Peekaboo's Medical

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks, everyone! I truly appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I'll put Peekaboo back on his daily dose, and worry about Fuzz next time she seems grouchy/in pain. He also gets the joint tabs. And digestive tabs. And extra Vit C. ;o)

As for the leg/foot/shoulder - it's always the left front. It will only last a day or two (knock on wood!) then goes away for a year or so. I can't remember where the vet said she/they saw the arthritis - all I can recall is something about "leg". If any of you know what arthritis looks like on x-rays, there are 2 sets posted on this thread.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 57&start=0

and

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... c&start=40

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:56 pm

I wonder what might make the spring different. I was thinking about air pressure changes but they change all the time, depending on the weather.

Hoping the pain meds help.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:29 am

It did. He seemed fine last night after the second small dose, not limping, and putting weight on the foot again. I'll watch him closely later this morning and see how he's doing just before what will once again become his daily dose.

On the every other day dosage, he was actually running and playing again earlier this week. One day I was even in the room! It was a wonderful thing to see since he's not done it in so long.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Starting today, Peek will be getting double the usual (normal) amount of Vit. C per vet's orders. We'll see if this helps him get up and play more.

Riahrae

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:03 pm

Mocha bear sends get well licks to peek.

Hooe all goes well with the double amount of vit c for peek grannyju

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks, Riahrae! Peek sends some flirtatious nudges back, lol. I'll keep ya'll informed of any changes, good, bad or ugly. ;o)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 am

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Glad to see that uptick in weight!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:14 am

Peek's weight continues to drop:

Jan 1175
Feb 1139
March 1157
April 1146
May 1154
June 1063

In June I took Fuzzbutt out of his cage and put her with Scatter because of Flossie's death. I weighed daily for a week or 10 days but saw no real change in anyone's weight. However, looking back over the years, I'm becoming truly concerned for Peek. When I first started weighing him, he weighed almost 1300 grams and was (we think) 3 or 4 years old. Is this normal? Since these are averages (above) should I just wait to see what happens for the July average? From looking at the weekly weights, he'll still be in the mid 1000s for the month, similar to June's weights.

I think he's currently at least 6 years old. He's been getting Metacam on a regular basis for about 2 years due to arthritis. There has been no re-occurrence of the limp since I started giving him the medication daily. What other diseases (he has pea eye) other than heart disease should I be on the look out for? He's currently acting completely normal - sleeps lightly, eats the normal amount, and poops seem normal if a little dry or sometimes mushy, although being housed with another pig, VeBee, it's difficult to tell who is leaving what. I guess what I'm looking for is primer on aging pigs. :o)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:09 pm

I can speak only from my own experience -- but the big boars (1300+ grams) have all lost weight as they aged. Most ended up in the 1000-1100 range, after some being as high as 1460+.

If arthritis is present, the drop helps relieve some pressure on the joints and connective tissue. Watch for heart; impaction (even if he's fixed), and normal defecation. We've had several to seem to benefit from a small daily dose of Reglan once over 6.5 y/o or so.

Extra C may help and won't hurt. Most senior animals (humans included) don't process the nutrients in food as well as they age.

Go by eating, drinking, urinating, defecating, and general moving and behavior. I freaked the first couple times this happened at our house. After a handful of them I stopped freaking **as long as they stabilized** at the lower weights. You can always have his teeth looked at, but if he's shown no change in how he eats **and his weight stabilizes**, they're probably fine.

If he *continues to lose* (or shows any input/output/behavior/personality change), vet trip.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:47 am

Thanks, Talishan! This helps a lot.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 am

Could we please keep this thread about Peekaboo? That was my original intention so that it would be easy to read back over his medical information.