Blind, deaf, and toothless baby Einstein-piggy

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:02 am

Salana is definitely still an active member of the board. Einy is one of GL's guinea pig heroes. And Salana is definitely an owner hero.

julbrock

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:16 am

thanks for that answer...I Do currently have a little heath issue I'm working on w/ Sheila. Maybe someone out there has had the same. She was getting crusties on her skin. I thought maybe mites, so I bathed her as I've done her whole life and misted her w/ mite spray. But a week later, the crusties were worse, some on her back & some on her belly and one back leg. When I went to clean them, her hair fell out, so now she has little pink patched of skin where the hair is missing. I've put her in a nursery box with a heating pad underneath, and I've continued to clean the sites w/ diluted Nolvasan solution, then apply a Triple Antibiotic. It's been a couple days now & most of the scabs are gone; she's eating & drinking & resting a lot. So, I'm hoping she'll be ok. Any other suggestions?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:46 am

I have no experience with patches like that, unfortunately. You might want to consider posting an individual health thread on your pig so that the knowledgeable ones will be sure to see it.

Good luck!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:58 am

Skin problems? I would bathe with Nizoral shampoo, rinse and dry thoroughly and treat topically with ivermectin.

gl/topical_ivermectin.html

julbrock

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:43 pm

Thanks everyone! I didn't know about Ivermectin for GP's. I'll definitely get it. Sheila's a tuff little leathal.

After reading Einy's story (& crying my eyes out-Salana & he went thru so much together & it reminded me so much of Sheila & what we've been thru together) I started asking my self how old Sheila really is.

My husband & I were just talking, and we've pin-pointed her birth w/ my sweety sow Zelda & her husband Zack, to summer 2001! (We have photos w/ dates, so I can look at those and find out which month). But I know she's gotta be at least 6 yrs old! She's littler than her brothers (2 born at same time), so I keep thinking she's still young.

Her Mom, my very first GP, Zelda died about 6 months ago of pneumonia, but the rest of the herd, Dad-Zack, brothers Chip & Elmo, and second litter sister Lucy, are all still alive. I lost Lucy's sister, Cookie & brother Oreo, when a neighbor's lose dog grabbed them while the herd was grazing in the grass in their pens in 2003. But otherwise, theyve been a pretty healthy, happy, resilient family. They are all Peruvian long-hairs. I'll attach some photos, if someone can tell me how. (I'm new here obviously!)

Anyway, glad to know you are all there & I have resources now, I didn't have before! :) Thanks!

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:54 pm

Wow, Sheila is 6 yrs. old!!! That is impressive. Where abouts in San Diego do you live? I live in the El Cajon area. I will be in Encinitas tomorrow helping at an adoption event.

I think there are instructions on posting pictures, in one of the stickies probably. I know you have post your pics on a public server, like photobucket.com, dropshots.com, or flickr.com. The size limit for pictures in threads like this, is 700 pixels wide and you put the link in your message, surrounded by *img tags. Hopefully someone else will be along to give you better instructions.

julbrock

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:06 am

I live in Rancho Penasquitos. What time and where is your adoption event? Is it for GP's or other animals too?

I love just about all animals-I take spiders & bees outside, so my husband won't squash them. I won't let him poison the pack rats that were geting into our storage shed. I'm kind of silly that way. Sometimes I think I believe in animals more than people...people are capable of malice & most animals are not.

The little guy in your photo is adorable-a baby?

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:29 am

Guinea pigs mostly and maybe some rats and hamsters for adoption. It is a Wee Companions event, at the Encinitas PetsMart, from 11am - 4pm. We are staffing the Santa photo booth during those hours too!! You can find more information at www.weecompanions.com. The upcoming adoption events are listed on the home page.

The little guy in my avatar is Reginald. He is a Skinny, not a baby, not sure how old he is, but am guessing around 1 1/2 or 2. I love his big flappy ears, you can hear him shake his head since they flap on bare skin. He is deaf too. But the most active engaging boy around, and a climber too. :-)

julbrock

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:04 am

Never heard of Skinny's- Is tha t a hairless breed? So cute!

julbrock

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:06 am

Is it ok to get Ivermectin on the Internet? Vets tick me off cause they are so $$$.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:44 am

Yes, a Skinny is a hairless breed.

And yes, lots of people on here buy Ivermectin and treat at home. You just need to dose correctly for the strength.

julbrock

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:59 am

He is soooo cute-do hairless need warmer environments?

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:12 am

Yes, and more food!! They burn more calories to maintain their body temperature. Reginald is also very active, he is very people friendly, but not really a lap piggy.

They are a controversial breed. Reginald's rescuer did thorough research about me and my guinea pig experience before allowing me to adopt him. Since he is deaf, and was assumed to be blind too, he had lots of special needs issues. I do not believe he is completely blind, he reacts to things too much. I think he sees at least light and dark or perhaps shapes. I have had him since April of this year.

julbrock

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:08 pm

I didn't know it then, but looking back, I think Sheila's parents, Zack & Zelda were probably related, possibly even different litters from same breeder. She was black & white while he was brown, black & white, and at the time, I didn't realize a lethal, like Sheila, would probably be the result. Heck, I didn't even know what a lethal was.

When I realized something wasn't right w/ her eyes, I figured she was just an Albino throw-back (like horses). But when I saw she only had one tooth, I started check it out on the Internet & discovered what a lethal was.

At first, I felt bad that I inadvertantly created a lethal, but she's had a really good life, and apparently a long one too for a lethal, so I guess it's not so bad.

I don't know if she sees anything out of her "good" eye (it's really clear pinkish/blueish), so I kind of doubt it, but she roots around to find her food or water, and doesn't seem to think she's different than her sister she shares a cage with. She may be deaf, too; she doesn't wake up when I make noise, so she probably is deaf.

I just need to get her skin problem resolved so she can go back into the herd hutch.

Wheekers3

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:15 pm

Could she be laying in her pee, and it is causing urine burn or crust?

My pig, Suey ( 8) , has been having some trouble with that. It forms almost a scab like material, that you do not want to try and peel off. It takes soaking and gentle rubbing and fingernail scritches to remove them. They form in just a few days and seem to be on her upper left butt in the size of a penny. . I do not know how she gets it so high up.

It is urine - no doubt there. When you blow dry her ( very carefully ! ) she smells of it.

I admire those who have taken good care of a lethal.

julbrock

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:24 pm

Thank you, Wheekers3-that means a lot to me.

I'm a little confused about the Ivermectin thing. One GL suggestion was the paste diluted orally. Another was the injectable solution topically. What's your experience? What's better do you think? And where's the best place to get it?
Thx,
Jul

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:55 am

Julbrock, just for continuity's sake, you should start adding all this information on the medical thread you started, so if anyone has any questions, they have the whole history in one thread.

I prefer injectible topically. You can get it from a feed store. Or there are on line places, if you look at the care guide under Ivermectin.

lisam

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:36 am

Julbrock, use your other thread from now on. I've copied the information from here onto it.

758 posts