JoeJoe's medical thread

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:12 pm

I will put Dr. Follett and her practice in the old thread tonight. I cannot stress enough of finding a good exotic vet before issues arise, they are worth their weight in gold!

JoeJoe continues to do well; I am to keep her quiet and in her special cage for 3 weeks. She does come out for lap time, which she really enjoys. The swelling has gone down and she is able to get to her special poops.

I have not had to give her CC or water since last night...on ward and upward from here!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:35 pm

One thing I thought of doing was adding the veterinarians to the Records forum. I am unsure if it would work. Supposedly, you can have multiple "child" forums. It would still be closed to the public because I can only monitor one board for spam and it would end up a mess.

If it could be done, it would have to be carefully structured.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:54 pm

I added Brook-Falls (Dr. Follett), to the old vet list, Lynx.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:44 am

Quick update for this morning: Today I go back to work, and I think JoeJoe shouldn't have problems. Today I only work a 4 hour shift.

This morning she was already up and looking to see if I was stirring in my bed. Once I started to get up, she wheeked for her pellets. She had her last dose of Metacam this morning.

I am thinking I can bed her on fleece today. And next week start to increase her recovery cage a little, and a little more the following week.

Thank you all for your advice, good vibes and thoughts. JoeJoe and I really appreciate it. I am amazed at how tough my little lion is, and how she has bounced back so fast; I wasn't expecting her to do this well, given what she has been through.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:17 am

JoeJoe is really scratching at her shaved areas. She will also scratch (with her teeth) both her incisions on her sides, but she has left the incision on her abdomen alone.

I can't touch any shaved area on her back without her immediately scratching. And if I touch her incisions or around them, she protests and starts scratching.

I have tried gently rubbing some coconut oil on her shaved back (avoiding the incisions), but every time I try she tries anything to get away from me. I don't know if the coconut oil irritates her, or if it is because she doesn't want to be touched.

The incision on the left side of her back has a small raised scab that she does pick at with her teeth when she itches around there.

I called the vet and left a message Dr. Follett; she was out sick today. So her associate called me back and left me a message that if she continues to scratch at her incisions, or I notice any swelling or redness, I should call and make an appointment.

My issue is the earliest I can get her in is on Tuesday as I work till Tuesday. I might be able to squeeze her in on Monday, if it is an early appointment.

So is there anything I can put on that would help soothe her skin on her shaved areas until I can get her seen? It seems like anything that rubs her shaved areas causes the itching. She doesn't appear to be in pain as she is eating, drinking, moving around and being her cheeky bossy self.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:29 am

I'd try a little cortisone cream. You can find it at any pharmacy. Apply sparingly with a q-tip, and rub it in well.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:16 am

Ditto bpatters. It's itching her crazy.

You can give children's Benadryl but I'd try bpatters' suggestion first. Use only a tinytiny amount and rub it in gently but well.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks bpatters and Talishan. I will try the cortisone cream. It is itching her crazy! If anything rubs her shaved areas she starts itching like crazy.

I made an appointment for Wednesday to see Dr. Follett. So far Dr. Follett has been projectile urinated on, and just on Wednesday, bit because she touched JoeJoe in a no-no zone. It seems like my little lion is getting comfortable with letting her opinions be known.

Other than the itching, JoeJoe continues to maintain her weight. I have noticed she has a lot more energy. I attribute that to before the surgery she was doing a lot of rumble-strutting, and with the hormone imbalance she must have been exhausted. Now she is awake more, and using her voice to demand attention because service here is horrible.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:38 am

I put the cream on using a Q-tip and rubbed it in well. I think she enjoyed it as she promptly laid down and stretched out. I also was able to rub the cream using my finger (after using the Q-tip) and she didn't protest or start scratching.

I am still keeping the appointment just to make sure those incisions are healing the way they should be.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:30 am

Good plan. Keep us posted.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:01 am

JoeJoe had her appointment today. Her itching has improved but I was concerned at how one of her incisions looked. The one incision on her side had a scab that was coming off, and it looked like the incision was splitting open.

So Dr. Follett looked at the incisions, and suggested a course of antibiotic to prevent infection.

JoeJoe had an issue of the mushy poops and this was after I had put on the cream; so I did not apply anymore cream just in case this was the cause of the digestive upset. I also held her veggies until her stools normalized.

This episode lasted a day, and things were back to normal. Her weight continues to be steady, and she is eating, and drinking well.

She is on SMZ TMP suspension 240mg/5ml. Dose is 0.5cc by mouth twice a day for 7-10 days. Recheck of incisions is on Wednesday of next week and if needed I have enough antibiotic for another round of 10 days after next week Wednesday.

All these follow up visits I have not had to pay a penny for; today I just had to pay for her antibiotic. I am wondering when they are going to start charging me for these follow up visits.

So it seems like JoeJoe is continuing to do well. I just can't believe how well JoeJoe has recovered from her spay; she is one tough pig!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:10 am

This is a top-class vet. Even if they do start charging you for rechecks, it shouldn't be much.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:05 pm

"This is a top-class vet."
I couldn't agree with you more Talishan. Good exotic practices are hard to find. I believe strongly that this practice is the best exotic practice in the state of Wisconsin; they just excel at everything they do.

This is the reason why JoeJoe did so well. They are worth every single penny, and the 45 minute drive. Even JoeJoe enjoys our visits as she somehow is convinced that the vet is not such a scary place to be.

Dr. Follett was surprised that JoeJoe was bothering her incisions on her side, and has never had a pig that did so, until she met JoeJoe. In fact they usually bother the tummy incision not the one on the sides.

I guess JoeJoe has to keep things interesting and keep Dr. Follett on her game.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:19 pm

JoeJoe had her follow up appointment today due to her one incision opening and was on a oral antibiotic for 7 days.

Dr. Follett was pleased that the antibiotic worked, and that the incisions are healing very well. She gave JoeJoe some gentle scritches, deemed her all healed from her surgery, and sent us on our way.

Dr. Follett recommended that she see JoeJoe for a wellness check every 2 years, unless JoeJoe becomes unwell or there are issues. However I won't wait that long, and will be taking her in every year for a wellness exam.

JoeJoe is now happily in her regular sized cage, making herself busy with bean production, cage remodeling, scent marking, hay diving, cashewing, and making sure her human caretaker is keeping up with her daily task of pampering.

I don't know but ever since I had to nurse JoeJoe back to health (although I didn't have to do much) she and I have seemed to have formed a tighter bond.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Glad to hear she got a bill of health!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:24 am

Gad to read that JoeJoe had a positive vet review and well on the road to recovery. Agree that nursing a sick pig does strengthen the bonds.

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Just letting everyone know that JoJo passed away sometime today..my guess was this morning as I found her on her tummy with her back legs stretched out, stiff and cold when I got home from work.

I had off of work yesterday and gave her a warm bath, and new bedding. She ate her veggies at dinner, and appeared to be fine. This morning she didn't beg for something to eat when I stirred in the bed like she usually does, nor did she have any interest in eating..she wanted to be left alone to sleep.

I should have stayed home with her but I didn't. I knew when I was driving home something happened and I dreaded walking in the room. I just hope she didn't have pain, nor struggle for breathe. I just feel horrible that I wasn't there with her, but she lived a good life, at least I hope I gave her that.

Rest well my JoJo Bean.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:33 pm

I am so sorry to hear you lost her, Crazy4me.

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks Lynx. The only thing that gives me comfort is that she looked so peaceful..like she passed in her sleep.

139 posts