Drooling, not eating

Rufi

Post   » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:55 am

Thanks pinta!
I think he is wearing the Chin-Sling correctly. Looking at his jaw(which is slightly open) I think (hope) that his incisors are overgrown. I will take him to the vet today.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:18 am

DON'T let them cut his incisors too short -- if they cut them at all. Ideally the incisors don't need to be trimmed at all; only the molars, and those only if necessary.

They often "look" overgrown if you look at them from a human, or dog, or cat, reference point of view. If you ever see the incisors of a rat or mouse, though, you'll see something closer to what a guinea pig's are supposed to look like.

(Actually, a rat's upper incisors are normally shorter than a cavy's, but you get the idea.)

Rufi

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:08 am

Unfortunately Rufi's molars have overgrown again. The vet who planned his teeth last time is in vacation, so the operation will me made only on Monday.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm sorry they have overgrown. You're still weighing and hand feeding, no?

pinta

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Can he still tolerate the Chin-Sling? If the tongue isn't entrapped and he can tolerate it he will be able to do some grinding on his own while waiting for the vet appointment.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:44 am

Best to him and to you over the weekend, and on Monday. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Rufi

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:27 am

I am weighing and hand feed him.

Regarding the Chin-Sling, I am thinking that maybe he shouldn't wear it, since he should eat as much as he can (he still eats on his own certain foods, though not with ease). And regardless, his teeth will be planned on Monday.
Can he wear his Chin-Sling right after the operation?

I hope I can post some good news on Monday. Until then, thank you all for your thoughts!

pinta

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Wait for 3 days after the procedure before he wears the Chin-Sling and make sure he is on pain meds.

His mouth will be sore and his teeth sensitive right after the procedure.

Rufi

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:13 am

Fortunately Rufi survived the 7 hours long trip and the operation.

He had overgrown molars only on one side of his jaw, I presume he is (hopefully was) chewing awkwardly because of the pain caused by the dislocated jaw.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:52 pm

Poor guy. I hope with your care (diligent weighing and feeding when necessary) he turns around. Were you given pain medication?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:32 am

Ditto Lynx. How is he doing today?

Rufi

Post   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:00 am

After the first molar trimming his face was very swollen, this time it is much better. I hand feed him and give him painkillers. I am not sure, but it seems to me that he already started to nibble at some food. Anyway, he is very exited when the food is delivered:).