Urinalysis increased bilirubin / protein

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:39 pm

If you could get a video of him (big if, but still), it'd be real helpful.

daveandtiff

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:01 am

Talishan, I've actually done that with our adopted boy who was showing certain behaviour that I needed our vet to see, when he wasn't doing it in the office. For our boy who grunts randomly, it is so very random, and he spends most of his time in his igloo to be able to get a clear action on video (he feels less bothered by the other boys by camping out under his igloo as the other two can get a bit bossy). I was thinking of setting up a situation with tunnels, additional canopies and other hidey spots to see if he would spend less time under his igloo. Maybe then I could be able to get a clearer view of what he is doing when he grunts (if I can get there in time to see what he is doing).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 pm

It's worth a try. He'll enjoy it very much if nothing else.

We have a lot of hides for ours (all the time) and they enjoy it.

daveandtiff

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:06 pm

It just occurred to me, I had used Novalsan a week ago to clean the floor that our boys use. I don't usually use this solution, typically something quite mild, but I had done this while the boys were outside enjoying fresh air and waited for the floor to dry before bringing them in. Also, as extra precaution, I had lined the floor with newspaper and then on top of these baby blankets, so that they would not touch the floor. I don't think that this could be enough to cause changes to urine or liver function (and the one who visits that side of the room the least is our boy who we are concerned about, the others spend alot of time there and act fine). Just wanted to mention still.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. Nolvasan is a veterinary disinfectant/antimicrobial (it can even be used in their mouths in very small quantities). It's good you thought of it and to mention it, though.

daveandtiff

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks, Talishan. I know we were given Novalsan from one of our vets to use topically (diluted 20 parts water, 1 part Novalsan). Had bought some later, but then when I received bottle it stated 'for animal premises use only'. So are there two types of Novalsan?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:00 pm

No. There's Nolvasan (for veterinary use) and Hibiclens (for human use). The active ingredient is the same, chlorhexidine gluconate, albeit in different concentrations.

You can dilute Nolvasan to cleanse a wound; just dilute it, such as 20 parts water to 1 part Nolvasan. Use full-strength to clean the floor.

Note: it appears that the veterinary formulation has changed to chlorhexidine diacetate. Same idea, though.

daveandtiff

Post   » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:21 pm

Okay, good knowledge.

You know, in the past we had two situations - a mammary tumour with area of tissue that had opened, and a ruptured cyst - we needed to keep surrounding tissue clean. We did use Novalsan at one point years back when given by vet, but since we have used diluted hibiclens and/or diluted betadine. Had read hibiclens has a bit longer lasting power as an antimicrobial than betadine, but that when interchanging the two there is less chance of resistant strains of bacteria. We never had infection for our boy with the open mammary tumour (was over a few months as was hard for tissue to heal while he was laying on it, and because he was so much older), and the cyst for our other boy was also maintained and healed nicely with cleansings. Otherwise, tend to use salt water soaks as well for cleansing and wound or tissue healing.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:55 pm

That's a good approach. You can also use sterile saline (old-fashioned contact lens solution).

Chlorhex is a powerful topical antimicrobial but can be very drying. We'll use a diluted chlorhex solution, or diluted Betadine, interspersed occasionally while primarily using sterile saline.

daveandtiff

Post   » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:57 am

Have two large bottles of saline solution for this purpose, Talishan :) Also, sea salt handy.

He's been acting normal, monitoring for blood and sludge alternating white and dark blankets throughout the day, only about a cm sludge noticed once. Have not heard much grunting (I believe one very undertoned grunt yesterday and he was just eating when I peeked), but it is very random anyway. Going to run some urines on all of them when we get the strips.

We are using Oxbow Cavy Cuisine and KMS Hayloft TC pellets primarily, with a couple of natural treat kibbles that I use sparingly and primarily for the other boys when I do, though I have not refreshed kibbles as frequently in order to promote the hay consumption. I drop hay in 15-20 times a day anyway, so is never an issue, just they are probably relying on it a bit more. Also, I give them 3/4 tsp of crit care twice a day as a treat (notice it's lower in calcium than the kibbles). What kibble(s) has the absolute lowest calcium, but still the necessary nutrients?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:36 pm

In the US, probably Kleenmama's, but I will defer to others that have done more research.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:16 pm

KMS Hayloft has the lowest calcium, and also uses something other than calcium carbonate for the calcium source. Mine are pelletless, but KMS are the only ones I'd consider using.