Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:54 pm

Yes. I knew that. I fear I will forget it again! Have I said I'm old? I will say that again too!

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:16 pm

Like I said, no problem, its the long hair it confuses people, has done ever since I was a kid. Ive passed my half century now so will be using that excuse too. ;)

Back on topic Daisy May did you have any luck with the Wheat Grass/Kitty Grass?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:12 am

I am still growing it. Got to 3 inches fast and now it is at a stand still. It says you can grow inside which we are but may have to put it outside to get better results!

On good note Joy is eating a little bit and weight is steady for now. Will keep you posted! Thanks for the replies Lynx and rjespicer!

rjespicer

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:27 pm

If it is taking a while to grow are there any supermarkets or pet stores near you where you could get some in the short term? I just picked up 8 trays of it for our girls today :-)

I am glad to hear she is eating and her weight has stabilized

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:19 am

I'm very glad she's eating and maintaining her weight. I know you've had a terrible time of it lately. Hugs from Fuzz, Dusty, Belle, and myself and husband.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:29 am

Thanks for the replies rjespicer and GrannyJu1. Update on Joy, she is eating about 50-80% of her food. being syringe fed every 4 hours and hating every syringe. She is on Metomide twice a day-a tenth of a tablet, and Zantac Syrup 0.2 mls twice a day. Like her sister Jan who)Jan) is also on Meloxicam 0.6mls to help with pain.

She is no longer active(never was) she just lays under the hay looking miserable. Her weight is going up and down from the low 800grams to 750grams. Back in January she was over 1000grams.

After she has eaten or syringe fed her tummy goes quite hard. Noticed when she urinates it is not a steady stream but comes in bits and pieces until she lets it rip in one steady motion.(Jan and our late Jessie use too or does when urinating shakes her hind paws and looks very cute! But we have to be careful when looking in the flannel between her legs when urinating as she has good aim!).

Took Joy to the vet last week and as usual vet could find nothing wrong. She did how ever feel she described it as a small coil near her tummy. As Jinx was there for a weighing she compared Jinx in same area and hers was large. So over $100.00 a total of $300.00AUD we are no better off. She did suggest X-rays but at an earlier visit she said would show nothing or bloods. We declined the blood test as remember when poor Zoe got blood removed from throat area whilst still conscious and how we nearly lost Jasmine. She was sedated.

So any advise much appreciated. Will be back at library tomorrow and maybe Friday. She is NOT on any pain meds as this stopped her eating. After every feed she gets tummy massages by hand and toothbrush. Thanks any replies in advance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:30 am

I would have suggested xrays too, to check for stones or other abnormalities.

I am sorry you are both dealing with this.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:25 am

I have no advice but I do have lots of hugs and warm wishes for everyone. Not much help, I know.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:08 am

Thanks for the replies Lynx and GrannyJu1 here is a copy of email I sent Furbabies vet concerning Joy.
y. X-rays helped us with Jan I am hoping it will help with Joy too. If it is something bad like cancer I do NOT want to know. Will be at the library again Monday.
Like I said in my texts Joy is now eating 50-90% of her food, maintaining weight, BUT looks sad and miserable and is fluffed up as in pain. BUT when we put her on Jan's Meloxicam she stopped eating and lost massive weight! She is now hovering around the 820gram mark. Normally I would say X-rays aren't needed but the unhappy miserable look she has and fluffed up is a great concern to me. I have moved Jaffa and Jill's pen together with Joy and Jan's so she can see them but she just isn't interested!

She was fine at home it is since we moved here. When we moved in there was a faint smell of paint-gave me headaches for at least 10 days would this be the cause or is she upset and affected by the move? What do you think?

We are looking into a friend for her as when Jan is with her they just seem to stay out of each-other's way and I am NOT sure this is helping Joy! Not sure if Joy will accept another piggy but if we get one and after 2 weeks quarantine we will try to introduce them! If she wont accept a piggy sadly we will need to find a forever home for her as have no room for another cage or pen-will break my heart though! if I had my way I would have hundreds of piggies but fear my husband would leave me if I did!

When Jessie was alive and we got Jemma and Jasmine we just put them all together and NO problems they got on together like a house on fire! Until Jessie tried to have sex to their faces and that they didn't like! Not that she could get her legs up that high but she gave it a red hot go!

Will keep you posted, but not sure X-rays are needed seeing as she is eating and maintaining weight? She like Jessie hates the Meloxicam for the pain 0.07mls but like I said Jan loves it and tries to eat the syringe when we give it to her, she tries to suck out the last drop!
Will be back Monday or maybe even tomorrow(Friday) not sure yet. But thanks again to you both!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:21 am

daisymay, there are other pain meds you might try. One of my pigs can't tolerate Meloxicam, so she gets Buprenorphine when she needs it. My vet says it doesn't do the nasty things to piggy bodies like the Meloxicam can.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:19 am

I will ask the piggies vet and see if available here in Australia. Thanks for help and reply GrannyJu1. Will keep you posted! So far eating, syringe fed, maintaining weight. But sad and miserable and fluffy. Not interested in much. I am hoping a little friend will help, if not will have to find little friend a new home. As husband would kill me if we had another cage or pen! Then who would look after the girls? Thanks again!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 am

Husband wouldn't kill you. He'd have to look after your furbabies!