Hazel's medical thread

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:36 am

Hazel's got a little bite or scratch a little ways away from the lance, and it's looking a little inflamed and starting to get puffy today. I put a bit of Neosporin on it, is there anything else I can do in addition or that might work better to fight the inflammation? Is there a page for wound care somewhere?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:54 am

Did they put a drain in? And tell you to flush it?

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:20 am

No no, it's not the lance wound that's inflamed, it's a small injury near it. No drain, no flushing.

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:24 am

Here's a photo- the one closer to her ear is the one I'm worrying about.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:26 am

Unfortunately, I doubt that Neosporin will do anything for it if it's showing the beginnings of infection. I'd recommend seeing a vet before a full abscess develops.

Antibacterial/antifungal creams can help when an scrape first occurs. But they really can't do anything for a bite, because the organism is down in the skin. And once an infection has started to set in (the inflammation and puffiness) after an injury, it's not likely to clear it up.

You can continue to treat it that way (apply sparingly, rub in well so the pig can't ingest it) until you can see a vet, but if it were me, I'd call for an appointment.

Edited to add after I saw the picture: That's open enough that the Neosporin might help. Soak it (if necessary) to get any scab off, then apply the ointment. But if it doesn't start clearing up immediately, then see a vet.

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:37 am

All right, will do. Thank you for your help!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:44 am

Is that a lump near the ear? And one on it? I would see a vet if it is. poor little Hazel. How did the others get to her? Sending a hug from me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:48 am

Was that a self-inflicted injury? Maybe the general area is itchy and antihistamines might help?

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:36 am

@daisymay: No, that's just a fold in her ear, and what you're seeing near the ear is an irritated bite/scratch, no lump there, just puffiness (so far). The lump is between her shoulder blades, she's been to the vet and they lanced it, hence the shaved area and the lance wound haha. Nothing came out unfortunately. She is going back to the vet for a biopsy Tuesday after it heals enough for them to get a good sample. We'll decide on how to handle things from there once we find out more about what kind of lump it is.

@Lynx: No, she's been attacked my my other pigs during the reintegration process and they got her there. She is now separated from them at the vet's request so that she doesn't get any more injuries that might interfere with the biopsy.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:38 am

I see a tiny skin tag on her ear. All three of my girls have them (strange the boys don't), but those aren't itchy.

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:51 am

Wait a second, where do you see the skin tag on her ear?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:57 am

The little bitty white bump almost dead center of the "bare" area of her ear. If it IS a simple skin tag, it's nothing to worry about and that's what it looks like to me. There are actually a bunch of tiny spots there, but only the one looks big enough to be tag. I could be wrong, though.

I have tons of them on myself in various spots.