https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 8:06 am

This page may help you:

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Rufi

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 8:24 am

He is getting powder probiotics, which were purchased from the vet, almost every day after the accident. It seems to me that sometimes he eats the droppings of his mates also. Anyway, I will give him droppings from another healthy pig dissolved in water (@SardonicSmile: thank you for the link!).

Rufi eats now greens or vegetables (but no hay), but in limited amounts.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 9:00 am

He needs fibre, are you still feeding a pellet slurry?

Rufi

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 9:43 am

No. Since he is maintaining his weight just by eating and grass contains fiber, I considered that there is no need to hand feed him anymore. After he started eating on his own there was no slurry which he would like and hand feeding was a stress for him.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 9:51 am

Since he weighs so little (less than half of most adult pigs) it would not be a bad thing if he gains weight instead of keeping the weight he is now, I would try and continue to feed him pellets.

Either as a slurry or regular pellets. Sometimes piggies eat pellet slurry from a spoon or a dish, then handfeeding wouldn't be necessary.

Maybe you can find this feed
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/guinea-pig-food- ... 1kg-p-9415

It is not a pellet, rather a sort of soft stick, he might be able to eat this better than hard pellets.

pinta

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 10:20 am

It's the chlorophyll(sp?) in the grass. New grass is richer than second growth grass(that comes up after the first grass). Senior pigs and horses have the same problem with fresh spring grass. Just cut the grass and veggies out until the diarrhea stops, give him poop soup, pellets/pellet slurry and make sure he's getting water. Diarrhea is dehydrating. I give hydration subdues when pigs have diarrhea. Once the diarrhea stops reintroduce the grass and veggies gradually.

I would definitely keep pellets/slurry in the diet while he is so underweight.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 am

Ditto pinta.

Can you get a supplemental formula like Critical Care or Science Recovery?

Rufi

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 3:29 am

I have CC and I can make him pellet slurry also.

Ok, I will stop giving him, until diarrhea stops, grass and I will feed him manually (he would not eat pellets on his own). I didn't wanted to do this, since during grass eating he was grinding his teeth, but dehydration is more perilous. Thanks!

pinta

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 5:45 am

Diarrhea caused by diet doesn't take too long to resolve itself. Usually within 24 hours you should see an improvement. Once the second growth of grass comes in you can probably feed more. I suspect it's the sudden change of diet combined with new grass that is causing the problems.

Cabbage is another green to watch out for: Pigs who are not used to cabbage must be introduced very slowly or they will end up with gas that could result in Stasis.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 7:10 am

Once he stabilizes, you can start him on small amounts of grass and increase slowly if there are no further problems.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 2:08 pm

Ditto to all of the above. Keep us posted.

It's frustrating, I know, because he likes the grass and does well with it. Just reintroduce it in smaller amounts, more slowly, once he recovers.