JoeJoe's medical thread

Post Reply
User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:23 pm


Sometimes that sort of behavior is hormonally driven rather than just due to ovarian cysts. Hair loss may not show up for a while.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:35 am


Short answer, yes. Ditto Lynx.

Palpation first, then an ultrasound for cysts. But if her weight is steady, her behavior is not too far out of line and you're not seeing a lot of physical symptoms of ovarian cysts, don't be too alarmed just yet.

Cysts manifest on a continuum -- that is, there's a wide range of size of cyst or cysts, how much trouble it causes the pig, how much it affects the pig and how many overt symptoms you'll see (or not see), like crusty nipples, hairloss etc.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:12 pm


So another words at this point getting her to a vet is not urgent; I could perhaps wait a week or two to get her in. Of course if other symptoms present themselves than it becomes more urgent to get her to the vet.

If there is a ovarian cyst I would like to have the surgery soon given her age and ability to recover from such an extensive spay, than have this happen when she is older.


I shall wait and see if any other symptoms come about, if not ring the vet in a week or two for an appointment (this actually works out better given my work schedule).

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:25 pm


Right - not urgent yet. All my Flossie did was rumblestrut all the time; pulled her hair out on her sides; extremely grumpy with her cagemate (neutered boar), constantly trying to mount him, and no longer liked even me. I never noticed crusty nipples and she was pretty young to have ovarian cysts. I couldn't feel any lumps, the vet thought she could feel a small one on one side. Surgeon also thought he could feel a small one there. (Surgery showed a couple of small ones on the opposite side only!) So yeah, it's a case of looking at the big picture, but since Joe-Joe is much older, I'd probably not take too long before making the decision.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:40 pm


Thanks everyone! I won't wait long at all, as I am concerned and I want her to be able to make her recovery as uneventful and comfortable as possible if surgery is required.

Right now she is laying down right next to a heaping pile of hay. sleeping off her hay coma.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:04 pm


Aren't they adorable when they do that??

Best of luck with her. You'll both be in my prayers.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:18 pm


And regarding the hormonally driven behaviors, a spay generally takes care of this (and protects the female from developing reproductive problems later in life).

Crazy4me

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:54 pm


GrannyJu, yes they are so cute when they do that. I just don't understand why people think that these little guys/gals aren't adorable.

Thanks Lynx! I will keep you all posted and will probably ask some questions later if she would need a spay (although I am really leaning towards a spay), as far as pain medication and anything else I should be doing or asking the vet for.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:37 am


Do read over this page:
gl/surgery.html

No surgery is without risk but if you have an otherwise healthy guinea pig and a skilled vet, your chances of a successful surgery are pretty good.

Crazy4me

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:23 am


Thanks for the link Lynx. My vet doesn't have an ultrasound machine, so that means I would have to make another appointment and have another vet do the ultrasound.

I asked what the ultrasound would cost (ball-park figure) and the receptionist said at least $100. I am not saying I am not going to do the ultrasound, but it sounds like I would be spending at least $100 (and I am sure more) for the spay and any postoperative medications and vet visit.

Granted this surgery may not be necessary, but I feel it would eliminate other reproductive issues, so therefore I may just tell her to proceed with a spay with no ultrasound.

The receptionist told me that they do have digital x-rays, and that may be an option if the vet feels the need for them.

I have an appointment on Wednesday, and I will be discussing with her about possible spay.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:49 pm


I went ahead with Flossie's spay without the ultrasound. The 2 vets were pretty sure they felt at least one cyst, but no tests were done to confirm it. An ultrasound wasn't even mentioned! I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think cysts will show up on x-ray.

Either way, good luck. Give her a smooch for me.

User avatar
countrygirl49
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:41 pm


My Panda is 5 1/2 years old and she was rumblestrutting non-stop for several months. She would also act funny and rumbly when I would pet her. Took her to the vet who could feel cysts (didn't do an ultrasound) and so I just had her spayed on 1/5. She is recovering well... I just wish I hadn't been so selfish (for fear of losing her due to surgery) and brought her in sooner. Her cyst(s) were huge! And she is like a totally different pig now!

Good luck with yours!

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:56 pm


I am rather anxious and it is only an office visit. But I did write down those medications to make sure she knows that in the event of a spay, I want those meds.

My big concern now is looking at my work schedule: I have only two days off during the week, and when I do work it is at least for 6 hours; I don't have someone that I can count on to help with feeding or medicating JoeJoe.

I could call in one day, but I don't want to really piss off my Department manager as she is on my butt already (see whine thread).

I don't have the option of leaving work on my hour lunch break (this is permitted) as my commute one way is 45 minutes long.

I guess I will have to just wing it, and do the best I can to get as much food (CC) in her as I can when I am not working, and not let her pain snowball by keeping up with the pain medication.

If you guys have any suggestions please let me know.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:20 pm


I can't remember, if I ever knew ;o), where you work, but is there any chance you could take her to work with you? Not completely unheard of, but... If you work in retail, I know that option would be impossible.

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:56 pm


Yep, I work in retail :(

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:29 pm


Just got back from the vet. The vet palpated her and could not feel anything as her bladder was so full. She did really insist on getting an ultrasound before doing a spay. So she recommended I go to UW Madison Vet hospital for the ultrasound and spay. I am waiting for a call back from them as I had a question as to how much an ultrasound and spay was going to cost.

But then again, I don't know if I should call Brook-falls animal hospital and exotic care, to see what they would charge. It may be a little closer travel time wise then UW Madison.

The reason why my vet is pushing the ultrasound is that she would hate to open her up and find something more serious, and have to close her up. She just to me didn't feel confident doing a spay is what my impression was, so I am not going to force her to do it. She is however very good at routine things like URI's and exams, and she is so gentle with handling JoeJoe.

And UW Vet hospital is a teaching hospital and may give me a little bit of a discount.

So many decisions!

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:46 pm


Just got a call from UW; they want to charge me $100 for an exam, $200 for the ultrasound and between $600-$800 for the spay and that does not include any take home medication.

However my vet that I just saw, if she would do the spay would charge me $450.

I think UW is just to steep for my wallet. I called the vet that I just saw, and asked if she would be confident enough in her surgical skills to to the spay without an ultrasound and said she would be happy and confident to do the spay.

So what is your thoughts on this?

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:43 pm


I decided to call Brook-Falls hospital and Exotic care; the receptionist was so nice and helpful. She told me that Dr. Fossett was going to get in touch with me.

Dr Fossett left me a message, stating that there are options and I don't necessary need to have an ultrasound. She would be willing to look over JoeJoe's notes from her visit with the vet that I saw, and tell me what options are available and that she is more than willing to work with me.

She said ovarian cysts are very common, and that sometimes instead of doing a spay, they take out just the ovaries. I do trust her opinion and surgical ability, and believe she is more than qualified to do the spay, and I know the staff will be observant of my pigs needs.

My question is if the ovaries are taken out, is she still at risk for having reproductive issues, or does taking only the ovaries out eliminate those issues?

I am sorry if I am being a pest, it is just I want to know all my options in order to give her a quality and illness free life, without burning a huge hole in my pocket book. I also don't know what prices are reasonable or not. My head is spinning..help!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:02 am


No, taking out only the ovaries will NOT prevent future reproductive problems. To do that, the ovaries AND uterus would have to go.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:27 am


Ditto GrannyJu1. I'd go for the complete spay.

Post Reply
139 posts