http://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 8:06 am

This page may help you:

gl/diarrhea.html

Rufi

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 8:24 am

He is getting powder probiotics, which were purchased from the vet, almost every day after the accident. It seems to me that sometimes he eats the droppings of his mates also. Anyway, I will give him droppings from another healthy pig dissolved in water (@SardonicSmile: thank you for the link!).

Rufi eats now greens or vegetables (but no hay), but in limited amounts.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 9:00 am

He needs fibre, are you still feeding a pellet slurry?

Rufi

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 9:43 am

No. Since he is maintaining his weight just by eating and grass contains fiber, I considered that there is no need to hand feed him anymore. After he started eating on his own there was no slurry which he would like and hand feeding was a stress for him.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 9:51 am

Since he weighs so little (less than half of most adult pigs) it would not be a bad thing if he gains weight instead of keeping the weight he is now, I would try and continue to feed him pellets.

Either as a slurry or regular pellets. Sometimes piggies eat pellet slurry from a spoon or a dish, then handfeeding wouldn't be necessary.

Maybe you can find this feed
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/guinea-pig-food-vetcare-guinea-pig-fo ... a-1kg-p-9415

It is not a pellet, rather a sort of soft stick, he might be able to eat this better than hard pellets.

pinta

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 10:20 am

It's the chlorophyll(sp?) in the grass. New grass is richer than second growth grass(that comes up after the first grass). Senior pigs and horses have the same problem with fresh spring grass. Just cut the grass and veggies out until the diarrhea stops, give him poop soup, pellets/pellet slurry and make sure he's getting water. Diarrhea is dehydrating. I give hydration subdues when pigs have diarrhea. Once the diarrhea stops reintroduce the grass and veggies gradually.

I would definitely keep pellets/slurry in the diet while he is so underweight.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 am

Ditto pinta.

Can you get a supplemental formula like Critical Care or Science Recovery?

Rufi

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 3:29 am

I have CC and I can make him pellet slurry also.

Ok, I will stop giving him, until diarrhea stops, grass and I will feed him manually (he would not eat pellets on his own). I didn't wanted to do this, since during grass eating he was grinding his teeth, but dehydration is more perilous. Thanks!

pinta

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 5:45 am

Diarrhea caused by diet doesn't take too long to resolve itself. Usually within 24 hours you should see an improvement. Once the second growth of grass comes in you can probably feed more. I suspect it's the sudden change of diet combined with new grass that is causing the problems.

Cabbage is another green to watch out for: Pigs who are not used to cabbage must be introduced very slowly or they will end up with gas that could result in Stasis.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 7:10 am

Once he stabilizes, you can start him on small amounts of grass and increase slowly if there are no further problems.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 2:08 pm

Ditto to all of the above. Keep us posted.

It's frustrating, I know, because he likes the grass and does well with it. Just reintroduce it in smaller amounts, more slowly, once he recovers.

Rufi

Post   » Sun May 17, 2015 7:59 am

I stopped feeding Rufi fresh grass, and the diarrhea subsided in around 1,5 days. Meantime I give him poop soup. I will start to reintroduce grass in his diet.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun May 17, 2015 10:11 am

I would let him stabilize for at least a week before you introduce fresh grass again. Make absolutely sure it is nice clean uncontaminated grass (no dog pee or poop).

pinta

Post   » Sun May 17, 2015 1:21 pm

You could try him on other greens. Julienne them so they resemble grass in shape.

The safe second growth of grass is what comes up after the first mowing.

Watch out for clover - can have the same effect. Has to be introduced gradually. Once their systems are used to it they can handle more.

Rufi

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:36 am

I would like to express my gratitude to all of you who helped Rufi survive! Without your wonderful community, he would not be here... God bless you!

Rufi steadily gains weight, though he would not eat hay. But hopefully this will change until autumn. In every other aspect, he seems normal and happy.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:02 am

May he maintain good health!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Ditto Lynx.

Remember that YOU did the work. We can advise and support, but YOU are the one that handfed him, took him to multiple vets, and did everything you needed to do to help him recover.

You have kept your commitment to him throughout, and saved his life. That's important. Take some pride in that, too.

Rufi

Post   » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:54 am

Unfortunately, Rufi's ability to cut and chew has deteriorated.
Looking for the reason, I observed that Rufi's cheek is moist.
I presume there can be 4 reasons:
-weak jaw muscles
-overgrown molars
-overgrown incisors
-a combination of the above
Can you guys give me an advice? Of course, I could take him to the vet, but they are also inexperienced in these matters regarding Guinea pigs. I would like to save Rufi from unnecessary stress and pain.

Thank you in advance!

pinta

Post   » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:29 am

He needs to see the vet for a check up. If his molars are overgrown they will need to be planed. Has he been wearing his Chin-Sling and has it been on tight enough? You should be able to get a finger between the Chin-Sling and his cheek but it should be very snug but his eyes should not be watering.

Are his incisors aligned when he is wearing the Chin-Sling and is viewed from the front? If not he will need a pad on one side to nudge the jaw over into proper alignment. But if the molars have overgrown again, they will need planing.

168 posts