JoeJoe's medical thread

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:24 pm

So far so good, but no poop yet. She did urinate twice. She ate a fair amount of hay and a few pellets. I have to encourage her to eat, or at least remind her to continue as she stares off in space frequently.

Right now I gave her a cozy sack to rest in for a little while. I gave her some simethicone, and syringed some more pedialyte as she is not drinking out of her bottle yet. She is a little less groggy then a couple of hours ago, and she is moving around a little bit with the limited amount of space she has to move in. My plan is to gently lift her in her cozy sack onto my lap to give some CC and her pain medication; she might even enjoy some gentle stroking for a little bit before I return her to her cage.

I forgot to mention Dr. Follet did find a small ovarian cyst on her right ovary. I feel like a horrible mother for what she has endured, but at least it wasn't for nothing. I think the vet felt bad as she kept on apologizing for not doing a complete spay, but I told her we both didn't want her under for any longer than needed and that she shouldn't apologize.

The tech sent me a photo via text on my phone earlier today. It is JoeJoe resting her head on a stuffed teddy bear in her recovery cage, resting comfortably.
Last edited by Crazy4me on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:27 pm

You're right on several counts: She probably is quite stoned; and the crackling you hear is probably (IMO) from the anesthesia; and tomorrow will be the most difficult. She'll be recovered from the strong pain meds, and she'll either eat at least some on her, or you'll have to force feed her. My Floss did eat, did poop, but I had to feed her some CC because she wouldn't eat enough. I did need to use Reglan after a day or so. However, neither of those circumstances lasted long. Since JoeJoe appears to have come through the surgery fairly well, I'm hoping you find yourself in a similar situation. I think the next most important thing is to keep her towel clean and watch for seepage from the incision. I believe I kept notes along with pictures in Flossie's Medical Thread, if you're interested.

You're both in my prayers.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:19 am

Just an update: JoeJoe pooped a small pile, and as of now is eating some hay. She is not using her water bottle, even when I place it near her mouth.

I gave her the Metacam at 8 tonight, then gave her 7ml's of CC mixed with some pureed carrot which initially I offered in a syringe; she was interested, but did not like the syringe shoved in her mouth so I put the CC in a shallow bowl and she licked the bowl clean. I made the CC very moist, to get more fluid into her.

She finally laid down in my lap (with plenty of soft towels and fleece, and slept for a good hour. I just didn't have the heart to move her as this was the first time she appeared to be comfortable enough to form a cashew!

She did try to bend down to retrieve one of her special poops, but I don't think she actually retrieved it as she seemed to have trouble bending that low to get at it. So I will keep an eye out for those special poops and if I catch her in the act of trying to retrieve one, maybe I can help her.

So I will check on her throughout the night, she is right beside my bed. I will continue to make sure she is eating her hay, and will offer more CC on a plate throughout the night. I want to keep that digestive system moving. I also will be giving her water or pedialyte.

Thank you Granny for the prayers. So far for what she has been through she is doing well. I hope we keep that upwards trend, but I am not expecting it.

Her whole middle of her body was shaved, so she looks like a lion!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:52 am

Sounds like JoeJoe is doing well and so are you in terms of her post op care. Keeping her pain free and ensuring that she has food moving along are what I did after my sow's ovarian cyst surgery as well.

Continued best wishes on her speedy recovery.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:24 am

She did well throughout the night, she got up several times to eat hay, but no fluids. Her rasping has gotten worse, so I will call the vet first thing this morning to see if she wants me to bring her in.

There is another pile of poop, and she urinated a large amount. So as of now she is busy eating some hay, and I will offer some pellets soon.

This raspy, congested noise has got me worried as it seems to not have gotten better.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:49 am

This happened with one of our pigs that was under sedation for a long time. Their lungs secrete a tacky substance that can cause this.

Most animals are intubated for surgery, and so their lungs can be artificially inflated to reduce this effect. Guinea pigs are too small to intubate, and the inhalant anaesthesia mask goes over BOTH the nose and mouth, so there's no way to inflate the lungs separately from anaesthesia.

Our pig needed Baytril to clear this. Use probiotics with Baytril. It's a lousy time for her to need it, but I'm guessing she'll need it.

You made the right decision for JoeJoe. If she'd been under any longer, this would only have been worse.

If you take her in, get them to give her subcutaneous fluids.

Keep us posted.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:41 pm

I did take her to the vet. Dr Follet listened to JoeJoe's lungs which sounded as clear as a bell. JoeJoe has no fever, or is not in any respiratory distress or discomfort. Basically everything checked out fine.

JoeJoe seems to be back to her normal self, more active and vocal. She has groomed herself a couple of times today. She is bright eyed and bushy tailed....literally bushy tailed.

Incisions look good with no sign of infection.

So the plan is to keep with what I am doing. No antibiotic as this time. Dr. Follet does not want to mess with her digestive system yet. If it gets worse, or doesn't get better than she said to call the office and she will examine her again and prescribe Baytril.

Sorry Talishan I did not see your post before the appointment, so I did not ask about Subcutaneous fluids. However she decided it would be a good idea to open the flood gates and pee on the exam table. Her poops look a lot more like normal, and there seems to be an increase of amount of poop at one time.

JoeJoe seems to like the tech that was taking care of her yesterday, giving her kisses on the tech's nose and hand when she saw her this morning.

