Fuzzbutt's Medical

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Emailing them now, Lynx.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Is flickr giving you grief, or the size of the picture? Should I resize before posting? How can I make this easier for you?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:51 pm

You did fine. What I did was leave some large size so you can click on the larger size. I believe the two larger ones should be large enough to comment on the "arthritis":

Large:
http://www.guinealynx.info/pics/xrays/GrannyJu1-1.jpeg

Small:

Large:
http://www.guinealynx.info/pics/xrays/GrannyJu1-2.jpeg

Small:

Cropped:

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:09 pm

Looks great, Lynx! Thank you so much!

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:25 am

5 Days of Metacam & Reglan, with Bene-Bac Plus after Reglan ran out, 10-15 minutes of the vibration. No change in anything, except poop count is back up to what it was last summer. She's still slow to move, easily pushed around (far cry from how she was behaving several months ago). We bought some baby carrots yesterday, so instead of pieces of full size carrots, they got the baby. The carrots were so tiny I gave her 2. Every piece disappeared and no other guinea pig could get to her food, so I KNOW she ate them. A little later I gave her another tiny carrot; she shredded it and left it scattered over the fleece. Sheesh! She's stopped eating her Vit C tabs, so I'm a ittle worried there. I feed her cilantro, since she no longer eats parsley. The little rat really has me tied in knots. She's eating enough hay and/or pellets (she loves these), and the limited veggies she's allowed, to maintain her weight, though.

They're all due for annual exams in November. If I can afford it, we'll take her to Farmhouse. Have him look over these x-rays/radiographs and get a second opinion. I'm flummoxed.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:54 am

I know you are doing your best and keeping a close eye on her. She's lucky to have you in her corner!

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:26 pm

Diagnoses: Lice - Treatment: Ivermectin, Topical, behind the ears, using 1/2cc Insulin Syringe with needle broken off.

9/12/15 1289 gm .065
9/19/15 1271 gm .065
9/26/15 1270 gm .065
10/3/15 1325 gm .065
10/10/15 1259 gm .065
10/17/15 1254 gm .065

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:45 am

"Ivomec - Injection - 1% Sterile Solution 50 mL"

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:41 pm

Fuzz is once again in major mess mode (but, thank heavens, still no diarrhea), poor baby. When I was cleaning the cage last Sunday, I noticed that the fleece seemed even messier than usual, so I put all 3 on lettuce only for a couple of days. Everyone but Fuzz went back to normal.

I've been giving Fuzz spinach again for some extra Vit C, and now her droppings are very wet and sticky. Today while changing the cage, I found smears on the bottoms of grids where she'd been laying. It's not runny; they are all fairly well formed, if a little long occasionally, but they do tend to stick together in a pile, and like I said, instead of rolling along, I get a smear from at least one in each pile. So back to lettuce only.

Can she stay healthy with just the KMS pellets and hay, and a cup or so of lettuce every day?

Do I just keep forcing her Metacam and Vit C in?

Another subject but kind of connected - Since she really needs at least a butt bath, and I finally got some anti-fungal shampoo to use on all of them (just in case), can I use the anti-fungal on her now, or should I wait? I have some plain ol' aloe shampoo I can give her a butt bath with, then do a full with the fungal at a later date.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:45 pm

I would look over her hair and see if you find anything that looks dandruffy. If so, I'd go for the antifungal shampoo.

Perhaps you can crush up some vitamin C and sprinkle it on wet lettuce if you are worried about her getting enough C?

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks, Lynx!

It was suggested in (I think) VeBee's thread that instead of the lice I can not seem to get rid of, I might be dealing with a fungal infection. I've not seen anything on ears; no sores on anyone; and the insane shedding seems to have cut back to a more normal level. Everyone is still scratching but I haven't seen any more of what I suspected were bugs. I'm not real sure about this vet in Longview. I'll post about Peek's re-check in a bit.

Anyway, at my wits end, I thought I'd try anything and everything. Will the shampoo hurt them in anyway if they DON'T have any skin problems? Fuzz is my Teddy, but I've seen VeBee (Abyssinian) do a fair amount of scratching also. I've read and/or been told, Teddys naturally have skin problems. Do Abbyssinians?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:11 pm

No, I do not think it will hurt them at all. You can give it a go.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:01 pm

Teddies tend toward dry, sensitive skin. Abbys do not -- in my experience, their skin does not have any particular sensitivities.

