JoeJoe's medical thread

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:11 pm

bpatters, that is a good idea and I remember reading it before, I just keep forgetting to do it. I think I'll pull some out of the freezer and start working with them on eating it. Thank you!

BTW, how long will it stay good in the freezer?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:42 pm

As far as Preparation H goes, Vicki of JPGPR (now closed) used it all the time at the recommendation of her vet and it worked pretty well. There are several formulations. The one I'd used on one of my guinea pigs so many years ago I think was the plain one.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:26 am

If you use it -- plain one ONLY. There is one with a bit of witch hazel in it that will sting an incision. I'd be inclined to go with the cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

Closures vary. Some vets use glue; some surgical staples, some stitches.

Get a hand mirror (also available at Walmart. :-) Use this to check her incision the first few days. You can just hold her over it rather than having to flip her upright, at a time when the less you handle her, the better.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:44 pm

I think I will use the coconut oil and skip the Preparation H cream. I plan on bedding her on white towels for the first couple of days, and will have her in a smaller C&C cage as the one she is now in is a 2x5.

Yes I got a hand mirror, and one side of the mirror is magnified. I picked up some white cotton super soft bath towels today.

It is a long ride to and from the vet, so I will be sure to put more fleece than I usually do so that she can burrow. She will be one spoiled pig!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:54 pm

Aren't they all after surgery? ;o) Good luck. I'll keep the two of you in my prayers.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:24 am

Yes they are, especially with an abdominal surgery to recover from :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:51 pm

As far as CC in the freezer goes -- we've kept it in there for years. It 's dry to start with, so it doesn't get 'freezer burn' or similar.

That said, the vitamin C in it likely loses potency after 9 or 10 months or so. If I use any CC that has been frozen that long or longer, I make sure they get additional C from greens or a supplement. The flavoring (anise or apple-banana smell) also seems to weaken a little, so adding some canned pumpkin, carrot baby food or similar can also help improve the taste.

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:44 pm

I decided today to give her a small amount of CC on a plate to see if she would eat it all. She did take a couple of mouth fulls, but must have gotten bored with it as she then stuck her front feet into the CC.

I will attempt to give her the banana flavored CC either tonight as a late night snack or tomorrow. I also noticed she is not eating her green pepper slices I had been giving her, so I ran to the store and got a red pepper.

To say the least JoeJoe was not impressed by the red pepper either, as she took a bite and promptly dropped it in my lap.

I am not to concerned as she does have these periods of being picky and she is currently eating her pellets, hay, cherry tomato, and red lettuce with gusto; her weight is and has been stable.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:01 am

I am getting slowly anxious and nervous for her surgery on Tuesday. I have been offering the CC on a plate and she eats some of it (I give her a tablespoon full). However I can tell she really isn't interested and is not to eager to eat it. I have a jar of carrot and sweet potato baby food just in case I need it. I also got a fresh bag of CC. Is adding Vit C something that I should be supplementing her with in addition to what is in the CC? All I am finding are the 500mg chewable orange flavored tabs of Vitamin C.

I have everything that I need as far as supplies. I am going to get her cage cleaned out with fresh bedding, for when I can put her back in said cage. I also will get the smaller cage ready with her old towels on the bottom with a nice soft towel on top.

Would a 2x3 CC work, or should it be smaller? I want her to be able to move around a bit, but not to big to run around in.

I will mention adding another pain medication for possible break through pain, and the motility agent to keep things moving along first thing when I drop her off in the morning. When I asked her about the use of pain medication after surgery she said she would send me home with pain medicine (I don't know what the pain medication is but it is only one), and all the pigs that have been spayed do wonderful on it.

But I will push, and explain my reasoning: I want to have another pain medication on hand to perhaps use for break through as I am very concerned if my pig is in pain, she won't want to eat and if she isn't eating on her own then I am going to have to force feed her, which means handling her and I imagine that has to be somewhat uncomfortable if not painful. I don't want her snowed, I just want her comfortable.

I also will push for the motility agent and explain my reasoning by just saying it will keep things moving along, which might help her interest in eating on her own.

I just hope she will give me something else for pain for JoeJoe just to use in case of break through. I really don't want to call the vet office, to pick up pain medication as it is at least a 45 minute drive each way. I don't want to leave a pig that is in pain for that long of a time, alone without some relief.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:23 am

I think I'd make the hospital cage even smaller, just big enough to keep her moving from food to water to bed. 2X3 size might be tempting if she's not feeling pain. I think I'd go down to a 1X2, or using zip ties, go even smaller to a 1.5 grid square, then in a few days or a week, expand it to the 1X2. IMO, only. Others more experienced might say your size is fine.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:25 am

I'd go smaller than a 2x3. I've confined mine in a 1x2 initially, then increased the size by a couple of inches a day after the first 2-3 days.

Are you also syringe feeding her so that she's familiar with that? If she doesn't eat, you WILL have to force feed her.

Also get some infant simethicone. Start with it if you feel her stomach getting tight at all, or if she doesn't start pooping after she starts eating.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:46 pm

Yes, I am syringe feeding her the CC via syringe; she is not to tolerant of having a syringe in her mouth and puts on quite a protest but I at least try once a day via syringe. As much as she protests, this is very good practice for me. I found that if I don't have a firm grip on the syringe, she will yank it from my grasp and toss it on the floor. She is such a drama queen!

I will go smaller than a 2x3. I will also get some infant simethicone to have on hand.

I have read and re-read the surgical page and will likely read again. Don't worry bpatters, I will force feed her if she is not eating, or not eating enough on her own; I am not afraid to do this, and honestly I am expecting to have to do this at some point.

I am hopeful for a smooth recovery, but I am prepared for the down word slide that happens when the anesthetic and initial pain medication wears off.

I am so thankful that my girlfriend and I are going out for lunch to pass the time, and so that I can focus on something else than anxiously waiting by the phone.

I am also so thankful for you all, giving me valuable advice and support. This is my first time dealing with a pig that will have major surgery and it is very comforting to be able to ask questions and support from others that have "been there, done that."