Drooling, not eating

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:01 am

Don't give him too much cabbage if he isn't use to it. It can cause gas problems in pigs.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:13 pm

Ditto Pinta. Give him only very small amounts and make sure his body can handle it properly.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:59 am

How is your piggie doing?

hanna

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:58 am

Couldn't some of you guys living in USA just send one over to them? I've orderd this and that from USA and delivery has been quick even without express. DHL only charged 20 eur last time (25usd app). I was wondering if there is point to put a small package of critical care into the box, too? I can assist in payment if that is a case.

Rufi

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:02 am

@SardonicSmile: Rufi is active, lively, cleans himself, even put some weight on him, eats on his own only cucumber and cabbage, but only in small amounts. He wears his chin-sling multiple times a day, though he doesn't like it (he fights when I want to put on him the chin-sling, which is good a sign).

@Hanna: Thank you for your idea and kind offer! The problem is that in my area Guinea pigs are not common pets, the vets have no experience with them, I had to travel to another town to get x-rays and his molars cuts. Consequently, one cannot find Critical Care or has to order pellets from the internet. I usually order my sporting apparel from amazon and eastbay, and have to wait for 3-4 weeks (and go to customs). Anyway, I thinks his feeding is ok, since he is on this diet for 7 weeks and seems to be ok. Also, money is no issue, I would pay the required sums of money to ease his pain or get him well (in the end, I am the one who caused all this, since I stepped on him).

SardonicSmile

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:46 am

Glad he is doing well! Hope he keeps improving.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Also -- bless you and thank you for caring for him so well and carefully after the accident. Many people would not take responsibility and would not care. Thank you for being one of the good folks.

Rufi

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:08 am

@Talishan: Thank you! I can say the same thing to you and others who help with information and advice...

I will post whenever there is a change in Rufi's situation. In the meantime, I stopped administering pain killers, since I don't see anymore a difference in his behavior - I don't think he has jaw pains anymore. He is curious, lively, only that he will/can't eat on his own. He also swallows 2x times faster as before when I hand feed him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Okay. If he's swallowing faster, then something's getting better. Keep going and please do let us know how he's doing.

Rufi

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:03 am

I have some good news!
Rufi began to eat radish leaves in such an amount that he would maintain his weight without hand feeding. Nevertheless, I still give him a small amount of mix with the main ingredient being pellets. He also eats limited amounts of apple, cabbage or cucumber.
The only downside is that he doesn't cuts his leaves, but tears them using his front legs and mouth.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:30 pm

Whatever works. If he's not in pain, whatever accommodation he can make to eat that works is what matters! Great news.

Are you using a Chin-Sling with him?

Rufi

Post   » Sat May 02, 2015 3:59 am

Rufi is wearing the chin-sling for around 10 hours/day. Also he gets a massage 2 times/day.