Panda's hind legs weak after pregnancy

JX4

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:46 am

Vet says only one doctor there today who knows guinea pigs and she doesn't have an opening till this afternoon. They say I can bring her in now and drop her off and they might be able to squeeze her in.

But of course she'd be sitting in a cage till whenever. If I keep her home I can at least be jigging or massaging her a bit on and off. Which would be better?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:48 am

That is rotten! Can you explain this is an emergency?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:52 am

That was why I suggested going instead of calling. If you're sitting there with the pig, they're more likely to work you in.

But if your choices are keeping her home and leaving her, I'd keep her home but definitely get the simethicone. Also, if she's not eating, handfeed her small amounts frequently, like 3-5 cc. You want food in her stomach, but don't want to overload her.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:03 am

I found the instructions and pictures from Bugs Mom (posted by another person - that's why I couldn't find them earlier):

"From Bug's Mom: (This info was what the Vet showed to help Bug with her Gas issues.)

"The massage is done between the rib cage and the hips with a firm but gentle squeeze. The further away from the backbone you are the less likely to damage any organs within the given parameters."

JX4

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Wow, thanks for the pics and explanation!

Sorry just now getting back to you all here, but here's the scoop so far:

I decided to just take Panda in to the vet, hoping they'd get to see her sooner that way. I got to the vet around 8-ish this morning and they put me right in an exam room and said an 8:30 appointment had canceled just as I came in! Yea! (I know it may sound silly to some that my girls and I prayed for Panda and for God to help her get into the vet quickly, but we do that sort of thing.)

The Dr examined Panda about 8:15 and told us she was "critical" and what they needed to do. I left her there with them, and I just got off the phone with the vet now (1:15 pm).

They took an X-ray and there is no hairball or anything like that in her stomach, though the stomach is twice the size it is supposed to be. The doc said "GI Stasis" is what they are calling it and they don't know why it happens sometimes. They gave her an injection of Reglan first thing and fluids under the skin. Then they've been feeding her Critical Care every couple of hours (I think that's the interval they said). She wouldn't take it at first (just keeping it in her cheeks), but then began to swallow it later. Now she's taking it OK. They also gave her an injection of a pain med and an antibiotic (sulfa tri- something or other).

Just before they called me at 1:15 they said they saw a couple of poops come out and though she wouldn't eat hay before, she just took her first piece of hay as they were on the phone with me (Panda loves hay so much that she usually camps out in the hay loft most of the time and burrows through it like the stereotypical rich guy wallows in piles of money in cartoons, so the fact that she is just now touching hay means she really was pretty bad before.) All our piggies love their hay, but Panda loves it more than the rest of them do!

Anyhow, they say they want to keep Panda till this evening so they can keep feeding her Critical Care and watching her. She is still huddling in the corner, which concerns them, but she is starting to perk up a bit whenever they take her out to feed her the Critical Care. I am to pick her up at 5:30 tonight because they don't have someone there overnight. They will give me a written list of all her meds then, and want us to keep feeding Critical Care. They said they will add Meloxodil as an oral med for us when they send her home to the other meds.

They said she is improving but is "not out of the woods yet."

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Do read all the associated posts on that bloat emergency link. Pain medication is important. Relieving the bloat is paramount. I am hoping for the best.

JX4

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Panda is home, but she is obviously still not well. Trying to get Critical Care down her is a battle. She will nibble on hay but not eat much. Her back is sore from all the injections she got today.

I saw her X-rays and her stomach is more than twice the size it should be. No twisted intestines, though. Only putting out one poop here another there hours apart. She hasn't pooped since we brought her home at 5:30.

They gave us a baggie full of Critical Care powder and said to give her 5 ml. every couple of hours unless she is eating pellets on her own.

Question: Do we measure the 5 ml. of the straight powder and then add water, or do we mix water in a pasty slurry and then measure out 5 ml. of that?

Thanks for all the help

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Have they reduced the gas? What instructions have they given you? Did you get a vibrator pad or anything (vibrating toothbrush)? Do you have simethicone? Did she poop during the day?

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

JX4

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 pm

We've seen two poop pellets since 5:30 pm. today. The gas is still there. I've been trying to massage, but she doesn't like it. She spits out the food pellets we try to give her, and just nibbles on the hay but hasn't eaten more than about an inch long piece of hay.

I still don't know how much critical care to give her. the vet instructions say 5 ml every two hours (though they said we don't have to do it all night). But I don't know how to measure that. Is that 5 ml of dry CC powder? Or 5 ml of water with as much dry powder as it takes to make a slurry?

We measured 5 ml. of powder then mixed it wit water, but that made about 50 ml of mix and she would not take even half that much so far.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:55 am

How severe is the gas? If she is severely bloated, she will be in extreme pain. They did not find a way to reduce it and control it before handing her back to you?

I believe the directions here talk about teaspoons (and also by weight):

gl/handfeeding.html

Some people have put their guinea pigs on top of a vibrating washing machine.

Continue to weigh a couple times a day. You have some simethicone? Not rereading, but is she on any motility drugs or pain medication?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 am

I think it means 5 ml of the slurry after it's been mixed. It's not an exact science to mix it, and it thickens up as it sits. So if you've had to put extra water in it to get it to go through the syringe, you might give 6-7 ml. The thing you want to avoid is overloading her stomach with it if she's not pooping, so don't give 15-20 ml at a time, which is what you might give to a pig that's still pooping.

