Peekaboo's Medical

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:53 pm

It sounds like you have a lot of experience, mmeadow ;-)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:59 am

Sticking yourself with an 18g needle causes blood everywhere, and lots of it. This is the voice of experience. :-)

Get the vet to sell you the following:

A handful of 18g sharps;
A handful of 35cc syringes with standard slip-tip;
A handful each of 23g and 25g butterflies (a/k/a "scalp vein") set. A really tough pig can take a 21g, but those are rare (we've only had one).

Put the 18g on the syringe. Draw the fluids from the bag with it. Then remove it and discard it safely (use the cap thingy it comes in).

Then put one of the butterflies on the syringe and warm the assembly in a hot-water bath for a few minutes. Expel the air from the line, and squirt a little on your wrist to check temp. Then stick the pig.

The lower the gauge number, the larger the needle. The larger the needle, the faster the fluid flows, but the more it hurts the pig. For each pig there's usually a best compromise; you just have to find it.

Good luck!!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:09 am

I don't have all of that stuff yet, so I'm still using the syringe to push the fluids in. Is there some way to make the syringe move easier? I don't have a lot of hand strength and it's very difficult to push the plunger in. My husband is willing to hold Peek for me, but that's as far as he can go. He jumps and gasps when Peek jumps and whimpers. He's very squeamish when it comes to needles.

Also, once the needle is in the "tent", can I let go of the "tent" and use both hands to push the plunger? Or should I use the other hand to do something else after letting go of the "tent"?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:31 am

Yes, you can let go of the tent when the needle is in. And yes, they're hard to push. I wouldn't push with both hands unless someone is there to hold her still to keep her from running away while you're pushing it in.

Can you get the needle inserted and then trade places with him? You hold the pig and he pushes the plunger?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:44 am

He does hold Peek for me, that's why he jumps when Peek does. I'll see if he's willing to trade places once I have the needle in place. Thanks, bpatters.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Sub-q fluids aren't going to work out, I don't think. Peek starts trembling and shaking as soon as I take him out of the cage, and cries before I've even inserted the needle. I'm going to try to administer 30 ml water or pedialyte orally a day. If this doesn't work, I guess I just wait for nature to take it's course.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:07 pm

I think syringing fluids will be effective. You are doing your best. Now it's Peek's turn to get better.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:46 am

You're making the right decision. This is exactly what has happened with those of ours that fell into the "does more damage than good" category.

I've had more than one vet tell me oral fluids are processed better/healthier/more beneficial to the pig anyway (which makes sense since oral uptake is what nature intended). Do the best you can. Do try unflavored Pedialyte if you can; many of them love it.

If Peek likes it, you don't have to stop at 30. The more he wants, the better.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:03 am

That's what I'm using. If I flavor it, he takes more. Not happily, but he takes it, which is what's important. It's less stressful than the needle. By the third day, he was crying even before I put the needle in, as soon as I touched his back. Poor little guy. I'll do my best by him, the rest is up to him. He'll let me know when it's time. Losing another pet so soon (he'll be the 4th this year) may cause me to have a breakdown, though.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Peek is taking 30-50 ml of Pedialyte a day by syringe. And I have to fend off the other 2 while he's willing to drink. I have 3 questions though:

1) Should I be feeding him only Pedialyte or should I mix some plain water in occasionally?

2) It seems like I read somewhere that Pedialyte could be frozen. True?

3) Is it OK to feed some of the Pedialyte to the other 2 pigs who are (so far) healthy?

Thanks for all your help. So far Peek is doing well with just a slight lessening of shine of his coat. He's still happy and cheerful, eating all of his veggies and going back for any crumbs left by the wayside. I don't see him at the water bottle as often but was told by the vet's office that this is common. He does still drink from it or the bowl occasionally.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:15 pm

I seem to remember some people freezing Pedialyte too. I think in cubes, and then you can use them for a longer time (in a refrigerator, less shelf life). I think the other guinea pigs will be fine with some. You might dilute theirs.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks, Lynx. I really appreciate your response.