Temporary Sticky - azithromycin feedback?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:39 am

And what was the weight of your guinea pig?

This is why I need it to figure out the dosage:

www.guinealynx.info/_dose.html

MrsSuzy

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:33 am

Itsy was initially 850gr. She eventually regained weight she had lost because of teeth and got to 1kg. The dosage was then adjusted to 1ml.

Hope that helps?

Countrylass

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Sweep has just spent 10 days on it, his weight was 1.2kg and the dosage was 0.1ml per 100g making two doses per day of 0.6ml. Concentration was 200mg/5ml. He didn't like the taste and it affected his appetite for salad. If young spring grass hadn't been available he would have lost a lot more weight plus thankfully Lulu allowed him to raid her bottom for beneficial bacteria. Now he's finished his course, his weight is creeping back up and his appetite is back to normal.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:51 pm

My Peek developed a limp and our vet thought it might be bumblefoot, so she put him on 1 ml once per day, along with the metacam and a betadine solution soak. It took a while, and we never found out for sure what caused the limp, but it cleared up and came back off and on for several months. Gone now, and that was last summer & fall.

Scatter-bug developed an infection after his neutering. Vet removed a "huge" sac of yuck & put him on the azithromycin. 1 ml, once a day, and told me to flush the incision site with a 1/10 betadine solution (this was before I found out the betadine stings like you-know-what). It did heal well though.

P.S. Those Health Record Books are so handy!!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Sorry, took too long to edit for their weights and lost the info, so here it is:

Peek - began Azithromycin 4/7/2014; Weight on March 19 was 2lbs 9 oz (1317 grams). For some reason I can't remember, I switched measures to pounds totally so... By June 6th, he'd completely stopped limping and was at 2 lbs 15 oz. Currently weighs 1407 grams (3 lbs. 1.6 oz)

Scatter was neutered on Jan. 30, 2014. Weight was 1378 grams on 1/24. Started Azithromycin on the Feb. 18, was 1341 grams. On Feb 25th, vet removed the infection - he was at 1312 grams. By March 10th he was completely healed; weight at 1256 grams and gaining. Currently weighs 1458 grams (3 lbs 3.4 oz.)

On a side note: In Jan (before neutering) Scatter seemed to develop a URI and vet put him on Baytril LA (?) 0.6 ml once daily for 14 days. After only 3 days, he developed major problems with his rear legs: they didn't seem to be able to hold his weight; when he's stand, he'd "stretch" his rear legs out behind him, but held the stretch for longer than normal; laid down to eat; kicked all the beddiing (at that time was on carefresh) away so he was laying on bare choroplast. Stopped the Baytril and problem cleared up immediately. He lost approximately 20 grams between Jan 1 and Jan 22. I can't remember why we went ahead with the neuter on the 30th. Vet must have felt he was healthy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:05 pm

When you say 1 ml, what was the concentration in mg/ml?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:00 am

If I'm reading this correctly - "100 mg* per 5 mL"

It also says "100 mg/5 ml Suspens"

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:17 am

That would be a suspension of 20 mg/ml.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 12:08 pm

Azithromycin/Zithromax was what Snowy had during her stay at TEAS with her dental abscess.

I know a large number if pigs who have had it with no side effects.

I'll ask TEAS to comment. She has used it with many of the pigs who've stayed at her sanctuary, for a variety of things from abscesses to head tilts.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Snowy's dose was 40mg per ml solution, and was on 0.75cc at 750g weight. That was for a severe dental abscess.

gizzy

Post   » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:26 pm

When I use it l alway make sure I have a good supply of pro biotic ,

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:47 pm

We have Buzz currently on a 2 week course of azithromycin.

He has unknown cause cystitis (x-rays clear, twice) and a problem with his incisors (discolouration in the length, molars fine on dental exam).

200mg per 5ml suspension.
0.85cc once daily for an 850g pig.