Peekaboo's Medical

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:08 am

It blurred some when I cropped it, but as you can see the area very clearly in the un-cropped photo, I decided to use it:

ImagePeek right eye Pea eye 7.30.15

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Here's a slightly larger image:

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:50 am

I agree on the whitish development at the top of the eye -- one of the osseous-es (for lack of a better way to put it ;-).

Pea eye can be a sign of heart compromise. Does he show any of the other heart signs?

https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:54 pm

Talishan:

"May produce a "hooting" sound" - No

"Chronic upper respiratory infections (URIs)" - No

"Fluid in the lungs" – No

"Reduced activity, lethargy" – No popcorning or lap running since he first got a cagemate 1.5 yrs. ago. When I separated them and he had his cage to himself for a little while, I did see some, but none since (when) he’s housed with any other pig

"Loss of appetite and weight loss" - No

"Malocclusion" - No

"Enlarged heart on x-ray" – None noted, but we were looking for reasons for a limp, so…

"Ear margins may become necrotic from poor circulation
(necrosis on pink ears appears as black margins, on black ears as white margins)" – None noted, will look closer tomorrow (weigh & check-up day)

"Bluish or pale mucous membrane color" – None noted, will look closer tomorrow

"Difficulty coming around after being put under anesthesia" - Yes

"Deep sleeping, easy to pick up (does not run away)" - DEFINITELY not. He’s the least relaxed of all 5, and runs when I’m just talking to him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:44 pm

Then for right now I'd just consider that pea eye, that for now at least isn't necessarily serving as an indicator of anything else. ("Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." ;-)

Without reading back, how old is he?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:02 am

Not sure; I was told when I adopted him that he was a year, but they were only guessing. He was definitely an adult. Going by his activity level and the intermittent problem with his leg, vets and I think he's probably closer to 4 or 5 yrs old. I've had him a little over 2 yrs.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 pm

Okay. In my experience they can begin to sleep pretty soundly at that age, without any heart issues. That said, it's also a prime age to start having signs that one may be developing.

Keep an eye out for the signs on the heart page, but don't be overly concerned about it, at least not for right now.

Keep us posted and best to him.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:23 pm

Thanks, Talishan. Will do.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:18 am

8/12 - I checked & attempted to clean Peek's ears. Not as bad as Fuzzbutt's, but pretty nasty all the same. Poor baby. He ended up with Cerumene down both sides of his head. But, on the plus side, his ears ARE a little cleaner. (Aside: I can't wait for my eyes to be legally-blind-55-year-old-100% again) He might be missing some brain matter.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 am

He'll get over it. ;-)

They hate repeat Hate REPEAT HATE having their ears messed with. But he will forgive you soon enough.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Strangely enough, both he and Flossie seem to enjoy a gentle stroke down the ear. Peek prefers the cheek rub or chin scritch, but he doesn't object to the ear touch either. Or didn't. Flossie will actually half close her eyes when I stroke her ears, almost as if in bliss. Horror maybe? :o)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:18 am

She thinks you are a giant guinea pig that is grooming her ears. :-)