though I pleaded for Carol to take some. If she continues to lose weight I will insist on dental X-rays or take her else where. I am at a lost as to why Jan and Jasmine lose weight around this time of year. Jemma Jasmine's sister would also lose weight this time of year.

szoze

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:46 pm

"2 weeks ago she was 840grams and this week 800grams."

When should we start worrying? For my pig, 20-30 gram can be a difference between morning and afternoon. :-)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:01 pm

Ditto szose. If you're not weighing at the same time every day, preferably before breakfast, you have no idea how much is pig and how much is food.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:39 am

If you're not weighing at the same time every day,
For the last 4 years Jasmine, Jemma and Jan have all lost weight from Spring to Autumn. Ranging from 60grams or more. I always weigh my girls at the same time not always the same day but at the same time. Last year Jasmine was 1184grams in November and in June she was 680grams and now she is 900grams.

Jan was 940grams in November and is now 800grams. This is not a food versus piggy thing. Something is causing these girls to lose weight. Whether it be stress, heat, or diet(hard to find grass) but something is at the bottom of it.

It is too late for Jemma but not for her sister Jasmine and Jan. If it's not medical what is it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:43 am

I wish I had answers for you, daisymay. I know you take great care of your guinea pigs.