Blind, deaf, and toothless baby Einstein-piggy

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

Poor Einie. It sure does sound like an abscess.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:45 pm

I wound up going to Dr. Stuart. Einy had an abscess, which Dr. Stuart drained and left open. He gave me gentamicin drops to put in the hole three times a day and said I didn't need to flush it.

1. Is this an acceptable alternative to flushing?
2. Is Einstein's face going to be oozing for a few days?
3. Is there any way to keep him from scratching his cheek?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:10 pm

For more clarity, is the opening on the inside of the mouth or on the outside (on the cheek)?

You can bandage his front paws so he can't scratch as well (and/or his back paws if he's using them). For bandaging, I wrap with cotton gauze then apply Vetwrap and put a collar of 1/4" non stretchy tape at the ankle so it can't be slipped off.

I guess if it were on the outside, I would be tempted to flush any opening with a dilute antiseptic solution. But that's just me.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:16 pm

I hope Einy feels better soon.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:18 pm

It's on the outside (when I find my USB cable I'll upload some pictures). I am tempted to flush it. I don't know if it opens into his mouth, though, or if there's a barrier between the abscess and the surface of the ulcer.

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:14 pm

Oh my poor baby boy. Tell him I'm thinking about him and sending him peachypellet thoughts, or would he prefer CC thoughts?

I will need to speak with Einy about this latest development. I hope it's not to painful for him.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:59 am

Sorry Einey!! Feel better soon!

GP Slave
The check's in the mail....

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:04 am

See Salana? Robyn's kisses are toxic to my poor Einy! I'm the only one for him. Feel better soon Einy!

Robyn, shame on you for giving Einy some of your icky poison.

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:59 pm

Tsk, tsk Gp Slave. Did Einy call you last night...not... because he called me. So there...(((walks away shaking her head wondering when GP Slave will ever get it.)))

Salana, how is my little guy doing today?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:16 pm

His cheek scabs up with dried blood after each flush and I feel so bad picking it off at the next flush-and-antibiotics session. He cries and tries to run away. I even hotpack it with a warm washcloth first to try to soften it, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:19 pm

I sympathize. I wonder if it would be worth seeing if it will heal on its own (since you're giving antibiotics). I'm sure you would notice immediately if it looked like it was collecting pus.

pinta

Post   » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:24 am

He can't afford to have any pus collecting. The risk is that the infection will spread to the bone or go into the bloodstream. Unless the pus is cultured, there's is no guarantee that the AB is the right one which is another good reason to keep flushing.

Beachez has been on ABs for months to deal with her ulcerated paws and one paw still manages to get infected.