First Angel...now it's Elsie..crying when peeing.!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:34 pm

Hmmm, is the vet going to absorb any of the cost? Seems it would be a side effect of how she did the stitches. Hard to know for sure if she feels this is part of the operation.

So long as it is sorted out and she heals fine, we'll all be happy.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:51 pm

No, it does not appear to have anything to do with the stitches. They just happen to be on the sides of the incision, but definitely n not related. She said the lumps weren't even there at the time! I tend to believe her because how could they be missed at the examination, the ultrasound and during the surgery???

According to Pinta, lumps can form rather rapidly. To me they feel like lipomas, which is what Angel had removed from her chest last year.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:27 pm

Ah, from your description I thought they were associated with the incision itself, like a small abscess .

Good luck then.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:24 pm

Update: I heard Elsie cry today when she peed. I have also seen her pee without crying so it's not every time. However, she has been having a wet bottom quite a bit lately!!

The vet said she may just be sore still from the surgery but she wants to test her urine tomorrow to be sure. She had a urine culture right before her surgery because she was crying when peeing but there was no sign of anything wrong at the time.

Geez...when will this end!!! She has to go for surgery again Oct. 3rd to have those lumps removed.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:23 pm

Well, turns out Elsie has crystals in her urine. The vet wants to research the best way to treat this and call me tomorrow.

She doesn't believe Elsie could have formed a stone in the last 3 weeks since her ultrasound and surgery. I think from what I've been reading in old posts here, that it could be possible?

Carol

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:19 pm

Yes, it could be possible. I've heard of pigs getting stones only two weeks after surgery to remove one.

However, crystals are normal in the urine. I mean, a certain amount is considered normal, but sludge is bad news. I'd have an x-ray or ultrasound taken to rule it out.

Sorry, apparently, these things come in three. Or twelve.

Becky

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:20 pm

Yes, yes, yes! Stones can form in less than three weeks. I'd get an x-ray for sure.

If it's sludge, talk to your vet about starting her on polycitra.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:27 pm

Spoke to the vet today. She felt that a change in diet (eliminate Alfalfa) should be tried first except once we went over the diet Elsie's on it was obvious that she gets little to no Alfafa (we think!)...so, we are going to give her Polycitra and test her urine again in two weeks the day she goes for surgery.

There are some treats I have been giving her so now I am going to eliminate those. Perhaps they have been the cause of this.

Elsie has no blood or bacteria in her urine so that was good news.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:11 pm

Try Polycitra without an x-ray? That's just plain wrong, you know. For all you know, she has a huge stone that needs to be removed ASAP.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:32 pm

Were they oxalate crystals in her urine?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:02 pm

I don't think so...I think they were calcium carbonate. I read the ingredients on one of the treats I've been giving her (it's really a feed but I give it as a treat) and it is full of Alfalfa...it's got alfalfa, dehydrated alfalfa and alfalfa meal.

She's mostly peeing with no crying..I do believe she may still be sore from the spay as sometimes she was whimpering when she pooped once in a while, but this seems to have changed to hardly ever happening now.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:07 pm

All the more reason to take a new x-ray. If she has a stone floating around her bladder, you want to get it out before it gets stuck.

Becky

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:50 pm

I believe all crystals found in the urine are calcium carbonate?

Really, do the x-ray. If it's not a stone, breathe a sigh of relief. If it is, and you didn't check, you'll be berating yourself.

When I took Cookie back, my vet insisted she couldn't have another stone already (less than three weeks). I finally told him to just humor a crazy lady and take the x-ray.

You should have seen his face when he came back with an x-ray showing not one, but two new stones. He has never questioned me again.

Do a new x-ray. Just my opinion.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:25 pm

Well, I have to find out from the vet if she does have a stone if she can do one operation to remove the two lumps and the bladder stone. In any event, she's still healing from the spay. I may ask her to x-ray the day of surgery if she can do it all at one time.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:34 pm

How discouraging. I'm sorry you are having to deal with possible stones too.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:15 pm

Hey! Welcome back Lynx!!! I am so disgusted...I just don't know what to do. Even Angel is whimpering on occasion while peeing.

Angel had two courses of antibiotics and got spayed! Her urine test showed no crystals. At least at the time it didn't.

I will be consulting with the vet about Angel now too.

At least I haven't heard Elsie whimper for the past few days. Maybe the Polycitra is working. I'll know for sure after the next urinalysis.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:45 pm

No electricity for 5 days. The water heater cutoff is now leaking too.

Cara

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:34 am

Polycitra takes a long time to work. Josie has been on it for months now and combined with Bethanechol and subcues we are finally seeing an leveling off of her sludge. AFTER you've had the x-ray taken and know for sure it's not a stone you might want to ask your vet about Bethanechol. It helps keep the sludge moving through Josie's system. It can be given with Polycitra.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:54 am

How can sludge be diagnosed? Would it show up on the x-ray? When I asked the vet if it could be sludge she said no. I think she said because there is no blood in the urine she's not alarmed about the crystals.

This is all getting very confusing. In the meantime, both girls appear to be doing so well. Their behavior is normal, they eat well and poop well. I haven't heard Elsie whimper in a few days but then again I;m not standing over her listening each time she pees.

Same with Angel. I have her on Baytril.

Cara

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:23 pm

Sludge shows up on an x-ray. I can feel it in Josie's urine and see it also. All pigs will have crystals in their urine but sludge is a lot of crystals that can form into stones, irritate the bladder and cause infection. Josie whimpers often, it's just, sadly, part of her day. She has a lot of sludge that is painful at times but polycitra, bethanechol, and subcues are helping.

If the vet doesn't do an x-ray then she is simply guessing. Insist on an x-ray. I knew two weeks after Squeay's first bladder stone surgery there were more in there. Dr. Fisher said nah, can't be. I insisted on the x-ray and there were the newly formed stones. You have to be an advocate for your pigs! Insist on that x-ray, don't let you vet simply go on her intiution or guess. You know your pigs and how their actions relate to how they feel.

647 posts