Nutmegs thread medical

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Okay. There's common, everyday fungal and there's ringworm. Ringworm is a fungus, yes, but it is much more long-lasting in carpets, etc., and it is transmissible to humans (and vice-versa).

Nothing you've posted looks like ringworm to me. Ringworm gets its name from the nearly circular hairless patches it causes. Common garden-variety fungal problems are not as severe, and they are just that -- common, garden variety problems.

1. Don't separate them. This doesn't warrant it. Keep them all together as normal. Treat this eye spot as bpatters suggests, and any ear spots as well. Basically do what worked for Acorn. Keep an eye on Mocha bear and do the same for her if and as necessary.

2. Normal, good husbandry will suffice just fine (ditto Lynx). Don't freak. A little (very little, it doesn't take much!) bleach in the laundry will help, but don't use very much of it, if any at all, in and around their cage. Guinea pigs HATE repeat HATE the smell of bleach and it will freak them out.

3. Handle and hold your pigs as normal. The only fungus transmissible to you or vice-versa is ringworm.

Please tell your husband this is a minor problem -- just part of properly caring for pets. (Wait until you have kids, if you don't already. They'll teach you right quick what's freak-worthy and what's not. ;-)

Fungal stuff is very common and can happen in the best cared-for households. That said, fungal problems are more frequent in damp environments. Do you have a ground-floor or basement apartment? Is your home in a damp environment, or a dry one? (Whereabouts are you? I.e., Inland Empire is a lot different from SF.)

Riahrae

Post   » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:05 pm

@talishan thank you for all your advice I'm less worried now.

I'm treating nutmeg and chestnut. I didn't separate them but I'm worried as the fact that chestnut had attacked mocha bear and took a good chunk of her hair out from her bum area. And I keep hearing squeals.

I live in a dry area its about 90-105 degrees but I have their cage cooled. And the room cooled as well. The only thing is that cage does et a little wet with the water bottle when they drink but never stays damp it's always dry.

I just want thembetter they're my babies. I constantly clean everything idk why they have fungus. But I guess like you said even the best well cared for gets it. It just sucks you know

But again thank you for the detailed advice. Really helpful

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:46 am

Use a cream and keep us posted.

This may fall into the "stuff happens" category. ;-)

Riahrae

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:20 am

@talishan

Will do :)

Riahrae

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:42 am

I know the title says nutmegs medical thread but I know I've mentions that all my girls might have gotten it so im not going to use a new thread for chestnut because I know if I do it'll get locked etc etc etc.

OK so I checked out chestnuts ear this morning and it's not crusty just looks like hear ear is peeling. Imagine if us humans gets sunburned then we peel. Well chestnuts ear is peeling on the inside of her ear. It's not yellow and crusty. Does anyone know what this could be? I've never seen this before.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:48 pm

It sounds most likely fungal. See if it responds to treatment for a fungal infection.

gl/fungus.html

Riahrae

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:52 pm

Any one please help

Image the peeling that I mentioned is in corner by glove

Image outside of her ear

Image eyes are clear.

Please anyone help if you know what this means

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:59 pm

You missed my post above. Likely fungal. Treat as if it is. Look for improvement.

Riahrae

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:15 pm

@lymx sorry I did miss it, thank you!😃

Riahrae

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:17 am

Nutmegs eye... is it still fungal looking?

Image[/img]

Riahrae

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:20 am

It seems to be looking worse??

My poor baby I feel so bad because it's near her eye

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:28 am

If you've treated for a week with the fungal cream and it has gotten worse, switch to a triple antibiotic cream. The problem may be bacterial rather than fungal.

Put it on sparingly and rub it in VERY well -- you don't want the pig to ingest any of the antibiotic cream.

But if it's no bigger than it was when you started the fungal treatment, then give it a while longer. It takes a long time to cure fungus. You'll know you're on the right track when you start to see hair coming back in.

Riahrae

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:42 am

@bpatters thank you hasn't been a week just a few days, I'm using location it has miconazole nitrate 2% in it. That's what I used for acorn were going to start a week day and night I have to apply it with my finger and hold her she moves a lot. Then after a week daily to do it every other day etc like I did acorn hopefully it get better. Her poor eye though

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:41 pm

Ditto bpatters.

Is she itching it or scratching at it?

If not, it likely looks worse to you than it feels to her.

Different types of antifungals work on different kinds of fungus. Do as bpatters recommends, but if that's ineffective go to the store and try a different antifungal cream. For example, Lotrimin is clotrimazole. It's in the same family, chemically, as miconazole, but slightly different, so it will work on different fungal organisms. Most of these end in '-azole'; that's how you can tell.

Be patient and keep going. It can take a while to show results and of course it needs to be treated, but unless it's obviously bothering her, it looks worse to you than it likely is.

Riahrae

Post   » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:29 am

@talishan thank you def trying it for the full week. If not better I'll try another cream.

I just feel bad because her eye looks droopy but it's probably the fact that the fungal is so close to her eye

Riahrae

Post   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Little update in chestnut and nutmeg

Nutmegs eye doesn't seem to be getting worse which is a plus I keep treating it I know it'll take a while to clear up

Chestnuts ear is getting better the dryness on her ear isn't as bad as it was and her ears inside arent peeling anymore just dry. Hopefully it clears up soon so acorn can meet them.

Mocha bear showing no signs yet still fully inspecton her

Riahrae

Post   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Little update in chestnut and nutmeg

Nutmegs eye doesn't seem to be getting worse which is a plus I keep treating it I know it'll take a while to clear up

Chestnuts ear is getting better the dryness on her ear isn't as bad as it was and her ears inside arent peeling anymore just dry. Hopefully it clears up soon so acorn can meet them.

Mocha bear showing no signs yet still fully inspecting her

Riahrae

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:11 pm

Will using coconut oil help her?[/img]

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Without reading back, what have you been putting on it?

It doesn't look to me like anything that coconut oil would help.

Riahrae

Post   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:10 pm

@bpatters, coconut oil won't work for fungal?

An I've been using micatin it has miconazole nitrate 2% in it. It seem to be getting better her eye isn't droopy and you can see her skin as opposed to flaky skin and scurfyness

92 posts