First Angel...now it's Elsie..crying when peeing.!

Becky

Post   » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:27 pm

No problem.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:31 pm

Thanks! You're the best!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:28 am

Becky - any chance you'll be getting to it today? I think the vet's office will call at the end of the day today. If not, can you just post what dosage you give to Chippy? Do you give it every day? You feel it relieves the pain?

Becky

Post   » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:39 am

I was just working on it. Had to go to a PTA meeting.

I don't give the metacam daily--only when she's crying or straining. Then I give it twice daily. I've never had to give it more than two days.

Her dose is 0.2ml twice a day as needed. It's the same formulation you have--1.5mg/ml.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:31 am

Thanks Becky. I'll be faxing it to my vet today. He mentioned trying a steroid on Angel. I'll have to wait until they call with the test results and see what he wants me to do.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:59 pm

Update: Angel's follow up urine culture (via cystocentisis) turned out to be negative again. Dr. S. sent it out somewhere for a second opinion. Today his office called and left a message that he wants to try her on cortisone and an antibiotic. So, I'll be getting that Monday.

Does anybody know what the cortisone might be? Is is just called that or something else? Has anyone ever tried it for inflammation?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:34 pm

I don't remember Josephine mentioning its use. I think in one post Chary got a cortisone injection for a pig. I couldn't find out much about it (the cream will thin out the skin, I don't think this applies to shots).

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:39 pm

I was just reading about steroids, which I believe cortisone to be, in the online Merck Veterinary Manual. It sounds a bit scary. I hope she does okay with it. I did read it should be used with an antibiotic in her case because I think it interferes with the immune system or something like that?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:17 am

Update: I just spoke to Dr. S. Angel is going on Prednisone for 2 weeks with an antibiotic for 1 week.

He explained that this could be a cure. That she has a sterile inflammatory reaction going on. There is blood in the urine and pain on urination buy yet no evidence of an infection.

He said that Prednisone has been used in guinea pigs so I feel okay with this now.

He'll test a voided urine sample in two weeks.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:24 am

Steroids can lower immune system function. Watch out for symptoms of URI and other illnesses.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:26 am

"Steroids can lower immune system function."

Thanks for the warning. He did explain that and that is the reason she'll be taking the Bactrim.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:08 pm

Update: Angel had no improvement with the prednisone. She is back to crying when urinating almost every time again.

Today Dr. S tested her urine again and she still has blood and white blood cells. So, he wants me to try her on Elavil, which is Amitriptyline. It is used to treat the pain of interstitial cystitis by blocking pain, calming bladder spasms and reducing inflammation. He said it's not been used in guinea pigs but he has worked out a dosage for Angel. I'll be picking it up Wednesday and hoping that this works!

If anybody has any experience with this medication please let me know!