Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat May 27, 2017 5:36 am

Jan has started to drink water. Something she never did. She gets hand fed 6 times a day and will drink 4 by 1ml syringes of water at each feed. I thought maybe the kidneys but on looking in GL's index I could find nothing on kidneys. Does someone know where I can find any info so I can look for symptoms and pass info onto my clueless vet? Thanks for the reply Lynx. Can always count on you!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 27, 2017 10:45 am

Is there some reason you think this is a problem? Mine go for days without drinking much water, and then will sit and slurp seemingly forever. I just put it down to being a guinea pig.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat May 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Is there some reason you think this is a problem? Mine go for days without drinking much water, and then will sit and slurp seemingly forever. I just put it down to being a guinea pig.

Jan is nearly four and a half and she and her sister Joy have never drank water and now all of a sudden Jan is drinking? I thought to drink more water was a symptom of kidney problems and maybe weight lost too? Thanks for the reply bpatters.

I am clutching at straws trying to find a cause that the late sister's Jemma and Jasmine and now Jan would lose weight in the Warmer months. Jemma and Jasmine started around 8 months of age but Jan started around 3 years old age.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 am

Okay been several months since my last post. Jan was put under and her teeth looked at and I was told all teeth were find. BUT now Jan is losing weight again, 60grams in 3 weeks. When I spoke to Carol about it she said guinea pig's weight varies from week to week do not be alarmed. From 764grams at vet she is now 702grams at home.

Now Jan is only eating 5% of her food, I am trying to get her booked in for a dental X-ray but Carol seems reluctant. She feels weight lost maybe due to weather(hasn't changed in last 2 months still wet, cold and windy), hormones which Carol could NOT feel any lumps, cysts when she felt Jan.

For last month or more Jan's fur has been coarse, fluffy and curly, which her fur did exactly the same thing January 2016. I tried to stress this meant she is in pain. But Carol didn't believe this as a month ago when we took her to the vet Jan had put on weight. One thing we noticed with Jan which she has NEVER done before was at the vet Jan just shook/trembled. She looked like a battery operated toothbrush she was shaking so much.

We are now scared of taking her to the vet incase it stresses her out again. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions would love to hear it! How do I boot Carol up the butt and get her to listen to me? At least with Kirsten she would listen and act on any of my suggestions but Carol just ignores them. Diet has NOT changed for any of the girls.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:18 pm

I am sorry she is not eating as much. I think of hair changes being caused by dietary changes (the weight loss means not as much food, perhaps not the right nutrients).

You are very knowledgeable and determined! I hope you can help her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:42 am

Here is one of the two images you sent me (they are pretty similar).
You might also look into flickr as a photo host.

I am not sure that the coloration you are seeing is significant. What I encourage you to do is primarily test for blood. Put your guinea pig into a plastic bin and try to collect some pee for testing. This is more likely normal urine coloration.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 am

What I encourage you to do is primarily test for blood.

How does one go about this? Carol said to spin the pee would cost $40.00AUD. She also wants to take a blood test as she is worried about kidneys and liver which I refused as I remember What Jasmine went through 12 months ago when they tried to get blood and I still hear Zoe squeaking when Kirsty got blood from her Throat area. Still haunts me and Zoe was awake through Kirsty's bumbling attempts to get blood.

Jan is eating grass, cucumber and rockmelon but that's about it, wish she'd eat more! Will keep you posted and Thanks Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:48 pm

You wanted to know what the stains were, no?
I believe there are also urine test strips that will tell you if there is blood in the urine. Perhaps a pharmacist could advise you and you could test at home.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:10 am

Jan has lost 30grams in 2 days and is now for the first time below 700grams. She is still only eating 5-20% of her food, and mainly eats the grass, which is in short supply as a lot has been damaged by frost or has slime on it from slugs and snails. She has lost 130grams since January this year.

I am trying to find some-one to ultra-sound her but this is proving difficult as most vets don't even have some-one qualified to do ultrasounds let alone on a guinea pig.

If anyone has any suggestions would love to hear it, Carol will not listen to me she still wants to take bloods which I am against! thanks for reading and for any replies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 am

Is this grass that you pick from your yard?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:50 am

Is this grass that you pick from your yard?
Yes it is. From our back yard.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:58 am

Jan went to see Carol yesterday (Friday) she is still losing weight. She's hardly eating anything and is hard to syringe feed. Carol couldn't find anything wrong with her so for the next few days she'll be on Metacam to see if she's in pain.

Carol And I can find no-one who will ultrasound a piggy, Carol feels the next step is X-rays or blood-works. What do you think? Zoe had an ultrasound and nothing showed up yet she had a tumour on her uterus. Jessie had X-rays and bloods and nothing showed up. What would be the best informative test to do next? Thanking you in advance.