Wheekers3

Post   » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Smell around Fuzz'es chin. My longer haired girl had fungus on hers. It stunk, and if you tried to rub it she would go nuts, and then go to a whole 'nother level of crazy. Poor girl. We're talking tooth gnashing insane.

We used clippers to shorten chin and throat hair. It wasn't drying out enough between her snogglings of water. Lotrimin cleared it up almost instantly. Nizoral would help too.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:39 am

Thanks, everyone. Undoubtedly good advice! I'll give Fuzz a thorough check over tomorrow. I'll sniff after I bath her. ;o) Kidding. I did happen to notice today that most of the hair is worn off the inside 3 toes on one of her front feet, but I read a post saying that's normal due to cleaning. Today's look was really different, but I didn't have a chance to give her a good look over because she was already freaking out due to having just been forced to down her Metacam. I did it by myself today and since I couldn't feel any on her face or throat afterwards, I must have finally found her mouth, heeheehee.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:30 pm

:-)

Metacam has a very strong smell. You can pretty much also sniff her face and mouth. If she didn't get it, you'll be able to smell it. ;-)

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:30 pm

Finally got to the vet up in Olympia. Not exotics, but very, very close.

He checked out the photos I printed up of Fuzz's x-rays/radiographs. He is a little concerned about the solid white spot (in my photo) on the underside of her jaw and would really like to have copies directly from the Longview vet who did them. Have asked via email to have them put on a disk (even offered to pay for it), but I guess I'll have to call them instead, because I've heard nothing. And he was incredulous that she'd have arthritis at less than 2 years of age. He found one leg joint that he'd like to have a closer look at.

Dr. W. didn't have a lot of time and he still had to check out the other 4 pigs, but he stressed several times that instead of annual check, we should consider this a "getting acquainted" session. He did do the usual checks: heart, lungs, palpation, etc., and didn't find anything else to concern him. We'll work on the soft poops in the future, since she's had them since the beginning and they don't seem to seriously affect her. He told me to look for "trends" when something catches my attention. He checked her skin and hair for lice - GONE!

He told me as we were leaving that although we only spent a short time on each of the 5, he would now refill any prescriptions we felt I needed. Also, he only charged me for three pig check-ups instead of five!

He was very interested in the Guinea Lynx website, and I wouldn't be surprised to find he'd joined us. I have the impression that animals are his life. He was pretty surprised when I told him that Pea/Fatty Eye could be ONE symptom of heart disease. In fact, I don't think he believed me until his receptionist googled it and found info connecting the two.

As soon as I can get the copies of those x-rays to him, we'll either talk over the phone, or go back so he can have a more extensive look at her if needed.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:45 pm

So glad to hear the lice are gone! I know you tried so hard. And he sounds like a good vet! I hope he's able to get hard copies of the xrays to check over.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:19 pm

If not, I'll print full size photos and maybe he'll be able to see what concerns him, better. Since they are such large files, I might even crop and then print those full size. He'd really like to be able to load them onto his computer. Apparently the emailing doesn't really cut it. I'll just have to try to light a fire under the staff at AHS.

GrannyJu1
Armcavy

Post   » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:47 pm

Cd with x-rays sent off to Dr W. on Monday. Will probably hear from him next week, if not sooner.

Have discontinued daily Metacam, but will continue giving it to her on an as-needed basis, and just try to figure out exactly what her "in pain" signs are. So far, I can't for the life of me tell. After one week of forcing it down her on a daily basis, Fuzz came out of the fleece forest/hidey to eat or drink only. She must not have been eating much hay either because I so seldom saw her outside wherever she chose to hide. Her poops became soft and smelly again (although that could be because I accidently gave her Peek's bowl with peppers a few days ago). After just the one day (yesterday) of no Metacam, she's bright and cheerful again this morning, even came out for her vitamin C tab (have been hunting her down to give it to her, even though she doesn't eat the whole thing).

At any rate, unless anyone has any other suggestions, Fuzz will only get the Metacam when I suspect she's in pain. She doesn't show the "normal" ones.

133 posts