Blind, deaf, and toothless baby Einstein-piggy

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun May 02, 2004 1:08 am

I tried to put grass in the Cuisinart to chop it up so I could syringe-feed it to him, for the fiber and everything, and it didn't work at all. I was hoping it could lessen the need for those $20 canisters of Critical Care (which look like they last him about a month, which is more than the pellets for all four pigs combined cost) with chopped grass, at least in the summer, but it doesn't look like it'll work. Or perhaps my Cuisinart just isn't up to the task.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 02, 2004 9:11 am

Grass is tough. I'm not surprised you were unable to chop it. Would be great for Einstein though. Perhaps using a fine chopping technique with a good knife might work.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun May 02, 2004 9:57 am

Do you have a blender? Its action is different from Cuisineart, and may work. You'd need to add other material to help distribute the grass and keep it from clogging up (perhaps water/babyfood). Maybe a trip to St. Vincent today? If you can get the grass washed out, you can make daquiri's for yourself.

lisam

Post   » Sun May 02, 2004 10:14 am

The health food store near me sells wheat grass juicers.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 02, 2004 10:18 am

Wheat grass is very soft and easily cut. It is also delicious and sweet.

ChadWPB

Post   » Sun May 02, 2004 7:29 pm

Salana, I'm glad to see the little guy putting on some weight. I don't have any suggestions for your problem, but best of luck to you and your little Einstein.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:27 pm

I took Einstein to see Dr. S in Bound Brook (exciting train adventures! Total travel time, 5.5 hours!). He was impressed by the dental films they'd taken at Cornell, trimmed Einstein's teeth without anesthesia (with a lot of whining), and told me to put Einstein on daily Metacam, 0.07ml, for the rest of his life, because his lower tooth roots are digging into his jaw. He also had a small ulcer in his mouth, so he gets the mouthwash he loves so much.

Dr. S also told me to cut Einstein's vegetables into long strips so he could grab them with his lips and suck them in, and he stressed the importance of hay, and claimed that Einstein would put on a bunch more weight and only have to have his teeth trimmed every 8-10 weeks. We'll see about that.

While I was paying, Dr. S brought out a boar who had terrible suture reactions to chromic gut used by a cheapo vet in his neuter. It was absolutely hideous--the skin that wasn't necrotic looked like bubbled pizza cheese, and the poor boar had to put up with a collar, and also had a URI.

ChadWPB

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:38 pm

...and claimed that Einstein would put on a bunch more weight and only have to have his teeth trimmed every 8-10 weeks

Like you don't know that already. Duh.Good to see he's doing well. If he's anything like Amee, he'll learn to love the Metacam since it should make him feel better.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:40 pm

Is Einey still a peachy-pellet addict? Can he manage grass? Did you ever get a blended-grass-product machine?

Good to get Einey updates. Is there anything to be done about his tooth roots?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:45 pm

Einstein is actually as heavy as he's ever been. He may learn to love the Metacam, but I think the smell will always disgust me. Ugh!

He can manage grass, but I have no source of it here, and I never found a way to blend it. All that can be done for his tooth roots is to trim his teeth, encourage him to eat hay, etc.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:17 pm

What about that wheat-grass powder you can get at the health-food store?

We are going to grow a big ol' vat of pesticide-free hay on the deck. Maybe we can share some periodically. And I definitely have TONS O' HAY for you this weekend.

pinta

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:25 pm

Elongated roots require aggressive planing to compensate for the root length. Often the molars don't get planed enough because the gum swells when there is a pain issue hiding the molar overgrowth.

The way around swollen gums is to go back within a week, after the gums have receded to fit with the recent tooth planing, and aggressively plane again.

It works the same as when you push the cuticle down on your nail exposing more nail surface.