Foster deformed poop

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:04 pm

If the drugs are effective against whatever is causing the pneumonia, he should improve. If you are not seeing improvement in a day or so, I would call and talk to your vet. Sometimes nebulizing drugs like gentomycin can help improve breathing.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi, Foster is getting slowly better from pneumonia, his breathing is more 'soft', but he still only eats critical care, and his poop is like that now:

Saturday was something like that but in less quantity, it got better to small and dry poos, and now it's like that, is that catarrh? I also noticed that his right eye is kind of 'shrinking', it's more deep in his eye ball, I don't know how to correctly explain it. Any idea of what I can do? I called the vet and she said I should try to introduce fiber in his diet, but he can't manage to eat anything but pellet mash in syringe.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:41 pm

The shrunken eye is almost certainly a sign of dehydration. Syringe him water if he's not drinking enough. It may help to flavor it with something he likes. All my pigs have been willing to kill for anything that tastes like watermelon.

Is he still on an antibiotic? If so, it may need to be stopped. That kind of watery stool can debilitate him in a hurry.

How much pellet mash are you able to get into him?

Atomicoxy

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:04 pm

bpatters wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:41 pm The shrunken eye is almost certainly a sign of dehydration. Syringe him water if he's not drinking enough. It may help to flavor it with something he likes. All my pigs have been willing to kill for anything that tastes like watermelon.

Is he still on an antibiotic? If so, it may need to be stopped. That kind of watery stool can debilitate him in a hurry.

How much pellet mash are you able to get into him?
I'm giving him water in syringe, but it's probably not enough... Yes, he's still on antibiotics, tomorrow is the last day, he still not breathing 100% but it's better, also, sometimes fluids comes out of his nose. About the mash, I'm not sure how many cc i'm giving him a day, but it's probably not enough, as I started a job now and I am the only at home that manages to handfeed him... I will do my best to get this guy good again.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:06 am

I'm managing to handfeed Foster more, but there's a problem, he wont chew! Im massaging his jaw very gently, he was 5 days on pain medicines, and since day 1 from the teeth planning he simply won't chew the food, he chew for 1 second when I put in his mouth then he just leave it there, for example, I gave him 22:00 PM some pellet mash, and this morning 6:30AM there was still a good ammount of food in his mouth... I also feel that there's is almost no jaw muscle, as he is so thin, he was 560 grams yesterday...

Atomicoxy

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Well... Foster passed away when I arrived home, I teached my father on how to handfeed him, he did it this morning but Foster couldn't manage anymore, he wasn't even chewing the pellet mash anymore... He was still with bad breathing and his heart was probably weak after all this medicine... Anyway, I would like to post my favorite photo of him here, he was a great pig, I remember when I bought him from the pet shop, he was the only one that stayed quiet while all his brothers/cage mates kept moving like crazy, was funny... I love you Foster!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:53 pm

I'm so sorry you lost him.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:07 pm

I'm so sorry. That is a lovely photo. He was a beautiful guinea pig.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:08 pm

I am so sorry you lost him, Atomicoxy. He was indeed a beautiful guinea pig. What a wonderful picture of him.