JoeJoe's medical thread

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Here we go, my first medical thread on my pig. My three year old Joe-Joe is having some issues. I awoke suddenly last Saturday morning and heard a strange noise, that I haven't heard before coming from my JoeJoe. It almost sounded like she had something in her throat and was unable to clear it. However this sound disappeared when she started eating her pellets.

This sound hadn't appeared until today. I am now thinking something is going on, or perhaps brewing. When she is at rest, I hear a clicking noise that seems to come and go. However when she is worked up (like when she is avoiding getting picked up) I hear this congested noise.

Her weight has been holding steady at 2.47 pounds; 39.6 ounces. She has been eating and drinking well, and her output has been normal. She is still the same old self as far as attitude.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the exotic vet (yes I have gone to this vet before, so there is an established relationship). Of course the vet she is seeing is in surgery most of the day, so Joe-Joe will be staying there until the vet can see her. The vet will call with her findings, and treatment options.

I am suspecting a URI or heart related issue. Hopefully with JoeJoe being at the clinic, they will hear those noises (more opportunity for her not to make a liar out of me). Of course they will give her timothy hay and I will send her pellets and cozy sak while she is there.

Of course I am concerned and worried but hopefully I caught this early so I can nip this in the bud. If she is put on Baytril, I will get Critical Care and Bena-bac just in case.

I will keep everyone posted on how things go tomorrow.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:55 pm

Any time you think your pig might be sick, start weighing daily (sounds like you might be doing this already) and look for any other signs. Likely the vet will osculate your pig (listen with a stethoscope). If he/she can't hear something in the lungs or perhaps some kind of noises in the throat, your pig might be pronounced "okay". Even if your vet finds nothing definitive, I'd keep monitoring.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Ditto Lynx, but my hunch is that the vet will be able to hear a problem with the stethoscope if there is one, from what you describe.

I'd want an x-ray to check for heart enlargement, although she's a little young for that.

Your two suspicions are the prime candidates to me as well.

Does she snarf her food -- eat real, real fast?

I do agree with Lynx -- keep a close eye out even if they tell you they don't see anything overtly wrong.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Thanks Lynx; I certainly will weigh her daily. So far there are no other signs of illness, which has left me scratching my head. She is still running zoomies in her cage and popcorning.

I have something else to add and that is she does play with her water bottle, especially while waiting/wanting pellets or if she thinks she is getting something yummy from me. She has always done this, in fact I have had to bungie cord her water bottle as she has knocked the whole thing over onto the floor by pulling the spout.

However her playing with her bottle has not in the past resulted in this clicking noises or congested noises.

Part of me is hoping the vet finds something, and part of me is hoping she doesn't. However I have learned through GL that it is better to be on the safe side and take them to the vet, when suspicious that something might be going on then not and learn the hard way.

Talishan, yes she does eat her veggies fast which will result in a cough on occasion. Sometimes I hand feed her veggies just to get her to slow down and swallow what she has in her mouth, before taking another bite.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:31 am

Please keep us posted. Wishing for the best for her and for you.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:06 am

Dropped her off this morning. I swear she is going to make a liar out of me as there was no such noise this morning at all. She is still as feisty as ever, popcorning this morning and rumble strutting!

The vet tech will call me sometime around noonish to give me an update as to whether the vet saw JoeJoe and what the findings are, or if we have to wait a little longer for the vet to examine her. There was a bird in the back screaming his little lungs out, so I told the vet tech if JoeJoe seems stressed, that they are more then welcome to put her back in her carrier and into a quiet room. She said that they may in fact do just that.

I told the vet tech that I may request a set of x-rays just to be on the safe side, but will let her know when she calls.

So far the estimate is between $67.00-$110, which includes the exam, and the $14 for the use of a cage and sterilization fee. Even if nothing is found, she is worth it and I won't be so worried!

I have learned so much from just reading the medical threads on what to watch for, and it is better to take them to the vet when something is "off" then to wait it out until it becomes a bigger issue.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:24 am

Of course she will not make the noise at the vets. Of COURSE not.

;-)

Keep us posted. If nothing is found, you have peace of mind, at least in the immediate, and that's well worth it.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:43 pm

My JoeJoe didn't make a liar out of me! The vet heard her click, and said she was a little bit congested so she does have a start of a URI. She is keeping JoeJoe on a small dose for five days.

Here is what the bottle says: Baytril 22.5mg Give 0.25ml every 12 hours with or without food. I asked for Bena-bac but they didn't have any in yet. So I will get some probiotic tablets just in case the baytril causes stomach issues.

I also picked up some critical care, just in case she starts to drop weight. I will weigh daily of course. So far she really didn't eat when she was at the vet and in transit home, but she immediately went for her hay when I put her in her cage late this afternoon. Now she is working on her veggies.