JX4

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Update:
I don't know what simethicone is. The meds the vet gave us are as follows:
Reglan Syrup, 0.75 ml. twice a day (they had given her two Reglan injections while at the vet all day yesterday), but today is the first day she has had the syrup.
Sulfa/Trimethoprim Suspension, 0.8 ml twice a day for two weeks
Meloxidyl give 0.25 ml daily
Critical Care powder to give 25 ml. per day spread throughout the day

The vet I saw yesterday was not our regular guinea pig vet, though she does do guinea pigs. I'll call her Dr. R. Our regular vet Dr. O. was not there yesterday, but he called me today to see how Panda was doing. Dr. R. was not there today, but Dr. O. says he read her notes as to what all she (the other vet) did.

Dr. R. had said Panda was "critical" yesterday morning when I took her in. Dr. O. says from her notes and my description of her today he would classify her as "guarded," meaning she could still pass away, but has improved from yesterday.

Panda has had about 5 sticky, elongated poops since last night. I've been massaging her, and I got her to belch several spurts of gas out of her mouth last night around 1 am. Her belly is still distended but not quite as hard or tight as yesterday. She has eaten a piece of hay and 10 ml. of Critical Care today so far.

She is sitting on a fleece pad next to me now as I write this, with one of her piggy friends next to her. We've been bringing one or two pigs that she is friendliest with to sit with her off and on as moral support. We have to keep her separated for the most part, though, since we have to monitor how much she poops and eats on her own. Since our normal arrangement is 7 piggies in one huge cage, that wouldn't be possible with her mixed in with them.

When Dr. O called me I asked about proper reconstitution of the CC powder, and he told me it was one part powder to three parts water. Once it is reconstituted is when I am to measure out the 5 ml. to feed her at a sitting. So I do have an official answer to that question now.

I asked about trying to suck air out of her stomach and Dr. O says doing that with a syringe "is not without risk and is only as a last resort." Since her mouth is too small to put a tube down her throat, massaging and Reglan are the safest routes to helping her get the gas out.

I went to three different stores today looking for vibrator pads - and called several others -- and everyone is saying they don't have anything like that. To a store they say, "come back at Christmas, because that's the only time we carry them." Well, that helps so much (frowny face).

I ordered one off of Amazon but it won't get here till Monday evening.

Panda is a real trooper, but I already knew that from her saga with the broken femurs, etc. that you can see from the first 8 pages of this thread. She doesn't like being fed the CC nor does she particularly care for the massaging, but she seems to understand I am doing this stuff to help her. She is very cuddly and tries to burrow herself into my neck, and she purrs almost every time I pet her. She likes having piggy company too -- as long as they don't get in her face too much. Twilight got nipped when he tried to lick the CC off her chin (she dribbles some), LOL. Right now we have Snuggles snuggled up against her side and both piggies are next to me now.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:12 pm

An electric toothbrush can be used as a vibrator in case of an emergency. Ideally you'd like to have one a bit stronger, but it's better than nothing.

You might have more luck looking for vibrating sex toys rather than a vibrating pad.

Simethicone is also known as infant gas relief drops.

JX4

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:17 pm

I think I could find some infant gas relief drops, as I've seen them at the store before. How much should I give her?

Not sure I could handle buying a vibrating sex toy. My embarrassment would cause me to drop and die right on the spot, LOL! We don't have electric toothbrushes, but I'll see what I can do. Right now, I'm massaging her a lot just with my hands.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Getting her to walk around can aid in passing gas. If having other guinea pigs around encourages her to move, that is a very good thing (even if they are not around all the time).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:39 pm

You give about 1/4 to 1/2 of the infant dose of simethicone.

I'd just block off one end of the cage and let her be as close to the others as possible. It'll save trauma when you go to put them back together.

JX4

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Panda is feeling a little better. She actively tried to avoid me when she knew I was going to give her the last round of CC, not exactly running, but hopping off my lap onto the fleece and walking quickly. She also whacked me with her teeth (didn't bite down at all, just hit me with her mouth if that makes sense) to let me know she wanted me to stop massaging her stomach this afternoon.

She has eaten several strands of hay, but still won't touch the food pellets, so she still needs the CC. Several more wet, sticky poo pellets are around, maybe 10 or so that have come out during the course of the day today.

She peed for the first time (that I have noticed, anyway) since yesterday as well. I take that to mean her body thinks she has enough hydration to spare urine.

Her belly is still distended, but not as much as even this morning. Until she is eating and pooping normally again I won't regard her as OK, but she is definitely improving!

JX4

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Another bright note -- I used a Kleenex to wipe off extra CC that had dribbled all over her face area. She acted like a toddler does in moving her head all over the place to avoid the Kleenex. Then she bit off a piece of the Kleenex and ATE it!

Well, I quipped to my husband, I suppose that will add a bit of fiber. . . .

And Dr. R. yesterday said that her lungs were completely clear (both from listening with stethoscope and seeing the X-ray).

When viewing the X-ray yesterday, I also took the opportunity to ask how her hip area looked, since it had been captured on the film. Looks like there's a good bit of scar tissue holding her right hip in the right place, with the left hip a bit askew. The end of the left femur is just a hair forward of where it should be, but there is enough scar tissue there too to help hold it in place. When she's well, you'd never know she had no hip sockets because she runs and even jumps like normal. The only strange part is when she sprawls lying down to completely relax - then she has a kind of weird position.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks for the updates. I can't wait for you both to put this behind you!!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:30 pm

I'll be praying for you both.

198 posts