Also JoeJoe's swelling has gone down considerably. Now she is working on eating some pellets in between resting. I have been offering her various things (a piece of lettuce leaf, CC mixed with carrot puree and pellets) every 4 hours.

So far I have been able to get 16ml+ of CC into her which she eats off of the plate. I really think if I can keep her on this path of eating willingly, then we hopefully will be moving forward. She is wheeking whenever I open the refrigerator, and passing some gas on occasion. For what JoeJoe has been through yesterday, she is one tough little girl! Her weight is stable currently.

I cannot say enough about this vet and her practice; they are the best. She and her staff put JoeJoe first yesterday, making sure she felt loved, and comfortable at all times. When I called the office at 7:30 this morning I had to leave a message as they weren't open till 8. I kid you not, at 8 (not a minute later) I got a call back stating Dr. Follet would like to see her in the office this morning. She did not even charge me for the exam this morning.

Dr. Follet and her crew are worth driving the 45 minutes for vet care. She is good about listening to your concerns, and addressing them in a respectful, caring way. She has kept JoeJoe very comfortable and her pain has been kept in check, all the while balancing her comfort and keeping her eating on her own; which can be a feat in itself.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Quick update:she is finally drinking out of her water bottle! Another small step in the right direction!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:17 pm

Awesome. Just awesome. :-)

If the breathing harshness has cleared by now, it was probably from the anaesthesia and should not return.

If this vet isn't on our list, please give Lynx the info to have them added. Dr. Follet and her practice sound just great.

http://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/index.php/Veterinarians_Wisconsin

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:13 pm

A good vet is valuable indeed!

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Yes, Lynx..worth the price too!! JoeJoe is wanting her favorite fruit, a small strawberry so I must get going before she wheeks any louder!

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:05 pm

I'm glad JoeJoe is on the mend.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:24 pm

Me too CCC. The last couple of days I haven't been sleeping well at all. Now I think I can finally get a good nights rest.

Lynx, how do I add Dr. Follett and her clinic? There are no veterinary practices under Wisconsin.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:43 pm

I don't know :-(

Some time back I disabled the ability to add new pages (removed some code) because it was getting so badly spammed (I spent a whole afternoon tracking down new pages that were spam and deleting them). If the page isn't there, I don't know how to make a new page. I wish I did.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:47 am

Oh crud! Well I highly recommend Dr. Follett and her crew. I told them I would be bringing some donuts over for them to enjoy as I am sure there are days they are so busy and sitting down to eat is not going to happen.
I will also write a thank-you letter for their wonderful care. I think with Dr. Follett, she believes less is often more. For example when JoeJoe was making those congested type noises, we could have given her Baytril as a preventative, but with no fever and the lungs sounded clear and the fact that in just one day she made great progress in her recovery, why give the Baytril; it would lead to digestive problems anyway.

Dr. Follett thinks these situations through. I knew that if JoeJoe was to become uncomfortable, Dr Follett would have given me something else for break-through. She didn't want to mess with JoeJoe's digestive system any further than what it had already been messed with. Hence the reason why I wasn't sent home with an antibiotic.

JoeJoe is doing well, eating and drinking and being her cheeky demanding self. I had overslept as her pain medication was to be given at 8 this morning, but I managed to sleep until 8:30! I nearly panicked but JoeJoe was clearly not in any discomfort what so ever.

JoeJoe is doing a bit more scratching then usual. Especially scratching with her teeth on both sides of her sides where the incisions are. I checked them both and they look fine. She is not bothered by her abdominal incision at this time.

I tried to put some coconut oil on her and when I got the jar out, put some on my hand and began to touch her, she freaked. She did not want any part of having that oil on her. If I would have continued, I would have been chasing her all around my lap, which I didn't want to do.

She wasn't in pain as she had her pain medication an hour prior. I think when I opened the jar, maybe the sound freaked her out. She did settle down quickly with reassurance from me.

Anyway right now she is busy moving a hay pile around the cage to find her favorite pieces.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:46 am

I'm simply thrilled. For both of you, LOL!

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:10 pm

I forgot to mention that her congested breathing has stopped completely. I don't know if this had anything to do with her starting to drink from her water bottle, but once she started drinking on her own, the congested breathing silenced!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:58 pm

Crazy4me, I think there's a sticky for vet recommendations you could add your vet to.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks Lynx, I will have to figure out how I can add my vet; the link Talishan gave me shows the Wisconsin vet recommendations but has none on there. How would I go about adding my recommendation? I tried the edit button but it stated I don't have permission to edit the page.

I think the old vet sticky page has my recommendation of Dr Follett and her practice, if I am not mistaken.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:47 pm

The one I linked to was a wiki. If the old vet recommendations sticky has Dr. Follett, that's good.

If additional fluid intake took care of the raspiness and JoeJoe's lungs were clear on stethoscope, it will have been residual tackiness/irritation from the anaesthesia. Very wise of Dr. Follett to hold off on the Baytril. Our pig that needed it was audibly harsh by stethoscope, so that was a different circumstance.

Carry on and keep us posted.

Edit: I can't find Dr. Follett's name with a quick search, so I'd encourage you to put her information on the 'old' thread.

Lynx, is there any chance the veterinary wiki could be fixed, or replaced? It's a very, very, VERY valuable resource.

139 posts