The vet seems to think that she should tolerate the baytril just fine given the low dose. However I am to call her if any issues arise. She was given her first dose tonight, so we shall see how things go. I have a re-check appointment in 5 days, which is already set up for Tuesday afternoon.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:17 pm

You can figure out the dose rate here:

gl/calculate_dose.html

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:37 pm

I am confused Lynx. So I am giving her 0.25ml and the concentration is 22.5mg. So that equals 5.68mg/kg. My question is is the dose that I am giving her completely wrong?

Of course I am assuming the concentration is 22.5mg. I know the dose ranges for Baytril and it seems she is getting the right dose. This is the first time that I am giving medication to her, but the vet did mark on a syringe the dose I am supposed to give her.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:28 am

Okay, you said 22.5mg. This was not written as 22.5 mg/ml (sometimes it is per 5 ml or another amount). The weight of the pig has to be accounted for also to determine the dosage.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:38 am

Lynx, the label just says Baytril 22.5mg; Give 0.25ml every 12 hours for 5 days. I assume it is 22.5mg/ml concentration, but I can call to make sure if need be.

I weighed her yesterday morning before the appointment and she was 39.6 ounces; this morning weigh in results are 37.0 ounces, she lost 2.6 ounces since yesterday morning.

I don't know if it was because she was so stressed yesterday and did not touch her pellets while at the vet (she was there the whole day), however she did eat her dinner of lettuce, cherry tomato and pepper last night, and this morning has been munching on her pellets and hay.

She still seems like her chipper self. I did however give her some Critical Care, first offered it to her on a plate, which she tried, then walked away from, and then I fed her through a 1.0 ml syringe and I managed to get all of that amount down her.

I also ran out to Walgreens this morning and got some Acidophilus capsuls. I plan on giving her that in about an hour with some more critical care.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Sorry if I am updating this thread to often. I have to work this afternoon and I am hoping I can get out of work early (I work 2-10pm) tonight. In the meantime I am trying to get more Critical Care into her.

So far I managed, with much fight, an additional 6ml of critical care in her as well as the probiotic. I re-weighed her after and she has gained an ounce.

Her poops are normal in size and consistancy, and she has been eating her hay and begged for more pellets recently. I don't know how much Critical Care she needs if she is eating, but I do want her to maintain her weight.

The other concern I have is that it will be impossible for me to space out her Baytril every 12 hours, especially when I am working PM's tonight and then have to go back at 6am Saturday morning, which means I may end up spacing out the doses every 9 hours; I hope this would be ok.

This is my first time dealing with a sick pig, so please bear with me!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Baytril dosing ranges from 2.5 to 10 mg/kg every 12 hours. She weighs about a kilo, so if the Baytril is 22.5 mg/mL that's an appropriate dose.

One of Baytril's standard concentrations is exactly that -- but you can call the vet to confirm it.

Give the acidophilus about an hour to an hour and a half AFTER each AB dose. A little extra intermittently throughout the day won't hurt.

Edit: baytril can be given once a day (double the dose). There is some evidence it's even more effective that way.

On the CC: you're right. Go by weight.

I work odd hours too so I empathize.

Good luck and please let us know how she's doing.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks Talishan, I was really wracking my brains out trying to figure out if the dose I was giving her was correct. I am also glad I got when I was supposed to give the acidophilus correctly.

I will give her the 0.25 dose tonight when I get home, but might do what you suggested, just to make it easier on the both of us! So if I double it the dose should be 0.5ml one time a day.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Correct.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:53 pm

JoeJoe was supplemented last night with some Critical Care. However today her weight has rebounded, and at last weigh in, she is the same weight as this morning.

So the good news is she didn't need extra supplementation today or tonight. Early this morning while I was getting dressed, she ran around in the bathroom. I started to brush my teeth, and she let out a big wheek! This is her usual behavior, and all I need to do is reassure her that I am still in the bathroom.

What surprised me is that her wheek sounded so much clearer, that it had. Now she is wheeking as though I am going to kill her when I try to get her out of the cage; I think she is associating getting out of the cage with something unpleasant tasting being shoved in her mouth.

She is eating her pellets, hay and any veggies I give her and her poops look good; no issues there!

I have some peach, and sweet potato baby food that I may give her with her probiotic tonight as a treat. I am administering her Baytril once a day, so now she gets 0.5ml of Baytril. Another good thing is that she is taking her Baytril without fuss as she loves it!

I think she is feeling better; all uphill from here!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Go for the sweet potato instead of the peach. Weighing her daily will let you know if she is on the mend!

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Will do Lynx, although I let her taste the peach, and she stuck her noise up at it. I am not to sure if she would like the sweet potato, as she hates carrots, but if she sticks her noise up at that, it is no big deal.

I can't stress enough about weighing daily when the pig is ill and taking the pig to an exotic vet when there is something "not right"-go with your gut. If I hadn't trusted my gut, my pig would be much sicker than what she is now.

Don't worry Lynx, I will continue to weigh her daily (or more), and supplement if needed. For right now, she is maintaining her weight increase from yesterday (and this is before her veggies were given). So I think we are on the right track.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Great news. Keep us posted.

The fact that her wheek is noticeably clearer shows you did absolutely the right thing.

139 posts