First Angel...now it's Elsie..crying when peeing.!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:12 pm

Okay, makes sense to me now. I wasn't aware you saw the same vet.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:25 pm

Update: Angel had her urine tested again today. It was the first time since Oct. 2003 there was no blood!!! YAY! There were a few white blood cells but I was told not enough to be concerned. Dr. S. wants to test her urine again in 4 weeks. He wants me to keep her on the Bactrim another 4 weeks too. Wow! That'll be 3 months on the stuff.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:32 pm

That is great news.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:09 am

Great news, Carol! If the bactrim keeps her pain free, it is really worth it.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Update: Angel had another follow up urinalysis today and it was bad news. There was a lot of blood in her urine ("about 50" - whatever that means) and more white blood cells. She has to go back in two weeks for a cystocentisis so Dr. S can culture her urine.

I've got her on Polycitra now with his approval.

I got into a car accident on the way to the vets office this morning. My car had to be driven back home and I have to pick up a rental tomorrow.

My friend who drove me there got mad and I had to call another friend to pick me up at the vets office to take me home.

It was a very bad day. O:(

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:57 pm

Oh no! Bad news all around. I'm sorry about Angel's continuing urinary woes--hopefully the next culture will give you some answers. And I'm sorry to hear about your car troubles, too. I hope the insurance stuff is handled swiftly, and that you weren't hurt at all.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:07 am

I'm so sorry, Carol -- sorry about Angel and your lousy day. You've been battling this for a while. You both need a permanent break from guinea pig urinary tract problems.

LER

Post   » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:22 am

Gosh. I'm sory your day was not good. Thoughts going oit that things improve from here on in.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:29 pm

Well, I think perhaps I may be on to something. Seems that Escarole is considered high in oxalates per the nutrition chart that Oxbow Hay put together. Escarole has been a staple of Angel's diet. I am not going to feed it to the girls anymore and see what happens. I've witnessed her not crying when urinating a few times over the last few days.

It's been a bad week. My friends piggie, Stripe, died during bladder/urethra repair surgery, my friends dog died Monday (I saw this dog a week before and I could tell she was sick but my friend couldn't afford a vet ), another friend had to put her dog down last week and now my friends guinea pig, George is deteriorating each day from what the vet said is cancer. They have two oxygen tanks at home to sustain him until they feel he's ready to go if he doesn't pass on his own. I saw him tonight and it's very sad. He just has no substance to him after losing a ton of weight. He just quit eating today.
Last edited by GP Lover on Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:29 pm

I should have noted that oxalate crystals have been increasing in her urine.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:34 pm

Escarole is high in oxalates? Crap!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:47 pm

http://www.gpigs-database.org

According to the nutritional information chart published here it is labeled high.

Sophie and Elsie are okay. Neither one has had bladder issues.