Blind, deaf, and toothless baby Einstein-piggy

Teresa

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:18 pm

I grew up in Owego, Spenser, and other nearby towns. Lived outside of Ithaca for a year when I was kid. My grandmother retired as a head maid at one of the dorms. My mom worked there for a while, too.

Cornell was a playground to me growing up. I love that one bridge with the waterfall that freezes over in the winter. God it's gorgeous. The whole campus is really incredible. Some of those hills are just killer!

Now I'm homesick.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:39 pm

I'm on Buffalo St. So I'd have to walk up the steep hill, say, to Eddy St., go up the steep hill on Williams St. to Dryden St., go up that hill to College Ave., and I'm at the bottom edge of campus. Yech. Especially in this heat. (I have heat-, humidity- and exercise-aggravated asthma.) Especially with a guinea pig in a carrier with a water bottle and something to keep him cool.

I also need to take Doom in to have his cyst-with-tumor-cells taken out or at least looked at. Einstein doesn't weigh half a pound, but Doom weighs two and a half.

My brother lives in Ithaca, and he or my sister-in-law would take me, I'm sure, but they're visiting friends in Boston until the end of this week. I don't think Doom's cyst/tumor needs to be seen before next week (his vet back home saw it, wanted to take it out, but said that if it was shrinking that was good and he didn't need to have surgery as long as it kept shrinking) and the way they're not returning my call, it doesn't look like Einstein's going to be seen this week either. *grumble*

Paisley

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:47 pm

Teresa,

My brother and sister-in-law live in Spencer! Small world, eh?

The waterfalls and gorges in Ithaca are beautiful. We would sometimes go swimming in the gorges. That was fun!

You know what I miss most about Cornell? The ringing of the bells on the bell tower! I used to love hearing that!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:50 pm

Oh, the bells drive me nuts. They play things that are just terrible on bells, like "The Sound of Silence" and "In the Mood" and "Stairway to Heaven". And at least one of the chimesmasters last year wound up constantly sounding like piano practice at home, you know, (s)he'd screw up and then go back and try the phrase again, or get the tempo all wrong, or mess up the rhythm, or hit the wrong notes. It was quite awful.

Paisley

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:55 pm

Oh dear! What a shame! I'm sorry you haven't had the chance to hear the bells in their proper mode. We had good bell ringers between 1982 and 1986. They did an excellent job.

bats

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:09 pm

> I love that one bridge with the waterfall that freezes over in the winter.

There are several... depending on which gorge you are thinking about. Probably Triphammer Falls, seen below.

Teresa

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:17 pm

THANKS BATS! Yes, that one. It is so cool to stand on the bridge. My grandmothers dorm was just up the hill to the left of that photo.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:30 pm

I miss the bells too. My undergrad college has chimes also, and I miss those. I'm getting married next summer, and one thing I regret about our ceremony location is that there won't be any bells to greet us as we leave the church.

Paisley - the library system had advanced into the computer era by the time I was doing research ('94-'96). Is Olin library the larger one, next to the Bell Tower building? I spent a lot of time in that one. I think I've been in about half of the libraries. I got pretty good at finding my way around them, but the Engineering library confused me to no end. Also scary to see the Engineering students huddled in dark corners in the basement on a Sat. afternoon. One of those places where the lights in the stacks are on timers, so you have to turn them on before you enter the stacks, and if you spend too long finding whatever you're looking for, you get trapped in the dark.

Paisley

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:51 pm

Thank you for the pictures, Bats!

Brimstone,
Uris library is next to the Bell Tower. Olin library is directly across from the Bell Tower.

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:14 pm

Those are breathtaking photos! Wow.

Paisley

Post   » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:10 pm

salana,

I thought of this a few days ago but kept forgetting to post it.

The House Rabbit Society has a list of recommended vets for *rabbits* in the Ithaca area. Perhaps you could contact them to see if they are familiar with guinea pig health, etc.? I'm including the number they have for Cornell, in case it differs from the one you have.

You may wish to ask them various guinea pig related questions to see if they are "cavy savy": https://www.guinealynx.info/findingavet.html

Vets in the Ithaca Area - recommended by the House Rabbit Society

Dr. James Morrisey
Dr. Sara Childs
Exotics/Wildlife
Cornell Veterinary School
607-253-3060

* Small Animal Medicine & Companion Animal Hospital
* Appointments and Directions
* Especially recommended for:
* rabbit oncology
* after hours emergencies
* orthopedics/fractures

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Christine Armao
Briar Patch Animal Hospital
706 Elmira Rd
Ithaca, NY
670-272-2828

Dr. Brian Collins
Colonial Veterinary Hospital
607-257-3650

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:36 pm

Einstein has an appointment at 2 tomorrow at the vet school, along with Doom (I think his lump is getting bigger...) I don't know who it's with, but it's with someone in exotics. I'll write about it tomorrow afterwards. They charge $19 to set up a chart for each pig though! It's awful!

Einstein loves to eat pellet mash mixed with baby food from a syringe (still the big one; there are no syringes that I can find that I can cut down to the tube and still fit in his mouth) and he loves shaking all the mess off his chin and getting orangey-brown goop all over the place.