Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:37 am

Yay for the Big Pig!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:08 am

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Since Flossie's passing, Scatter has been pretty depressed. Only leaves the hay box to eat his veggies and drink some water. Occasional he'll come to see what I'm talking to him about but then goes straight back to the hay box. Doesn't spend any time in his hideys or show any interest in the stuffed toy I gave him. No cardboard chewing. Nothing but hay, water, and veggies. :'o( I'm going to spend Friday and as much of Saturday as is necessary introducing him to Fuzzbutt. I expect this to be an eardrum-shattering experience. Scatter gets a little excited when the others wheek, but if I hold him up to their grids he goes nuts and cries loudly. Fuzzbutt is my resident screamer when any strange pig gets any closer than eyesight, so... Wish me luck. Scatter obviously can't be a lone pig and I was pretty sure of that from the beginning. Mr. G won't like it, but he'll put up with another pig if I insist. Another girl would be ideal, if I can't get Fuzz to settle down.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:16 pm

I hope it works!
Scatter sounds so sad :-(

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 am

Scatter passed away on Sept. 12, 2017, after a very short and unknown illness. He exhibited no symptoms until I found him collapsed and unable to breath easily. I rushed him to the vet (an hour away), but before she could even get into the room, he passed.

These are her necropsy notes. I don't understand anything except the fact that his lungs were full of blood. They didn't use any punctuation when transcribing the notes, only an extra space or two, so it's hard to read. I don't know where one sentence ends and the next begins.

"Age: 4 yrs weight: 1.28

Appointment notes for 09/12/17
1 Declined: Medical Exam
3343 Autopsy Exotic <1 kg
Gross: eyes ears nose skin NAF liquid food around mouth Internal Heart NAF lung blood congested in 90% of lungs very small area of normal pink lung tissue liver gall bladder kidneys spleen NAF stomach air and fluid filled duodenum fluid filled normal lining jejunum empty of ingesta hyperaemic lining increased vascularization distal jejunum cecum proximal colon filled with liquid ingesta distal colon has formed pellets Bladder filled with blood tinged fluid

3428 Private cremation < 2 lbs"

If anyone can explain more than the "lung blood congested...", I'd appreciate any help.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm sorry, GrannyJu1.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:05 pm

I had to track it down but NAF apparently means no abnormal findings. So those not tagged with NAF would be more significant.
I think you know I don't have a medical background. Hopefully someone else may be able to offer you more information. Lacking any punctuation, does it seem to be at all formatted with "new line" (we could then mentally put a period at the end of the previous line).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Here's the way I'd read it:

Gross: eyes ears nose skin NAF
liquid food around mouth
Internal Heart NAF
lung blood congested in 90% of lungs very small area of normal pink lung tissue
liver gall bladder kidneys spleen NAF
stomach air and fluid filled
duodenum fluid filled, normal lining
jejunum empty of ingesta, hyperaemic (increased blood flow) lining, increased vascularization
distal jejunum cecum proximal colon filled with liquid ingesta
distal colon has formed pellets
Bladder filled with blood tinged fluid

Or you could read:

jejunum empty of ingesta, hyperaemic (increased blood flow) lining
increased vascularization distal jejunum
cecum proximal colon filled with liquid ingesta

Just my $.02, since, without punctuation, there's no way to know what they meant. But the really significant stuff, and what was the likely cause of death, has to do with the lungs. He obviously had a huge amount of bleeding into the lungs. Without knowing a thing about it, I'd guess a burst blood vessel, possibly eroded by a tumor. I don't know how detailed the necropsy of the lungs was, or whether it would have found a tumor if present.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:35 pm

Thank you, both. This vet does seem to know her business. (She found tumors on Flossie's adrenals when she did that necropsy, and decided that was Flossie's cause of death. Nothing else was found to abnormal in her.) She looked for the cause of blood in Scatter's lungs, and said that that kind of damage was most usual in electrocution, which just was not possible in Scatter's case.

Anyway, thanks again. I really appreciate your help.