Hard lump under chin, soft poop as well?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:36 pm

Multiple introductions will NOT help, and will only hinder the process. They're wired to establish dominance, and every time you put them together and then separate them again, they start the whole process over from scratch. I'd wait until the weekend, or sometime when you can give it the whole day.

How large is the neutral area you're using? Do you have plenty of piles of food and hay around? No hideys in the enclosure?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:08 pm

We are using the hallway and part of the living room, it's maybe 12 feet in length? We have 3 piles of hay, and there are no little houses or anything around. I have all day on Tuesday, so that's probably the day I'll introduce them again.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:37 pm

Gracemackenz

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:30 am

Thanks for the link! It was just the thing I was looking for.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Gracemackenz

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:44 pm

I was giving Nickel her nightly medicine, and I think she threw up while I was squirting the last bit of medicine out of the syringe. It was brown liquid with green flecks of stuff, I'm assuming hay/ veggies. I don't know if I could have triggered a gag reflex (if they even have one), or she is sick? I think we might take her to the vet tomorrow, but she's acting how she normally does...

I know that they hide their sickness and all, but I've been weighing her daily, she's been eating alright, etc. so she seems healthy to me?
Last edited by Gracemackenz on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Guinea pigs can't vomit.

What medicine is she getting?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:51 pm

She's getting bactrim.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:51 pm

It's more likely that she's learned to spit it out. It doesn't take long for some of them to learn to do that.

Without reading back, why is she on Bactrim (what for)?

Gracemackenz

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:05 pm

She had an abscess and it's just so we can make sure it won't come back. We flush it out too, but the bactrim is an extra step I guess.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:26 pm

Probably not a bad idea, as long as she's tolerating it well.

That said, if it's being used as a precaution/in support of the abscess treatment, there's no harm done if she doesn't get the full dose one time. The most important thing is flushing the abscess and helping it to heal properly directly.

Carry on. :-)

Gracemackenz

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:53 am

Hey! I know I haven't said anything in a while, because all is well with the piggies! Until now, I think.

Rosie has been sneezing a lot lately, and sitting hunched back with her coat puffed out. She's still eating fine and all, but I read the symptoms of a URI and I'm scared that's what it could be. There's also some orange under her chin, but I just gave her some orange peppers, so that's what I think that's from..

Do you think it's a URI based on the sneezing and posture? I'm going to see a vet soon. It's better to be safe than sorry..