Foster deformed poop

Atomicoxy

Post   » Fri May 11, 2018 11:17 am

bpatters wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:09 am I'm not an x-ray technician, and the x-ray is pretty small. But it seems to me that the roots are elongated. What did the vet say?
You can right click the image and open it in a new tab, it will get bigger.

The vet said nothing about elongated root yet, I will ask her. How to deal with elongated roots? Extracting the teeth?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Look over this page to see what you think about possible elongation (and how it is treated):
https://www.guinealynx.info/elongated_roots.html

Atomicoxy

Post   » Fri May 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Foster is at home now, he did his first teeth planning, but my anxiety strikes when I remember what me and Flake has been through, and my money is runnig out, I read many topics about malocclusion, and the treatment failure rate seems to be higher than sucessful, this makes me sad... I hope Foster can get better faster, the vet said he doesn't have elongated root, but maybe she is wrong?

I took a look at the page, but I still have no idea if he has elongated roots comparing the x-rays, his left eye used to be watery and irritaded (for like a year, I'm not sure), this could be a sign, but it used to get better and come back randomly, he also always ate normally...

Can someone with more experience compare to me?

This is Foster x-ray.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Here is the picture from the guide:

I think it looks bumpier than your xray in the jaw area. Run your fingers along the jaw line to see if it feels bumpy. The upper molars do look similar. Perhaps Pinta could comment on whether both the upper and lower molars were elongated (I think this is her xray).

Let me know if you'd like your xrays added to your thread for future readers.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Fri May 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Of course Lynx, add them, tomorrow the vet will send me the photos of before and after the trimming and I will post them for you.

I ran my fingers in his jaw and I couldn't notice any bump, I hope Pinta can confirm if this x-ray has elongated roots in bottom or upper molars (or both).

Also, I tried to give him some lettuce/grass, he wanted to take it but couldn't because she probably cut his incisors too short... He is still sleepy from the anesthesia, I will hand feed him tomorrow as today he seems really off himself.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 12, 2018 11:30 am

You are welcome to write Pinta and ask her (can send her to this thread). I think her xray is pretty old - I hope she remembers!

Atomicoxy

Post   » Sat May 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Thanks Lynx, I sent her a PM and ae- mail, she thinks he has elongated roots, but asked my vet to e-mail Dr. Legendre to confirm.

Meanwhile, Foster is managing to eat already, as she cut his incisors too short, he can't pick up food properly, but if I hold it he can do it, also he already ate a bit of pellet mash, his recovery is looking better than Flake's one.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 12, 2018 4:46 pm

I hate when the incisors are cut too short! There are some vets who do not realize how difficult it makes eating.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Sat May 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Yes... it's definitely too short, I have to cut veggies really tiny for him, he would probably be eating a good amount of food already if it wasn't the short incisors.

I checked his jaw for bumps again, and this time I could feel a really tiny bump on both sides at the same point, are enlogated roots symmetrical?

Also, how elongated roots are treated? Only Chin-Sling would work? Could he still manage to eat normally if it's not too elongated? Trimming the teeth would reduce the elongation?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 12, 2018 8:37 pm

I think some of your questions are answered on the page link I posted about elongated roots.
https://www.guinealynx.info/elongated_roots.html

I would check out other guinea pigs to see how their jawbones feel to see if it is normal or not.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Sun May 13, 2018 2:13 pm

I checked my other pig that is eating normally and he also have this little bump, so I think it's probably not a elongated root.

I noticed that Foster is keep chewing even if he is not eating, could it be food remains or something is bothering him? He did that even before the surgery.

I'm avoiding to hand feed him as he is managing to keep weight, but if I see a weight drop I will hand feed him, the thing is that food drops from his mouth sometimes and he has difficult to pull the food inside... It's probably because the short incisors, right?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Yes, I am guessing it is related to the incisors. Usually if the incisors are too long, the molars are too. I think you know that already.

I noticed years ago chewing motion when not eating. Not sure what it means.