Fuzzbutt's Medical

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:44 pm

She'll likely be fine. But you're on her s**t list. ;-)

One of the nicest things about cavies is that because they're strict herbivores, there's far, far less crud in their droppings than there is in other animals like cats. They eat their droppings, and I'm confident we've, uh, ingested a few by accident at our house. :-/

Far, far fewer nasties in them than in the output of carnivores or omnivores.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:54 pm

I did not feel the styptic pencil I got helped.

It is always disconcerting to cut nails too short! Hopefully it will heal fine.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:47 am

I didn't care for the styptic pencils when I used them on my dog, that's why I use the powder. It works a little better than the pencil or even flour. We just dip the whole foot several times. :o)

Talishan, I know I'm on her list and deservedly so. Will have to give her extra GOOD attention for a while. She bled so much, we probably could have gotten 10 good blood tests. :'o( Poor baby. Guess my eyes are still not ready for that close work. I kept missing when I tried to just get the tip, and then over-corrected by a very wide margin. (cringe)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:24 pm

My vet uses the powder. Cornstarch works too, a little better than flour.

If you're concerned about infection, you can always dip the foot in a very mild solution of Hibiclens and warm water. The problem with that is that the warm water increases circulation and makes it bleed more until it stops. :-/ It's a tradeoff.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:12 pm

I've added some foods to Fuzz's diet because I was worried about it. She's pretty much getting what the others do and so far, I'm not real worried about what's it's doing to her. I've seen a few clumps of soft but well-formed poops; a few stains on the pads I change out every 2 days; and a little smellier areas in the cage. Until I see a real problem with her output, I'll maintain the diet additions.

Starting today, I will also increase her Vit. C intake to double the usual dose. Dr. Widener thinks none of the guinea pigs are getting enough, so along with the double tabs or liquid, I'll increase the amount of bell pepper she's getting, since I really don't want to go the kale/cabbage route. Besides, since she does have arthritis and can't tolerate metacam, the extra Vit. C might help with her pain level.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:49 am

Poor Fuzz, can't seem to get a break. I think she's broken off part of one of her upper front teeth. Lighting was pretty bad at the time I looked, and I keep forgetting to check again. Will turn on all the lights today when I weigh her. Speaking of which: she definitely has not lost any weight, so I'm not super worried. Also why I'm not 100% sure part of the tooth is missing; but when comparing the two front teeth, one seemed a lot longer than the other. She did seem to have a problem taking a carrot out of my hand a couple of days ago which is what got my attention. Plan to call our vet and see if they have a recommendation for a dental vet somewhere within a reasonable distance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:59 am

I hope you can find one! Especially if you note she starts to lose weight. Hopefully it will grow out quickly.

Riahrae

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:01 pm

Poor fuzz :( I hope you can find one!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:18 am

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 am

Fuzzbutt used to weight as much as Scatter, in the 1250 - 1300 gram range. I used to joke that it was a contest for biggest piggy. She's now down to the 1100 - 1150 gram range. Should I start force feeding her Critical Care? She's eating just as much veggies as ever, but might not be eating as much pellets or hay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:31 pm

Any possibility of tooth problems?

I would be tempted to hand feed if you continue to see weight loss.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks, Lynx. I've been thinking I should take them both to the vet, I just haven't got the guts. Three of the last 4 visits have ended in almost immediate death. I know I can't blame myself or the vet, but they're going to start cringing when I make appointments and again when they see me walk through the door and recognize me. I know for one, Fuzz has gone through losses right along beside me.

I just need to stop making excuses and take them in, right? ;o)