First Angel...now it's Elsie..crying when peeing.!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:34 pm

Angel got spayed on Tuesday because she had ovarian cysts.

Now Elsie is crying when she pees! She is going to have an ultrasound. I can't believe this is happening again so soon!

Angel seems to be recovering well. She ate in the car on the way home and continues to eat well and move around a bit. She is in a separate cage with a smaller area to hang in until she gets her stitches out next week.

Just now, Angel whimpered when she peed. Is this to be expected as a post-op side effect? Does anybody know?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:46 pm

I don't remember Snowflake whimpering when peeing but I don't remember well. I would think things might be sore. I hope it doesn't mean anything.

Elsie is crying now? They are related, right? I hope you are able to get a correct diagnosis right away. I'm sorry she may have problems too. This has to be hard on you all.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:47 pm

I'm sorry. I hope that both Angel and Elsie will be fine and have uneventful recoveries.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:49 pm

Yup! Elsie's crying now!! I am so upset. I really feel sick about this happening again to another one and so soon! I still have Angel recuperating.

No, Angel and Elsie aren't related. Elsie is Sophie's daughter.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:02 am

Damn! When it rains, it pours, huh? On the plus side, this time, you know the drill and you can tell the vets to cut the crap and get to the point sooner.

Becky

Post   » Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:05 pm

You might have an x-ray done first to rule out stones/sludge.

I know how you feel. Cookie was just coming out of her last surgery when I heard Chippy do the same whimpering and hunching when she peed. I truly thought I was creating it in my own mind.

Good luck.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:52 pm

Yup, I know the drill this time. Thanks for your support guys. It really means a lot. This is very upsetting. I worry about Elsie going through surgery because she's so fat (3.2lbs) and she's a feisty one. I even worry about the ultrasound. If she doesn't cooperate for it they'll have to give her some anesthesia. So, I've been practicing with her! I put her on her back on a soft pillow and rub her belly and get her to calm down and get a bit used to that.

Getting an x-ray would cost me $145. I might as well go right for the ultrasound. I do feel a tiny lump which I suspect may be a stone but at least she'll be checked for cysts as well.

She's going Monday for the ultrasound. Today I started her on Baytril.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:17 pm

Well, the news is rather bad:

-She has enlarged and lumpy mammary glands
-She has an enlarged uterus
-She has something abnormal looking in her bladder

The ultrasound technician was able to get a urine sample directly from her bladder to be cultured.

The vet is going to aspirate the mammary glands and tomorrow she will have the results back from a lab.

She is scheduled for surgery on Thursday. She will have to be spayed for sure and tomorrow I'll know more about the mammary gland problem. The vet said it could be hormonal and fixed by the spay or it could be a tumor.

I'm so upset! I don' t want to loose my baby, Elsie.

Becky

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:22 pm

Keep hoping. The surgery might solve her problems.

Good thoughts coming your and Elsie's way.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:39 pm

I know this news is not welcome. But I am glad you were able to get as much information as you did and are not going to go through the extended time to diagnose the problems which was hard on you and your other cavy.

I hope the surgery goes well. And more than anything, I hope a spay takes care of it all.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:09 pm

Well, I just went to pick up Elsie. The vet said she looked at the aspirate from the mammary glands and she said it looked good. She still wants to send it out to a lab to confirm however.

I asked her if with all of Elsie's problems is her spay still going to be considered more or less routine and she said yes.

Wow, Angel was the guinea pig for Elsie. The vet did a great job for Angel so let's hope it goes as well for Elsie! Thursday Angel gets her stitches out and gets to go back in the cage with Sophie who will be saying bye bye to Elsie who is getting spayed that same day. WHEW! What an ordeal.

When I'm done with the two of them I will have spent about $2,000 but I love my girls and would do anything for them.

I just hope Sophie stays healthy!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:03 pm

Wow. The comforting thing is spays often result in a complete cure and years of healthy living. I hope they both recover well. You TOO can be one of our experts!